• Welcome to Crohn's Forum, a support group for people with all forms of IBD. While this community is not a substitute for doctor's advice and we cannot treat or diagnose, we find being able to communicate with others who have IBD is invaluable as we navigate our struggles and celebrate our successes. We invite you to join us.

Hello Everyone

Greetings everyone!

My story is pretty simple compared to most but with much commonality. I am 42 years old and started having problems

a year ago. At first just some blood with my normal stool, then more blood, then pretty much all blood. After a

couple of months I met with a GI who immediately called for a colonoscopy, my first. The diagnosis was severe

ulcerative colitis in my lower colon and rectum.

I started on Asacol right away and stayed on it for a month until my next GI visit. Asacol was doing nothing but

giving me acne so my doc prescribed Colazal. I was on Colazal for about 3 weeks when I got very sick; for almost a

week I couldn't eat or drink anything without it going right through me - lost 6 pounds in 36 hours. What a rotten

week. Contacted my doctor and they started me on a mess of tests, both blood and stool. Before the tests we back

my doctor was convinced that I had C.dif and started me on Flagyl. On day 9 of 10 I was told that the tests were

negative for C.dif. Back to the drawing board! In early December I stared on Prednisone and ramped pretty quickly

to 60mg per day. So, I rode the Prednisone wagon for a few months and then had a sigmoidoscopy - the diagnosis was

the same with slightly worsening condition. Continued on with Prednisone and started getting approved for Remicade.

Around the 1st of March I started on Remicade. Near the end of April I met with a new GI and had another

colonoscopy. The remicade wasn't doing any good and I got a new diagnosis, Crohn's. After much discussion about

what "might" work and what the reality was with taking other drugs like remicade, my doctor suggested Tysabri. That

was May 20th and I just had my first Tysabri infusion yesterday.

Honestly, I wasn't sure I was going to start the Tysabri it until I walked into the facility. Up until yesterday, I

had been drug free for over a month and not suffering too badly. I am taking fish oil caplets and drinking aloe

vera juice daily and my bleeding had mostly subsided. Unfortunately, I am still going 10 to 12 times a day and have

terrible joint pain - mostly knees and elbows. So, with that in mind I went on in and got hooked up to the liquid

gold and we'll see what happens now.

That's the short version and like I said, pretty simple. Oh by the way, I almost forgot to mention that my older

brother was diagnosed with Crohn's in 1988 - his disease location and symptoms are completely different than mine.

Fun stuff.

I hope I have some good things to share with everyone down the road!

Good luck to all!

My Butt Hurts

Squeals-a-lot!
Hi Sugardog. Good luck with the Tysabri, let us know how it works for you as there aren't a lot of us on here who are on it. Welcome to the forum.

Welcome to the forum. Glad to hear you finally got what seems to be the correct diagnosis.

Where is your brother's Crohn's? Mine is in the large intestine only.