Share Facebook
Crohn's Disease Forum » Your Story » Symptoms. Not yet diagnosed

06-29-2014, 09:14 PM   #1
rawvegan

Symptoms. Not yet diagnosed

Hello everyone!
I really need anyones help or advice.

A few days ago I woke up in the middle of the night with pain in my lower left abdomen, this has never happened before. Then just yesterday, I got up in the morning as usual and drank some water, then I had excruciating pain all over my lower abdomen this lasted for about 30 minutes. I couldn't stand up the pain was so so bad. I had an urge and went to the bathroom and there was literally a flow of water coming out of me, it was very watery diarrhea. I looked into the toilet and saw that my dinner from last night did not digest at all! There was chunks of what I ate, just as I had chewed it, is exactly how it came out. My body is clearly not absorbing any nutrients. Is this a signs that I may have colitis or crohn's?

I've noticed in the past month that I've been more fatigued, my hair has been falling out more, my bones feel achey, and my acne has exploded on my face! I don't know if these are related at all. Has anyone else has these effects?

My history is that I've always had periods of constipation, sometimes I would go 2 weeks with no bowel movement. Then I may have a time where I go 2-3 times a day of very loose stools, this has lasted for months sometime. I have always had bad gas, bloating, and an overall uncomfortable feeling after a meal.

I have not been to the doctor's about this problem. I was wondering if anyone has experienced any of these issues, thank you!
06-29-2014, 09:28 PM   #2
Ali29

My Support Groups:
Sounds like you have been having a terrible time. I would advise seeing a GI ASAP and have tests run to see what is going on asap.

Good luck.
Diagnosises - Mast Cell Activation Disorder, IBD Small Intestine-duodenum-villi blunted, Bile Acid/Fat Malabsorption, Chronic nausea-vomiting/pain, esophageal dismotility, mucosal edema, acid hypersecretion, Lymphocytic Colitis, Ocular Migraines, gallbladder removed

Current Meds: H1 H2 Anti Histamines, PPI, Enteragam, Lomotil, Phenergan, Percoset

Meds that did not work: Pentasa, Lialda, Zenpep, Entocort EC, Carafate, Elavil, Lotronex, Desipramine, Questran/Welchol severe bloating/pain.
06-29-2014, 10:19 PM   #3
DJW
Forum Monitor

My Support Groups:
∑ Stoma
Hi rawvegan and welcome.

Something is definitely going on. I agree you need to be seen by a doctor.

I hope this gets sorted out quickly. Can I assume you're vegan? Hopefully veganostomy will be along soon.

Visit Crohn's and Colitis Canada:
http://www.crohnsandcolitis.ca/site/...tis_Canada.htm

Living in Ontario with no drug benefits?

Trillium Drug Program:
http://www.health.gov.on.ca/en/publi..._trillium.aspx

Dave
06-30-2014, 01:16 AM   #4
Hope345
Forum Monitor

My Support Groups:
welcome to the forum.

Not sure what it is... need to find out.

Start keeping a diary of all foods eating and what happens and how you feel.
this can be a help for you, your doctors and future testing.

Might be good to eliminate dairy and wheat for now too. You may be allergic to one of them...

keep us updated and your story could help others going through some of the same symptoms.

I would recommend the food allergy test. That was one easy thing our GI did not suggest and would have been very helpful. It has to been done before you get on any immunosuppressants or predinosone.
Daughter (age 17) diagnosed with Crohns Colitis/UC 1/2012 Mod/severe changed to U.C.: 11/7/2014 anemia:blood transfusion current: Flare, weaning from Prednisone, still bloating: Meds ,Pentesa: 2000mg twice daily, Vegan diet, mesalamine enemas .Previous: mercaptopurine, Remicade (13 treatments), Imuran, prednisone ), Flagyl, iron infusions, cortifoam,
Continue to be hopeful
Daughter: age 21, undiagnosed: GI issues
06-30-2014, 07:44 AM   #5
rawvegan

Thanks for the advice

I actually went vegan (gluten free, raw) a year ago for health reasons and animal rights. I also thought it would help me stay more "regular" but I have seen no difference and then that episode happened.

I don't want to blame it on the vegan diet, but I may be allergic to some the fruit and veg, since that's all my diet consists of. I will definitely keep a food journal!
06-30-2014, 07:55 AM   #6
rawvegan

Thanks for the advice

I actually went vegan (gluten free, raw) a year ago for health reasons and animal rights. I also thought it would help me stay more "regular" but I have seen no difference and then that episode happened.

I don't want to blame it on the vegan diet, but I may be allergic to some the fruit and veg, since that's all my diet consists of. I will definitely keep a food journal!
06-30-2014, 11:20 AM   #7
happyballerina

My Support Groups:
I was actually going to suggest that what your describing sounds more like celiac disease than Crohn's/Colitis, but then I saw you said that you are already eating gluten. If you ate gluten (even by accident through cross contamination) after a long time of being gluten free, it would be pretty typical for what you experienced to happen. Is there any chance you had some gluten?

Also, maybe I am misunderstanding, but I was under the impression that this was a one-off thing. You said you have a history of D and C, but it seems like this one episode was new and also acute. Diarrhea is said to be chronic if it lasts longer than 2 weeks. If what happened was pretty much confined to yesterday, that's a good thing because it means there is a higher chance of it being something like food poisoning rather than a chronic illness. Of course, it could be any number of things causing you the D and GI issues, so you really would need to go to the doctor to find out what it is.

Not too long ago, I read that one of the ways a doctor might differentiate from IBS and IBD is to check whether or not the symptoms of D or C are consistent, or if they are changing. According to what I read, alternating diarrhea and constipation is something that is typical for IBS, but not at all frequent in IBD. Likewise, someone presenting with diarrhea and only diarrhea, or alternatively constipation and only constipation, that's an indication for further testing as it is not typical behavior for IBS (which does tend to fluctuate). Here is the excerpt from the article:
One of the things that I look for is whether or not a patientís IBS symptoms fluctuate. It doesnít matter if their IBS symptoms are constipation predominant or diarrhea predominant, or in between; I am looking for changes in their symptom patterns that might indicate the development of some other type of health problem. This is a grey area, because no IBS patient has identical symptoms from day to day. One thing that is absolutely characteristic of IBS is the number of bowel movements that IBS patients have from day to day. One day, they may have two bowel movements; the next day they might only have one; the day after that, they might not have any; and on day four, they might have three or four. Such fluctuations arenít really abnormal when it comes to IBS. But if a patient comes to me and says, ďIím having ten bowel movements a day, every single day,Ē then thatís a worrisome symptom to me and merits a colonoscopy, because IBS, generally speaking, doesnít behave that way. In IBS there is always some degree of fluctuation in the number of the patientís daily bowel movements.

Just as importantly, if a patient suddenly starts to experience constipation to the point where he or she is having only one very hard bowel movement a week and this never changes, then thatís of concern to me, too, and Iím more apt to investigate further. Iím apt to consider looking for the possibility of celiac disease when I treat the patientís bacterial overgrowth and it comes back immediately. Or when I do the breath test and the patient doesnít have bacterial overgrowth at all, and therefore bacterial overgrowth is not the explanation for his or her symptoms. Overall, however, I think performing the breath test first to check for bacterial overgrowth actually increases your likelihood of detecting other possible conditions.
Are you planning on seeing a doctor? You didn't say anything about rectal bleeding so I assume you haven't had any, but if you do or if in the future it happens, you definitely need to see a doctor. Usually rectal bleeding is due to hemorrhoids, especially if it's a bright red, but it's a symptom that should go ignored as it can also be due to more malicious reasons. No bleeding is a good sign.

I know you don't want to blame your diet, but there is good reason to suspect that it is the culprit behind the gas, bloating, and discomfort. Have you tried digestive enzymes? Have you tried probiotics and/or prebiotics? Have you tried cooking your fruits and vegetables instead of eating them raw? And were you serious when you said that your diet consists of only fruits and vegetables? I would try these things first as they are relatively easy changes to make and are safe and noninvasive.

Basically, if the episode is not confined to itself and lasts for longer than two weeks; if you have bleeding; and/or if none of the changes suggested above help - you should go to the doctor. How are you feeling today?

P.S. sorry for the long answer but I hope it helped

Dx IBD August 22, 2014
Dx Crohn's Disease September 10, 2014

Current IBD meds: Entocort, Humira
Past IBD meds: Rowasa

Future doctor
06-30-2014, 12:10 PM   #8
Orchid
Banned

My Support Groups:
Important thing: You're going to have to cut the raw veggies if it's IBD (at this point it could be pancreas, liver, or stomach problems - you need to speak to medical professionals), they absolutely ruin people during flares. Steaming the snot out of them or boiling them should be enough. Your symptoms could be a lot of things at this point but the consistent history of them suggests IBD, but you need to speak to a medical professional.
06-30-2014, 02:28 PM   #9
Geckles

Go to your GP, tell him all your symptoms & hopefully you won't get diagnosed as having a inflammatory bowel disease. I agree with all the other posts ie keep a diary of what your eating & how many times your going to the toilet. Btw do you have an appetite & are you being sick ?
06-30-2014, 05:17 PM   #10
rawvegan

@happyballerina
There is no chance that I ate gluten. Before I went gluten free though, I would get constipated from eating it.
It does sound like IBS! Since my symptoms switch back and forth. Today I feel okay, after I eat I feel the urge to go but then nothing happensÖwhich is annoying.
Probiotics don't make a difference for me, and it doesn't matter if the vegetables are cooked or raw.
Thank you so much! That was very helpful

@Geckles
I do have an appetite but after eating a small amount I feel full, then my stomach starts turning, I have the urge to go, but nothing happens. I definitely want to see a doctor soon. Thank you!
06-30-2014, 05:25 PM   #11
rawvegan

The thing that scared me the most was that my food did not digest at all. Just as I had chewed and swallowed it, is how it came out. That means my body is not absorbing nutrients.

Is this typical of IBS, crohn's or colitis? Or could it be low stomach acid or the wrong pH?
06-30-2014, 05:32 PM   #12
Orchid
Banned

My Support Groups:
That could be a lot of things, pancreatic digestive enzymes might not be reaching the intestines, bile acids might not be properly leaving the liver, or very serious inflammation due to IBD because the proper ducts are swollen shut. The forum wiki has an article on common problem foods for those with IBD while they're in a flare, the list is neither comprehensive or standard to all people with IBD - these are just the most common and you need to keep a food diary and monitor your symptoms to discover your own patterns. If all veggies, even extremely cooked, are trigger foods for you you may have to abandon your veganism just to find things you can eat; a lot of plants are very, very difficult when you're in a flare. Until then you might be able to subsist on Ensure drinks but they taste like ass and I don't know if they're vegan.
06-30-2014, 09:22 PM   #13
emily_v

My Support Groups:
Generally with Crohn's, there is pain on your lower right side.. but there is deffs something not normal going on that you need to get checked out asap. Perhaps its an allergy to something or maybe you are lactose intolerant or something?

Feel better soon!

Emily, 17, Ontario, CAN
06-30-2014, 09:32 PM   #14
Orchid
Banned

My Support Groups:
Yeah. The fact it's on the left is suggestive of pancreas issues to me more than IBD.
06-30-2014, 09:33 PM   #15
happyballerina

My Support Groups:
Or diverticulitis.

06-30-2014, 09:50 PM   #16
rawvegan

There are so many things it could be! I'm lost. Pancreas problems, diverticulitis, IBS, crohn's, colitis, enzyme problemsÖ.

Guess it's time to see a doctor.

But would any of these cause cystic acne to appear on my face? They are huge and painful I didn't have anything like this before.
06-30-2014, 10:05 PM   #17
happyballerina

My Support Groups:
They may be related and they may not. It might be that stressing about the GI situation is causing acne. It may be that a hormonal problem is responsible for both or alternatively that an inflammatory process is the cause of both. Or they could be completely unrelated. I think you said it best - time to see a doctor! Keep us updated <3

06-30-2014, 10:11 PM   #18
emily_v

My Support Groups:
Actually cystic acne and skin problems are linked to GI related stuff and can happen wen you have Crohn's. I know from experience, I suffer from cystic acne but I have managed to keep it under control! There have been the odd time when I get a few but it's mostly because there was something going on In my intestines from eating some food that didn't agree.

But do not worry, no matter what it is- you will be able to manage it!
06-30-2014, 10:39 PM   #19
Orchid
Banned

My Support Groups:
Seriously talk to a doctor. There are so many things that could be wrong right now and you need a medical professional to make it right. There's nothing you can do to fix it on your own.
06-30-2014, 10:49 PM   #20
rawvegan

Thank you everyone! I will try to see my doctor soon and keep you updated on my condition.
07-03-2014, 03:35 PM   #21
Orchid
Banned

My Support Groups:
I forgot to mention, VeganOstomy has had Crohn's and kept her vegan diet, so I'm tagging her in to see if she can give you some advice on eating vegan with CD.
07-03-2014, 04:36 PM   #22
rawvegan

@Orchid
Thank you so much! I really appreciate it
07-07-2014, 08:22 AM   #23
VeganOstomy

My Support Groups:
∑ Stoma
I forgot to mention, VeganOstomy has had Crohn's and kept her vegan diet, so I'm tagging her in to see if she can give you some advice on eating vegan with CD.
Thanks for the shout out, I keep missing the threads I'm tagged in... going to have to check my notification settings.

I'm a dude, BTW

@rawvegan I went raw vegan soon after my diagnosis, but things rapidly got worse for me after the 6 month mark. I was doing David Klein's protocol from his "Self-healing Crohn's and colitis" book, I then transitioned to 80/10/10. I honestly don't find any benefits to being 100% raw, and in fact, it's likely a detriment when you consider there are many beneficial plant-foods that you're simply missing out on (like. steamed sweet potatoes, oats, quinoa) and cooking will make things a LOT easier.

I do suggest you visit with your doc and see what's up. My Crohn's was focused on my rectum and colon, but I had pains from left to center to right, as well as terrible back spasms. Pains went away, but it cost me my colon and rectum in the process... hopefully you don't have IBD, but it's better to catch it early if you do!

Good luck and keep in touch!

https://www.veganostomy.ca
https://www.youtube.com/user/Veganostomy/
https://www.facebook.com/Veganostomy
https://www.twitter.com/VeganOstomy

07-08-2014, 06:33 PM   #24
rawvegan

Actually eating all raw helps me stay more "regular", whereas eating rice, potatoes,Ö actually constipates me for sometimes weeks at a time.
I will be seeing my doctor soon!
07-08-2014, 06:38 PM   #25
Orchid
Banned

My Support Groups:
That's normal, our problem foods are usually completely unique. A lot of people struggle with carbonated drinks while their IBD is active for example, but I don't. And any vegetables gave me horrible diarrhea and made me regret being alive, no matter how cooked. I basically subsisted on garlic bagels, deli sliced turkey, and mulitvitamins.

Crohn's Disease Forum » Your Story » Symptoms. Not yet diagnosed