• Welcome to Crohn's Forum, a support group for people with all forms of IBD. While this community is not a substitute for doctor's advice and we cannot treat or diagnose, we find being able to communicate with others who have IBD is invaluable as we navigate our struggles and celebrate our successes. We invite you to join us.

How long can you have an abscess before you know it

I am recovering from an abdominal abscess surgery and was wondering how a long a person can have one before they know they have it? For instance could someone have an abdominal abscess for a month and not know it?
And how long do these thing drain for? I thought it was done draning then all the suddon it started draning a lot then slowed back down.

TIA

I have never had an abdominal one but I would guess that like the rectal ones each is unique. I had one drained in April and the surgeon thinks it may have started in November and just was not spotted when they checked - they assumed my issues were from a smaller one elsewhere. At the time they hit me with IV antibiotics and drained the little one - it was months before if started bugging me again. I had no idea there was a second one.

How long it will drain depends on how well they drained it / cleaned it up in the first place. If it does not stop draining you could have a fistula.

I'm currently having an abdominal abscess drained. I've had the drain in for four weeks as of tomorrow. For the first two or three days it drained quite a bit of brown and then yellow material. A week after I got the drain it started spurting out bits of blood/fleshy looking material, and then nothing for a day. But, then it started back up with more yellow stuff and it hasnt stopped for about 2 weeks now. My doctor admitted me to the hospital again and now its back to brown. Very frustrating process! I'm pretty sure I had the abscess a few weeks before it was drained. It was very painful, swollen and red on the skin. My docotor said that if I developed any sort of fever to go to the er right away to avoid septic shock.