Share Facebook
Crohn's Disease Forum » Surgery » Fistulas, Fissures and Abscesses » How long can you have an abscess before you know it

07-03-2014, 02:46 PM   #1
cleuger

My Support Groups:
How long can you have an abscess before you know it

I am recovering from an abdominal abscess surgery and was wondering how a long a person can have one before they know they have it? For instance could someone have an abdominal abscess for a month and not know it?
And how long do these thing drain for? I thought it was done draning then all the suddon it started draning a lot then slowed back down.

TIA

Diagnosed 10/02/2012 Crohns Colitis
05/28/14 Surgery Abscess due to Fistula
09/18/2014 Surgery Total Proctocolectomy
rectum removed and closed up.
Best Decision I ever made.

Gastro Released me said I didn't need meds any longer

Have 3 kids only 1 at home 17 yr old is Type 1 Diabetic

Currently Taking
Tramadol
Xanax
Multi Vitiman
07-04-2014, 09:35 AM   #2
Sailorluna
Forum Monitor

My Support Groups:
I have never had an abdominal one but I would guess that like the rectal ones each is unique. I had one drained in April and the surgeon thinks it may have started in November and just was not spotted when they checked - they assumed my issues were from a smaller one elsewhere. At the time they hit me with IV antibiotics and drained the little one - it was months before if started bugging me again. I had no idea there was a second one.

How long it will drain depends on how well they drained it / cleaned it up in the first place. If it does not stop draining you could have a fistula.

Symptoms since 98
Resection and diagnosis June 2010
3 fistulas
abscess drained 6 times (so far...)
currently 2 seton in place 1 since 9/11 the other 4/14
1 strange small air pocket with an 8 cm sinus track leading into the great unknown
methotrexate weekly
folic acid
2 lomotil
2 Welchol
B12 injections (monthly)
Remicade

_____
Goodbye Humira
Goodbye Cimzia
Goodbye Azathiprine
07-09-2014, 02:22 PM   #3
eastcoast

My Support Groups:
I'm currently having an abdominal abscess drained. I've had the drain in for four weeks as of tomorrow. For the first two or three days it drained quite a bit of brown and then yellow material. A week after I got the drain it started spurting out bits of blood/fleshy looking material, and then nothing for a day. But, then it started back up with more yellow stuff and it hasnt stopped for about 2 weeks now. My doctor admitted me to the hospital again and now its back to brown. Very frustrating process! I'm pretty sure I had the abscess a few weeks before it was drained. It was very painful, swollen and red on the skin. My docotor said that if I developed any sort of fever to go to the er right away to avoid septic shock.
-Cipro
-Flagyl
-Prednisone
Previous Meds:
-Humira
-Asacol
-Entocort
-Omeprazole

Crohn's Disease Forum » Surgery » Fistulas, Fissures and Abscesses » How long can you have an abscess before you know it