• Welcome to Crohn's Forum, a support group for people with all forms of IBD. While this community is not a substitute for doctor's advice and we cannot treat or diagnose, we find being able to communicate with others who have IBD is invaluable as we navigate our struggles and celebrate our successes. We invite you to join us.

Katie's garden!

I decided to grow lots of things myself this year. So I know that it's not full of anything nasty, and it then cannot upset my intestines! (I hope)!

The result is that have discovered how much I love growing things!
My boyfriend and I moved into our house, and the garden was awful, so have been growing things in pots, but they will be in the ground next year I hope!

So far:
Courgettes aplenty, mini sweetcorn are on their way, as are the runner beans. My tomatoes have began a slight obsession, and are growing happily, even though they fell off the windowsill the other day and a bit broke off! I have also got sweet peppers starting to form!

Yay!

I was wondering if anyone else has been doing this?

Katie :)

I am on vacation this week and plan to start my own garden too! I have an apple tree and it is great. I love picking the apples off of it and it is nice to know that they don't have any pesticides. I want to grow tomatoes for sure. Have to see what will grow in this area. My mom has pineapples, peppers, and tomatoes.

My Dad is a leading horticultural expert, he sells rare bulbs, not the kind of things you'd see in a garden centre. They're aimed at people who want to spend serious time and money tending to something to be honest. I still live with my parents and so I've seen him grow an awful lot of things over the years and he's just started recently with vegetables again.

We have an orchard, mainly plums, figs and different varieties of apples. Blackcurrent and redcurrent patches and a small strawberry one which also has the teeny tiny alpine strawberries in it, they were all there when we bought the house though. We have banana plants and an olive tree too but they don't do anything here!

My Dad has also planted beds with lettuces and other leaves, mangetout, squashes, courgettes, lots of beans/peas, carrots, broccoli, raspberries, tomatoes etc. I suppose it's easier for him to devote time and effort too, since he works from home. I think it's excellent though that now more and more people are putting their land to use and being more self sufficient I suppose. I haven't really sampled a lot of what my Dad has grown however, since I'm on the Elemental diet at present, sucks!

I have been growing veggies since I was a kid & am lucky enough to have married a wife that loves gardening as much as I do.

Right now we have growing, Cherokee Purple Tomatoes, Golden Mama Tomatoes, broccoli, fennel, sweet yellow onions, chiles galore, collard greens, mixed greens & tons of herbs. It is so awesome to nurture a plant from seed to bountiful harvest.

Right now are growing in containers b/c we have no yard since we live in the middle of the city.

My mom loves having a garden around, but I'm not fond of helping with the planting, as she likes things like squash and zucchini that I don't like. Plus, I thought of the wrong Katie when I read the title. Whoops. :)

I've got a small veggie bed with coriander, carrots and a couple of yellow courgette plants in it. Also have a few raspberry canes which have given us a good crop this year.

It's not a very big house, just a small rented house in Walkley... I am just trying to make the most of all the space! Do you know Walkley.. Oh and I used to live in Crookes...? :)

I just munched down a courgette!

I have green tomatoes! I want them to go red now! :)

Gave my mum my first mini cucumber! She said it was good, but she has to really doesn't she?!
Katie :)

Katiepede said:
I decided to grow lots of things myself this year. So I know that it's not full of anything nasty, and it then cannot upset my intestines! (I hope)!

The result is that have discovered how much I love growing things!
My boyfriend and I moved into our house, and the garden was awful, so have been growing things in pots, but they will be in the ground next year I hope!

So far:
Courgettes aplenty, mini sweetcorn are on their way, as are the runner beans. My tomatoes have began a slight obsession, and are growing happily, even though they fell off the windowsill the other day and a bit broke off! I have also got sweet peppers starting to form!
wow! Sounds cool! :)

I always assumed it was difficult to grow stuff in your garden with a lot of preparation, attention and the right tools / soil / pots etc. Was it tricky to get it all started off?

I want to try and start a herb garden because I much prefer using fresh herbs in my cooking to dried herbs, but the fresh stuff you get in the shops just doesn't last long enough...

We planted our first vegetable garden this year. I used to hate working in the garden as a child, as we grew some of our own food. I still do not enjoy it, but I like to eat.

Got some sweet corn, carrots, potatoes, peas, and a few other odds and ends.

I also planted three apple trees and a cherry tree and some rhubarb.

I have a big pile of horse manure to mix in for next year.

The hard part is keeping the Deer from chewing it all down. I will have to fence it all in next year. Or start hunting out of season with a flashlight taped on the rifle barrel.