Share Facebook
Crohn's Disease Forum » Your Story » Mild crohn's-not looking forward to more than mild

07-07-2014, 07:30 PM   #1
NWFM2CROHNS

Mild crohn's-not looking forward to more than mild

I've been battling fructose malabsorption for about 5 years and have done really well with diet and keeping it under control. Im a endurance mountain bike racer and have even excelled at my sport through years of trial and error.
I just got diagnosed with crohn's after having severe diarrhea for 9 days and ending up in the hospital. Im waiting for lab work to come back on a bunch of biopsy's they took while doing scopes and my glands in neck are really really sore to touch so I may have more going on than just crohn's.
But wow crohn's has really thrown me for a loop my guts really hurt and food just doesn't seam to work well at all. And my energy level is so low I don't want to do anything, which is really weird for me I usually train on my bike 10 to 16 hours a week.
I guess some of it could be my anemia which Ive struggled with for 6-7 years and my numbers are really low right now but as usual I can never find a doc that is willing to really do anything about the anemia except to say take iron.
Any advice is much appreciated.
07-07-2014, 08:00 PM   #2
DJW
Forum Monitor

My Support Groups:
Hi. Don't give up on mountain biking. I think it's great you're doing it.

You may not get crohns complications. It's important to knock the inflammation out quickly. Often doctors will agressively treat the inflammation. Keep a food and symptom journal to identify trigger foods.

I hope you get remission quickly.

Visit Crohn's and Colitis Canada:
http://www.crohnsandcolitis.ca/site/...tis_Canada.htm

Living in Ontario with no drug benefits?

Trillium Drug Program:
http://www.health.gov.on.ca/en/publi..._trillium.aspx

Dave
07-07-2014, 08:11 PM   #3
mallowpufft

Definitely get that anemia taken care of. I take 65 mg of iron a day to function. Three days without it and I'm sleeping 14 hours a day. I, too, love mountain biking. I've never been an endurance ride but I used to get rides of 12-25 miles in without any major issues. A couple years back things flared badly and I developed a fistula that would bleed after only 4 miles on mild trails. I was devastated. I could get up to ten on a buddies FS 29er set up but due to my budget all I could afford to do was add a suspension post. It helped some but not a ton. After a year or so of Humira I started getting out more and can now get a twelve mile road ride in. It isn't much, but it makes me happy. Plus a local ski area here in VA put in a downhill MTB park last year and even though my little hard tail is about to die, I get out there two to three days a week and ride all day. It helps that I'm standing up most of the time . But I still have my fun, just in a little bit different way.
07-07-2014, 09:13 PM   #4
NWFM2CROHNS

Do you really notice being of iron for just a few days? I've tried all kinds and amounts of oral iron for 6-7 years and have never noticed anything and my anemia has never really improved on blood test either.
07-07-2014, 09:18 PM   #5
mallowpufft

Do you really notice being of iron for just a few days? I've tried all kinds and amounts of oral iron for 6-7 years and have never noticed anything and my anemia has never really improved on blood test either.
Yeah, usually less than a week and the fatigue and exhaustion set in. After two weeks my short term memory goes out. And yes, I did experiment to see. I travel a lot (put 47k miles on my car in 18 months) and wanted to know what would happen if I forgot my meds and couldn't get more.

Crohn's Disease Forum » Your Story » Mild crohn's-not looking forward to more than mild