• Welcome to Crohn's Forum, a support group for people with all forms of IBD. While this community is not a substitute for doctor's advice and we cannot treat or diagnose, we find being able to communicate with others who have IBD is invaluable as we navigate our struggles and celebrate our successes. We invite you to join us.

New to Crohns an wondering whats ahead

I am new to this disease diagnosed yesterday. I know now my previous habit will have to be modified. I'm goingg to pay close aattention yo commen denomitors that may lead to flares. I am curious to k ow if every flair will lead to loss of work.... I hope not.. Is every flare an infection? I don't have much for now as I'm in bed starving an in pain.. I also have diverticulosis so is it possible to have both flared at once. I m sure that would be very unpleasant.

Everyone's IBD is different and each flare can have a completely different set of symptoms so maybe you can keep working during some. Flares aren't infections, for some reason the body embarks on a sustained immune/inflammatory response in the GI tract, it might be but we're really not sure. Many of the genes implicated in Crohn's are involved in detecting and effectively eliminating bacteria from the digestive tract.

Hi Mary!

So sorry to hear about your less than desirable diagnosis, but take it from me - It's not the end of the world, although it can feel like it. The first little while can be challenging while doctors work out what meds work for you, but hang in there! It personally took me around 12 months to be stable enough to go back to work, and feel well enough to go about normal daily activities.

As far as work goes, you shouldn't lose your job when you flare. Once you're diagnosed, and you do have any kind of flare, doctors are usually able to manage it fairly quickly and effectively. Let me stipulate though, sick leave is a precious thing! I know I use all mine each year, however this is usually due to me picking up some germ from the office because some idiot was too awesome to take the day off sick. Obviously when we're immunocompromised we tend to pick up virus' etc more easy than others.

As Orchid mentioned though, a flare doesn't always indicate infection. Sometimes you can flare just due to a stressful life period. It really is a very individual thing.

I wish you all the best, and urge you to stay strong mentally! This can often be the most challenging aspect of chronic illness. You've definitely taken the right step though, by joking this forum as a support! :heart: