Share Facebook
Crohn's Disease Forum » Support Forum » IBD and Mental Health Support Group

04-25-2016, 10:05 PM   #31
Ann Morgan
I've found having people to talk to, some sort of support network, is useful.
I also use https://www.moodscope.com/ to keep track of my mood. It hasn't necessarily helped me feel that much better, but it gives me perspective, and helps me understand the details of what's going on with my mood a little better.
I've also started checking out http://www.depressiontribe.com/ as well, as a forum for depression related issues. I've had a couple of good responses there from what little I posted a couple of months ago.
I was using depression tribe for a while, but then I got off of that website. Unfortunately the one or two "bad" people using the website as their own little playground to toy with people's minds and emotions ruin it for the sincere participants trying to get support and understanding.
04-26-2016, 07:33 AM   #32
NeverDull

My Support Groups:
Since I have been dealing with both problems - CD and MD since my late teens. Now 64, I have tried many ways to navigate the unexpected ups and downs of both.
Menopause caused a major breakdown and severe crisis, and have been on meds ever since. They help a lot, once you have found the right mix for you.
I don't recommend websites in general for support, especially when you are in a fragile state and need kindness and tolerance.
Seems there are always a few well established members there who make it their domain, and you are at their mercy.
Best to try one on one support on the internet. That's what I'm doing now, and it is truly wonderful.
Try your national association for Crohn's disease for this type of program. I can guarantee nobody will play mind games or make you feel worse.
Good luck.
64 years old
Diagnosed with Crohn's 1970
Non responsive to any IBD drugs.
Permanent Ileostomy Surgery 1992
Major Depression Diagnosed 2001
Stoma hernia 2010
Married 22 years, 2 dogs.
04-26-2016, 01:14 PM   #33
Spooky1
Forum Monitor

My Support Groups:
I hit major issues with my menopause too. I also had to contend with my older sisters sudden onset menopause as she had aggressive cancer. My dad had cancer at exactly the same time and mum had strokes leaving her with vascular dementia. What a nightmare four years. I also had to take meds and i'm still trying to come out the other side.
04-26-2016, 01:54 PM   #34
NeverDull

My Support Groups:
Spooky life is terrible like that, sends you a bunch of very stressful situations at the same time. Aging is not easy either. Hang in there.
05-23-2016, 05:02 PM   #35
Ann Morgan
I have been through a lot the past 11 years and I honestly never thought I had the coping skills to get through all of the things I have had to deal with, but obviously I must have because I am still here and breathing and thinking and functioning.

I had a really bad mental breakdown in 2007. I was in the psychiatric hospital. After that I saw a psychiatrist and was prescribed psychiatric medications, but I never really came out of the "fog" that I was living with in my brain. I also had no aftercare at that time. But in October 2013 I was hospitalized again and I received a proper diagnosis and a completely different "cocktail" of psychiatric medications. And I went to an aftercare program that really helped me. I also qualified for a program here and I have available to me a Critical Care Coordinator, a Nurse, a Psychiatrist and some places where I can attend to go to classes and to socialize. This time I have come out of my "fog" and I am happier and functioning better.

I was unable to read books for quite a while, due to my loss of concentration and focus and memory. But a miracle happened early this year, when I actually read an entire paperback novel. I have read 14 books during the past 4 months. Like I said, it is a miracle and I finally have something back that I used to enjoy so much. Add that to the 30 pounds I have lost this year and it appears my year is starting off to a great start. : - )
05-23-2016, 05:36 PM   #36
NeverDull

My Support Groups:
Thanks Ann for your candid story and the good outcome which finally happened for you. I'm so glad.
My one on one support for the CD is working well too, makes a huge difference in my overall well being and flexibility to stress.
I think my message is never give up trying to all. :-)
08-30-2016, 08:41 PM   #37
Ann Morgan
There is a local Crohns/Ulcerative Colitis Support Group in the city I live in. I have never gone to one of their meeting. Has anyone attended a support group like this ?
09-08-2016, 03:06 AM   #38
Marie23

Thanks for sharing about your mental health problems. You know you are not alone but many others don't share this aspect of our diseases. I have been in therapy for the last 5 years. While I didn't need to go into a hospital my Internist was making me come in to see her monthly until I found a good therapist and psychiatrist. It happened after my colonectomy for UC pan colon and diverticulitis. I was in the hospital 3 times longer than expected. It was hell.

Our guts really are our 2nd brains as the colon helps in production of serotonin, which the lack of brings on depression. I was diagnosed with major depression disorder and PTSD along with generalized anxiety disorder. I had EMDR treatment for PTSD and for that we had to go back to the first trauma in my life and that was way back to my childhood and abuse by my mother after my parents divorced. The surgery didn't actually cause it but it tipped the scale as to how much trauma I guess I could deal with in my life.

I know what you mean about brain fog, not being able to read a book and you have helped me. I know I can get better but it has been a struggle. I first had a j-pouch formed inside when my colon was removed. It never worked as it should. Without going into all that was wrong, a lot of problems occurred and my GI at the Mayo Clinic referred me to a surgeon there and we all met deciding the j-pouch had to be removed. I have had 5 surgeries for this UC related problems and had had 2 other abdominal surgeries before then.

I am doing better after the removal but am still in therapy and seeing a psychiatrist who prescribes my medications. People need to know that we can't just talk ourselves out of mental illness. Chronic disease and resulting chronic pain wears us down. I have not given up hope but it is difficult. Fortunately our children are adults. I have fibromyalgia and peripheral neuropathy and so on.

So good for you for getting the help you needed and for reading those books!
04-16-2017, 04:05 AM   #39
Juulez

My Support Groups:
😎lets get this group going again I think it will help a lot of us I know it will help me! The depression that goes along with this/these diseases is devastating and I know many of you could help me. And I hope I can help you!🤝🌈🏝
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_2084.JPG (52.7 KB, 23 views)
04-17-2017, 02:26 PM   #40
Glockola

Juulez - I think that's a great idea!

What do you find is the toughest mentally to deal with that triggers your depression and also anxiety?

For me it's just really tough being always tired (want sleep all day), socially isolated and being house bond way too much.

Do you see a good psychiatrist? And are you currently on any medication that you find helpful?
04-17-2017, 02:29 PM   #41
ronroush7
Forum Monitor

My Support Groups:
When I am at my worst, I can weep for no reason.

Diagnosed in 1990. On Humira, Imuran, Gabapentin, Colestipol, Synthroid, Lialda. Resection in April of 2010. Allergic to Remicade, Penicillin, Flagyl, Doxycycline. Thyroid issues and psoriasis and neuropathy and mild cerebral palsy. Mild arthritis in my lower back.
04-17-2017, 02:38 PM   #42
Juulez

My Support Groups:
Oh I cry all of the time! But I am so lonely and being stuck in the house doesn't help. It's like drs hospital pharmacy home. Couch or bed. I feel like I have no life. Recently my pain has started making me see things thank god for s good psychiatrist. I take Zoloft seroquel ativan trileptal. That's all for psych. Enough huh? Depression sucks sometimes I can't get out of bed shower anything. Oh Crohn's disease I love you...lol
💜Julie
04-17-2017, 02:51 PM   #43
Glockola

Same here, also stuck in the house days on end. I tend to get really quiet, passive and suicidal almost when things look dark. Rarely cry. Just want to drug myself up and escape reality all together. I do sometime.
Seem like you going through an agonizing period. Hopefully a successful surgery can be done soon.
04-17-2017, 02:56 PM   #44
Glockola

Being lonely is probably just as dangerous as the disease itself.
We get stuck in our heads all the time. And also being sick with crohns sometimes is pure torture on top of it.
04-21-2017, 11:52 AM   #45
Spooky1
Forum Monitor

My Support Groups:
I also identify with what you are going through. I hate to say this but it's great to know others suffer just like me.
04-21-2017, 05:09 PM   #46
Juulez

My Support Groups:
It's nice to know your not the only one! But goodness with as sick as we all get sometimes how can you not have some psych issues! I spend so much time alone in bed in pain that isolates me leaviving depression and I have awful anxiety and scared to go far from home. Sometimes I think I feel better in the hospital with someone to take care of me..and that eases the anxiety a bit but I hate the hospital makes no sense..
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_2951.JPG (60.1 KB, 12 views)

Crohn's Disease Forum » Support Forum » IBD and Mental Health Support Group