• Welcome to Crohn's Forum, a support group for people with all forms of IBD. While this community is not a substitute for doctor's advice and we cannot treat or diagnose, we find being able to communicate with others who have IBD is invaluable as we navigate our struggles and celebrate our successes. We invite you to join us.

Fistulotomy and blood in stools - Normal?!

Hello,

I recently had a Fistulotomy 7 weeks ago, which was after a failed LIFT procedure last year. According to my CRS a couple weeks ago, things appear to be healing well.

However, I am noticing some blood in my stools. It's not major, but there's definitely signs and it's pretty consistent.

My question...though the wound is still draining some pus, I am not seeing blood on the outside of the wound. Is it possible that the fistula may still be leaking blood internally and passed thorough when I have a bowel movement? If so, will this eventually stop if/when the fistula completely heals? FWIW, the blood appears to be lighter in color.

I don't see the CRS for a few more weeks, but when I mentioned this last time, he didn't seemed concerned and said we can do a Colonoscopy if it continues. I'm still not sure what to believe. As a side note, I am being tested for Crohn's by my GI doctor (I also have acid reflux), but so far the tests haven't been conclusive.

Thanks in advance for any feedback.

Hello, really tough question. If your CRS doesn't think it is too concerning they would have to know - you would think. However if you are not comfortable and still have questions, call them back and ask why is this happening and is it really normal.
It is so hard to know when to call but if it is something that really feels concerning you should ask. The worry is not worthy of the additional stress when you are healing.
I have to think, CRS can tell how things are healing and they are very clear when things are not going well.

Hang in there. Hope you feel better soon.