• Welcome to Crohn's Forum, a support group for people with all forms of IBD. While this community is not a substitute for doctor's advice and we cannot treat or diagnose, we find being able to communicate with others who have IBD is invaluable as we navigate our struggles and celebrate our successes. We invite you to join us.

Back pain and crohns, would like some advice ?

Can any one please help, I have had bad back pain for about two weeks, I have recently had a localised illeus, but last X-Ray was all clear. I was diagnosed with Crohn's disease just over two years. My back pain is more painfull after I have eaten, and if I have not had a bm movement for a few days. I also get a lot of right side pain before I have a bm movement. It is not my gall bladder as I have hacked that out 7 years ago. Could anyone please help with advie? Thank you

valleysangel92

Staff member
Hello there

Could you describe your pain a little more? Does it feel like its coming from your back or from the bowel? A clear Xray is a good sign, but it doesn't mean there isn't any inflammation there, Xray's cant pick up the same detail as an MRI scan would. When was the last time you had all your bloods checked or saw your consultant?

It's like a dull ache, then sometimes really sharp . It is coming from my back. Bloods checked about six weeks ago, which I no this sounds strange but my bloods always comes back ok even tho I have a flare up etc, my crohns nurse says this does happen , I'm just one of a minority. I last saw my consultant February this year.

valleysangel92

Staff member
If you feel like its coming from your back then it could be some form of arthitis, there are several different forms and many of them are more common in people with crohns. I'm the same, my bloods come back fine even mid flare, so they aren't always great indicators, but what I was thinking is that there are several vitamin and mineral deficiencies that can cause joint and bone pain. A really common one is vitamin D, being low on this can make every joint ache.

Maybe its worth giving your IBD nurse a call and asking if you could see someone soon.

I'm on vitamin d tablets at the min, but soon I'll have to have injections, as this seems to be always low. Thank you for your advice.

I also have back and joint pain and slow bowel movement that hurts(constipation) . Also on vit D, due to very low vit D lvls. What you explain sounds normal to me, but if it isnt for you, then you should investigate further :)

This happened exactly too me. I was diagnosed with crohns and still was having horrible lower back pain. A CT scan with contrast showed that I had pockets in my ileum which was seeping fluid into my back and then into the bone to cause an infection. This was called an abscess. The pain was coming from the fluid in my back so maybe bring this up with your GI as this is what the issue was with me. In the end, I got my ileum cut out (which is where the pockets were) and the pain was gone!!!!!

Thank you all, crohnsgirl19, what other symptoms was you having at the time? I'm at my wits end now, it's really pulling me down.

My son was on laxatives for years because his crohn's caused constipation. Have you tried a laxative? It may help ease the back pain.

I was getting fevers, I want able to sleep at all the pain was keeping me awake, diarrhoea, abdominal pain. But this was all before I got diagnosed with crohns or on any. Medication. Although after being diagnosed with crohns the only symptoms I got was the back pain and fevers

Johnnysmum, I'm on lactulose and ducosate for constipation, I do suffer with constipation, but I have never had backache like this before. March this year I had a localised illeus

Thank you Crohn'sgirl19, thank you for the advice, I think I will ring my nurse in the morning to try and get things sorted

Hi all I suffer from back pain and constaption an sore side on right I recently git treated for an abseses in my small bowl cose they done a ct scan and it showed the inflammation and abseses and they said it was Crohn's pretty much I'm jut sure what helps I'm eating healthy now I'm in predisone 30 Mgs and tapering I do know a hot water bottle helps that the only thing I can think of

Thank you all. I have spoken to my crohns nurse and I'm having some blood tests done and also she is emailing my professor for a appointment and to see what he wants to do, the crohns nurse is thinking possibly a localised illeus ? , will keep updating when I have more answers. Thank you all .