• Welcome to Crohn's Forum, a support group for people with all forms of IBD. While this community is not a substitute for doctor's advice and we cannot treat or diagnose, we find being able to communicate with others who have IBD is invaluable as we navigate our struggles and celebrate our successes. We invite you to join us.

How long can I leave it between infusions.

I have had at least 10 remicade infusions so far. However I have just got a once in a life time job in france to become a chef for a summer ski season. I currently live in the UK and have my infusions every 8 weeeks. The job is seasonal so I presume it will be until the end of september...

Im due a transfusion on the 15th of august. However Im supposed to go on the 30th of July?

Anyone got any advice or anything at all? I really want to take the job, but how am I going to juggle my infusion. Is there anything I can take that I can self administer that will prolong my resistance between the 1/2 months away.

Get back to me as soon as possible, I have untill monday to accept the job.

Thankyou!
Liam

nogutsnoglory

See if they can give you the infusion earlier it's only 2 weeks and some get infusions every 6 weeks. Honestly it wouldn't be great to delay it by a month but it can be done without reaction. Definitely consult with your doctor, maybe they can even arrange for it in France.

I'd put in a call to your doctor if there's any way for you to do it. As far as I know there is nothing you can take between infusions to keep you from flaring unless you are already on either 6-MP/AZA/Imuran or Methotrexate. If you're not already on those then they won't do you any good to start them now.

Two things are a problem with the plan to go to France.

1. Possible severe reaction to the remicade due to the extended delay in getting infusion. This would make you unable to take remicade in the future. I believe the recommendation is for no more than 16 weeks between infusions but your doctor really is the one to say for sure.

2. You may flare without that infusion and then where will you be?

any chance you could travel back for a day to get the infusion or arrange to get it in France?

I have had at least 10 remicade infusions so far. However I have just got a once in a life time job in france to become a chef for a summer ski season. I currently live in the UK and have my infusions every 8 weeeks. The job is seasonal so I presume it will be until the end of september...

Im due a transfusion on the 15th of august. However Im supposed to go on the 30th of July?

Anyone got any advice or anything at all? I really want to take the job, but how am I going to juggle my infusion. Is there anything I can take that I can self administer that will prolong my resistance between the 1/2 months away.

Get back to me as soon as possible, I have untill monday to accept the job.

Thankyou!
Liam
Hey Liam,

Congrats on the job!! How exciting!! Your doctor or his staff can make arrangements so that you can have your transfusion where ever you are staying. Nothing to worry about, call your doctor asap, so that they can make the arrangements for you. Let us know how it works out for you. Have a blast!

Hey all thanks for the brilliant advice. I spoke with my doctor, he said that I would be unable to get an appointment in france in the space of those 2 months. However he has forwarded my next infusion to the 29th. That way I will need my next infusion late september time!

Thanks again!
Liam