Share Facebook
Crohn's Disease Forum » Parents of Kids with IBD » Interesting article about Crohn's and UC

07-19-2014, 10:21 PM   #1
kimmidwife
Forum Monitor

My Support Groups:
Interesting article about Crohn's and UC

http://digitalnaturopath.com/cond/C132201.html

Crohn's Dx'ed Sept 08
Allerg Imuran Sept 08
Fail Remicade Jan 09
Methotrex Oct 09-Aug 11
Pentasa stopped - nosebleeds
EENOct 31 - Nov 28th. Too hard!
Retried Remicade Dec 11
Stopped due 2 Anaphylactic Reaction
LDN Jan 2012-June 2014 Got My daughter back!
New secondary diagnosis: Gastroporesis Dec 2013
Lost remission June 2014
Started Entyvio April 2015. Decreased to every 4 weeks October 2015. Praying for remission.
07-26-2014, 05:23 AM   #2
DustyKat
Super Moderator

What greatly disappoints me in this article is that they perpetuate the myth that if you donít have diarrhoea and/or blood as a presenting symptom then it isnít IBD.

Counter-indicators: (Strongly counter-indicative)
Having hard stools or having normal stool texture
(Very/tendency to) infrequent stools

Dusty.
07-26-2014, 11:50 PM   #3
kimmidwife
Forum Monitor

My Support Groups:
You know Dusty you are right! I am going to see if I can find a place to write them and get them to change that!
I just thought it was a good breakdown for those newer to Crohn's especially.
07-27-2014, 02:30 AM   #4
lenny

My Support Groups:
3 times higher in people who received the measles vaccine as children?!
07-27-2014, 04:05 AM   #5
DustyKat
Super Moderator

I hope my comment didnít come off as a criticism of you posting the article Kim because I certainly didnít mean it that way.

I hope you are able to get in contact with them hun and they listen to you! Good luck!

Dusty. xxx
07-27-2014, 12:41 PM   #6
Momtotwo

Thanks. I always enjoy seeing links to stuff I missed.

I have my file of "medical articles to prove my child does not have Crohn's" from my denial days following his diagnosis. One of them is from a children's hospital and it an article written for primary care providers/pediatricians who are evaluating kids for IBD. To paraphrase (from memory..might have some facts wrong), it pretty much said, IBD is very unlikely if the child doesn't wake at night for bowel movements, hasn't had significant weight loss and doesn't have diarrhea. Of course, even when flaring, my child never woke for bowel movements (even after miralax prep!), had slowed weight gain but not loss and only had loose stools with antibiotics. Yet, he has Crohn's in multiple locations.

Maybe we should all write to authors kimmidwife is going to do. How many parents suspect a problem but don't' insist on a GI referral after reading info online that reassures them their child is just fine? How many of us have children who didn't have diarrhea? Didn't have significant weight loss? Didn't have mouth ulcers? Didn't wake to use the bathroom at night? From my own scanning of kids' histories here and elsewhere, the "atypical" presentations are more "typical" for kids. Even my peditrician was shocked my son had Crohn's because he didn't lose 10 per cent of his weight, didn't have bloody diarrhea and didn't have sever pain...so even those who should know kids don't have to present that way don't know...
07-27-2014, 01:25 PM   #7
my little penguin
Forum Monitor

My Support Groups:
^^^ yeah that .
Unfortunately - stomach issues /constipation are such a common occurrence in a regular ped office - they can't send them all to a GI .
Our ped told us DS was fine just going to be a skinny kid and none of his stuff was a "real " concern.
He had rectal prolapse that was chronic
Severe abdominal pain/constipation
No weight gain (+2 years ).
Plus lots of other stuff.

Thankfully we didn't need a referral to be able to visit a GI.
Even the Gi didn't suspect crohn's at first but knew something was definitely wrong.
It took eight month to finally get a scope scheduled ( only due to rectal bleeding ) and dx crohn's .
Even then Gi was perplexed by DS presentation .
Almost three years later our Gi now councils all his fellows on crohn's that starts as constipation and uses DS as an example .

Maybe if more gi did that the perception would change .
07-27-2014, 01:28 PM   #8
Momtotwo

mlp- how obvious was the rectal prolapse?Is that something a child can have and have it go unnoticed by a parent? (I see many references to rectal prolapse on this forum.)

Same here- we didn't need a referral and we self referred. The ped wasn't opposed as sshe is very reasonable, thorough dr but didn't think it was necessary. You're right- they can't refer/scope every kid with "minor" symptoms, but I wonder if fecal calprotectin tests would pick up more kids with ibd?
07-27-2014, 01:30 PM   #9
Momtotwo

...and we had the "skinny kid" diagnosis, too.
07-27-2014, 01:41 PM   #10
my little penguin
Forum Monitor

My Support Groups:
We don't know how long DS had rectal prolapse prior to telling us that is hurt . But I assume not long .
It's not something you can "miss" if you see it.
Most retract on their own but when they don't there is a lot of blood and pain.
http://emedicine.medscape.com/article/931455-overview
07-27-2014, 02:45 PM   #11
Momtotwo

Did you notice Crohn's is not listed in that article (unless I missed it)? UC but not Crohn's?
07-27-2014, 02:49 PM   #12
my little penguin
Forum Monitor

My Support Groups:
Nope you didn't miss it .
Going into the scope gi was thinking colitis due to similar articles like above .
But DS has a few non caseating epitheloid granulomas in Ti and caecum so no denying crohn's
07-27-2014, 02:53 PM   #13
indianhart

My Support Groups:
I agree with that Dusty, I have never had blood other than from hemorrhoids and I've had Crohns for 20 years!!

What greatly disappoints me in this article is that they perpetuate the myth that if you donít have diarrhoea and/or blood as a presenting symptom then it isnít IBD.

Counter-indicators: (Strongly counter-indicative)
Having hard stools or having normal stool texture
(Very/tendency to) infrequent stools

Dusty.
07-27-2014, 02:57 PM   #14
Momtotwo

mlp- did the prolapse self correct? I hope it's not an issue for your child now.
07-27-2014, 03:01 PM   #15
indianhart

My Support Groups:
Interesting article and I have those symptoms often so I will try to drink more water! Is seltzer water considered good for hydration? Anyone have thoughts...
07-27-2014, 03:04 PM   #16
Momtotwo

Parents advised me to avoid bubbly drinks for my son who has Crohn's. He doesn't drink bubbly stuff anyway. Everyone is different, though, seems to be the rule!
07-27-2014, 03:16 PM   #17
my little penguin
Forum Monitor

My Support Groups:
The only way to "fix" rectal prolapse after the age of 4 is surgery.
So every time his rectum/ sigmoid colon becomes inflamed from a crohn's flare - prolapse comes back.
We have had mixed opinions on surgery so for now we are holding off.
07-27-2014, 09:28 PM   #18
kimmidwife
Forum Monitor

My Support Groups:
Indianhart,
If you are not a water drinker and if the bubbles don't bother you, my doctor told me seltzer is fine.
07-27-2014, 09:29 PM   #19
kimmidwife
Forum Monitor

My Support Groups:
Momtotwo,
Are you referring to the link I posted? It is all about Crohn's as far as I see.

Last edited by kimmidwife; 07-27-2014 at 09:30 PM. Reason: Wanted to add something
07-27-2014, 10:17 PM   #20
Momtotwo

Sorry, kimmidwife- no, I was referring to the rectal prolapse article posted by mlp. Thanks!
07-28-2014, 09:05 AM   #21
kimmidwife
Forum Monitor

My Support Groups:
Okay, no problem. I was confused for a minute.
07-28-2014, 09:52 AM   #22
mish2575

My Support Groups:
Interesting article and I have those symptoms often so I will try to drink more water! Is seltzer water considered good for hydration? Anyone have thoughts...
Yes but carbonation is not good for your bones and joints
07-28-2014, 07:31 PM   #23
kimmidwife
Forum Monitor

My Support Groups:
Actually Mish that is related to cola's not plain carbonated drinks. There is an ingredient in cola that weakens bone density. Here is an article discussing this,
http://www.askdoctork.com/do-carbona...nes-2011093096
07-29-2014, 07:36 AM   #24
mish2575

My Support Groups:
My understanding from one of my Dr's is that Cola is a triple threat: Caffeine, Carbonation and Sugar (or even aspertaime). All these things cause issues with your body.

But, not all doctors are right so . . .
08-01-2014, 02:22 AM   #25
lenny

My Support Groups:
3 times higher in people who received the measles vaccine as children?!
My son's gi says this was debunked.
08-01-2014, 11:58 AM   #26
SupportiveMom
Forum Monitor

My Support Groups:
∑ Stoma
lenny my doc said the same thing.

I thought Aloe Vera was a no no now. This article says you should be taking it. Just one more thing to send out to the masses... confusion!

Ileostomy surgery July 2015

Current Meds: None!
Previous Meds: Humira, Remicade, Methotrexate, Cipro, Flagyl, Zofran, Cortifoam, 5-ASA suppository, Questran, Mezavant, EEN (Peptamen Jr. 1.5) by NG tube, Antibiotic Cocktail (Vancomycin, Metronidazole & Doxycycline), Simponi, Prevacid, Imuran, prednisone
ibdsupportivmom.wordpress.com ☆

Crohn's Disease Forum » Parents of Kids with IBD » Interesting article about Crohn's and UC