• Welcome to Crohn's Forum, a support group for people with all forms of IBD. While this community is not a substitute for doctor's advice and we cannot treat or diagnose, we find being able to communicate with others who have IBD is invaluable as we navigate our struggles and celebrate our successes. We invite you to join us.

5 year Remicade study results may answer some ?s

First published study that I am aware of that followed kids on remicade for 5 years. Found linear growth catch up to normal by year 3 in Tanner stage 1/2 patients who started remicade within 18 months of diagnosis. Found sustained response improved by simultaneous use of immunomodulator for >= 30 months. Study authors from Toronto, Canada. I also posted this in the Research thread.

Infliximab Maintains Durable Response and Facilitates Catch-up Growth in Luminal Pediatric Crohn's Disease.

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/24865777

CONCLUSIONS:

These data demonstrate sustained effectiveness of infliximab in children and adolescents with luminal CD. Durability of response is increased by concomitant immunomodulation. Clinical response is associated with enhanced linear growth, particularly when therapy is initiated early.

Don't beat yourself up about it. We are all making the choices that seem right to us at the time with the information available to us at that moment. If you had known this information then you might have made a different choice - but maybe not.

You are a terrific mom.

I'm glad to hear of this study!

Mehita, I agree don't beat yourself up about it. He's there now and things are going well, you are an awesome Mom!

I so wish remicade had been C' miracle drug, studies like these make me long for it to be so!

Momtotwo, there is a SBFT scheduled for Monday. The GI has said that he feels surgery is the best option at this point but wanted to check something with this test. So we are still in the waiting period of " what next", I suppose.

...and we all hate waiting. I am so sorry the Remicade wasn't the miracle drug. It seemed like he was doing so well on it. This disease really is sneaky and doesn't follow the rules at all. But C did respond well to Remicade at one point, didn't he?

He responded immediately after the first dose, symptom wise. Symptoms returned after loading doses, he couldn't make it 8 weeks, so we shortened schedule, upped dose, added mtx and finally moved to high dose remicade. He had no symptoms for the most part except lack of growth. He had two symptomatic flares during his 2 year use of remicade. But, tests have shown that he has had progression of the disease so after checking for antibodies, and levels we finally dropped remicade.