• Welcome to Crohn's Forum, a support group for people with all forms of IBD. While this community is not a substitute for doctor's advice and we cannot treat or diagnose, we find being able to communicate with others who have IBD is invaluable as we navigate our struggles and celebrate our successes. We invite you to join us.

My Story :)

Hi I'm Kylie and well this is my story :)
I was first diagnosed with Crohns Disease in 2009, I was 13 at that time, It was very rough for me, as I assume it was for everyone else. Before I was diagnosed I became very ill and very scared, I had no idea what was happening to me I went from 65kg to 41kg (that being my lowest weight), I was vomiting constantly, diarrhoea, intense fatigue and all that good stuff. I cannot remember when I was first admitted into hospital I think it was somewhere between July/August 2009, I was in hospital for 3 not so fun weeks, I had many tests done on me, ultrasounds, MRI, Many Many blood tests and stool samples, after they made sure it was Crohns they first tried putting me on Imuran but that didn't work out for me as it made me ill, after that I was put on salazopyrin, which I tolerated fine with, I was also put on infliximab as well. The infusions were scheduled so I would have it done whenever I needed it (so no set time) I went for 9 months without needing infliximab and then I had a big flare up so I was scheduled to have infliximab every 8 months and that went fine for a while till i kept getting sick, so now i have infliximab every 2 months and i am going well with that.

With the Crohns disease appearing i went from a very outgoing person to a very closed in person i wouldn't talk to anyone at school besides my best friend, i hated going out for fear i might eat something that could make me ill, though i can eat any food as in none is a trigger for a flare i can sometimes get a bit sick from some foods, so i stayed at home most weekends which i hated myself for and pretty much had no life. In the same year i was also diagnosed with social anxiety which sucked, i also stopped growing which doubly sucked so i'm stuck at 154cm forever thanks to Crohns. Anyway I've been going very well i am currently still on salazopyrin and infliximab, ive also been put on folic acid and methotrexate and am coping really well with those.

I am 18 years old now and am planning to get my first job and hopefully get my life back, i also hope to meet new people and conquer my social anxiety so i can live life to the fullest! Overall i have been in and out of hospital about maybe 20+ times these past few years but am currently healthy, well and happy :smile:

Thanks for taking the time to read my story i really appreciate it :hug:

Hi Kylie! So glad to hear your current med schedule's keeping flares at bay!

Do you get labs done periodically to check up on inflammation levels? I have a CBC done every 6mths, but beyond that my GI's pretty lax about evaluating remission. So I've had to ask that this go-round they check my sed-rate and C-reactive protein, too - here's a good article from the forum wiki on remission: http://www.crohnsforum.com/wiki/remission

(Edit: ha! Magic forum magically linked remission article for me via the word, "remission"!)

Wishing you well in your first job!

I get labs done every couple of months, usually when I get my infusion done I get my blood taken then or a couple of weeks after :)

DJW

Forum Monitor
Hi Kyza95.

Welcome to the forum. I wish you health and success going forward.