• Welcome to Crohn's Forum, a support group for people with all forms of IBD. While this community is not a substitute for doctor's advice and we cannot treat or diagnose, we find being able to communicate with others who have IBD is invaluable as we navigate our struggles and celebrate our successes. We invite you to join us.

Is WBC supposed to increase if treatment is working?

The GI's office just faxed me the latest blood test results for my son. The sed rate has come down from 69 to 26mm/hr and the c-reactive protein is now within normal limits. His hemoglobin is still low at 10.0 g/dL but is higher than the 9.4 reported a few weeks ago. The nurse reports that the doctor is pleased with the results and that we should begin tapering the budesonide from 9mg to 6 mg daily. I'm fine with that. I'm just wondering why his white blood cell count has gone from 11.4 Thous/ncL to 14.9 Thous/ncL. The ref. range is 4.5 - 13.5. The 2 previous blood tests showed his WBC to be within normal limits. Is the WBC supposed to increase while on budesonide? Does this have anything to do with the 6MP? He's not scheduled for another blood test until the end of August.

Maya142

Staff member
Yup, my daughter is on steroids too and hers is high. Her doctor was not at all worried, said it would go back to normal once she got off them.