• Welcome to Crohn's Forum, a support group for people with all forms of IBD. While this community is not a substitute for doctor's advice and we cannot treat or diagnose, we find being able to communicate with others who have IBD is invaluable as we navigate our struggles and celebrate our successes. We invite you to join us.

My FNG story

You must be in the 50+ club to get that reference. Hint: it's from Vietnam. I'm 58 y/male.

I was dx a bout 2 months ago. The lead up was 08/09 I got severely constipated. Some vomiting. Doc says you exercise? Yep. Cycle a fair bit. 100 miles/week or so. Eventually got better.

2012 started with some pretty severe dehydration constipation and vomiting again. No real help from the GP. Started going in monthly for fluid fill ups. Finaly in June really started vomiting. While I was driving. So that was weird. Pull over, vomit. Drive on. Went to the ER. Got fluids and the doc decides to do a CT scan. My gut lit up on the CT. So I got a week in the hospital getting an IV of antibiotics. Doc was great. But they still did not know why this was happening. Said it looked a lot like cancer. I had a spot on my liver and some inflammation on my pancreas. They did a needle biopsy of the liver. It came back clean.

Docs finally decided it was the gall bladder. they scheduled that removal in a few months to let my body rest a bit. that was done the hard way (slice) GB was fully non functioning. So that was another week on the ward. Somewhere in here I had a colonscopy. I had had one done a few years before just after 50. I actually had 2 done back to back. (Yea me...2x's the prep) The first they quit as my legs would not relax and they were afraid of a puncture. Colonoscopy show some scarring at the ileum. Possible Crohn's was the talk

Recovery was slow. Quite a bit of diarrhea. Some urgency. Crapped my pants more than once. Which is fairly humiliating. after about a year of this got onto cholestramine to harden up my stool. Which helped. But every once in a while I would have to use Lactulose to soften this up a bit and get things moving.

Finally about 2 months ago I was fully stopped up. Not eating and losing weight. Was down about 10 lbs when I got in to see my (new) GP. She referred to a GI. GI ordered a CT Scan. Which she dx as Crohn's.

She put me on a prednisone ladder to get the inflammation under control. Which has helped. Finally ready to get off the pred. We talked about getting on Remicade. I am still coming to grips with my diagnosis. And did not want to go quite that far. So we settled in Mesalamine. we'll see in a month or two how it works.

Looking back it all seems Crohn's symptoms. But that might be revisionist history. To the man with a hammer everything looks like nail. I have been a little anxious the last few days. Is that the Pred talking? Usual symptoms irratibility, sun sensitive, tired all the time, waking at night. I got 10 hrs sleep last week and it felt like heavan.

I've been a lurker soaking up your experiences. I thank all of you for sharing

David

Co-Founder
Hi there and welcome to the community. I'm sorry to hear of your struggles :(

It could be the prednisone. What is your current dose?

All my best to you.

David

Only at 10 mgs of Prednisone. My Lialda came in the mail order pharmacy today. Switching over once I get dosage instructions. The bottle just said take 4/day. Is that 4 at once? 4 over the course of the day? We'll see

That anxiety was unnerving. On one hand i "knew" it was nothing. But I was still anxious. Lasted about 2 days

David

Co-Founder
I can imagine it was quite unnerving. I'm sorry you experienced that.

I hope the lialda works wonders for you. If it doesn't, while I understand your concern about Remicade, it really is important that the inflammation be brought under control ASAP. Chronic inflammation can be really bad news.