• Welcome to Crohn's Forum, a support group for people with all forms of IBD. While this community is not a substitute for doctor's advice and we cannot treat or diagnose, we find being able to communicate with others who have IBD is invaluable as we navigate our struggles and celebrate our successes. We invite you to join us.

Food antigen-induced immune responses in Crohn's disease patients

What does this mean?

Is it as simple as:

When disease is active the intestines become permeable and food particles pass deep into the tissue where the immune system recognises them as foreign and marks them as antigen?

Could a MAP, AIEC or similar infection fail to be cleared properly and then cause this cascade to start?

I don't know.
But it seems that when the disease is active the small intestine is more leaky,which allows
more food antigens to present to the immune system. That being said elemental diets
can put crohn's into remission. So working backwards if these food antigens were not there in the first place,would you get crohns or have symptoms. As you can also see some normals also have a reaction to certain foods. I also suspect you can get leaky gut
from other things in the diet such as emulsifiers,perhaps in every case you don't need to
be infected. We also know that in early onset crohns that there is dysbiosis.
Perhaps the antigen leaks,cause a immune reaction which causes dysbiosis.
All wild guesses.
Old Mike

kiny

Doing serum IgG tests to determine common alergies are highly unreliable, let alone doing it for crohn's disease.

http://onlinelibrary.wiley.com/doi/10.1111/j.1398-9995.2008.01705.x/abstract;jsessionid=C7D169019CF623EFEF170771106A549B.f01t01?systemMessage=Wiley+Online+Library+will+be+disrupted+9th+Aug+from+10-2+BST+for+essential+maintenance.+Pay+Per+View+will+be+unavailable+from+10-6+BST.

The WHO has forbidden some IgG tests as a dignostic tool for certain diseases. The problems with an antigen response are many, sometimes it is cross reactivity, your body reacts to a protein that is similar even though the test says it's reacting to something else, sometimes the antigen isn't even present but the response is still there, sometimes the reaction is normal since it's just a reaction to the introduction of certain foods. Just because you can find an antigen response to an antigen, doesn't therefor mean that the immune system has mounted a response, or that the adaptive immune response was stimulated by an APC like the study suggests.

The study mentions the ASCA tests and implies that a positive ASCA is the result of an immune response to common baker's yeast. ASCA, which tests for yeast antibodies. There is not one disease that tests positive for ASCA, there are tens of diseases that test positive for ASCA, it's not a reliable test, maybe it's cross reactivity, maybe it's meaningless, removing yeast from diets doesn't help crohn's disease.

Ig tests are popular because they're cheap, and it's easy to get a research grant for them, since there are thousands of companies telling people that disease A B or C is simply a food allergy, and all you have to do is pay them some money, they will check which food you're allergic to, cut the food out of your diet..and voila, magically you'll feel better. And tests don't lie. What they don't tell you is that many of the tests are unreliable.

Lady Organic

Staff member
very interesting, I had just came across that research a few days ago and was about to post it here, but before i checked the forum to make sure it was not posted before!

the comparison between the CD , UC and healthy control is very interesting.

Ig tests are popular because they're cheap, and it's easy to get a research grant for them, since there are thousands of companies telling people that disease A B or C is simply a food allergy, and all you have to do is pay them some money, they will check which food you're allergic to, cut the food out of your diet..and voila, magically you'll feel better. And tests don't lie. What they don't tell you is that many of the tests are unreliable.
I paid for one of these tests when I first started getting ill, cut out all the foods I was supposed to cut out completely, followed the advice given to me by the nutritionist, and only got sicker.