• Welcome to Crohn's Forum, a support group for people with all forms of IBD. While this community is not a substitute for doctor's advice and we cannot treat or diagnose, we find being able to communicate with others who have IBD is invaluable as we navigate our struggles and celebrate our successes. We invite you to join us.

How many of you have stopped and restarted remicade

Hey guys, so I stopped remicade back in February, but have some active inflammation back so I'm wanting to go back on it, just wondering if there's been many people on here who have stopped and started again with success, iv heard about antibodies developing which kinda concerns me

Had it for about one year back in 2006-07, restarted early this year. First infusion was fine, second time I had anaphylaxis. Switched to Humira instead. Antibodies were not tested but my doctor said its better to change, I have also asthma.

nogutsnoglory

They can test you for antibodies first. I never stopped and restarted but I'm curious if anyone stopped because it lost effect and restarted and it was beneficial again.

nogutsnoglory

There is more than one test so it would depend on what your doctor ordered and the lab it goes to. Maybe others can speak to a timetable and whether prometheus test is better or not.

Maya142

Staff member
My daughter has been on Remicade three separate times. We didn't do anything special each time she restarted it, just Benadryl and Tylenol (which she's always received). Antibody tests showed that she is negative for antibodies (she has been on an immunomodulator + Remicade 2 of the three times).

I was really nervous about her going back to Remicade the third time, but she's been on it for 3 months now and no reaction.
Good luck!

I have started and stopped Remicade. If you are concerned about antibodies, perhaps your doctor could put you on a low dose of Methotrexate-I've used it with Remicade for three years and so far, no antibodies have built up. *knocks on wood*

Oh good, well Imuran should do the trick. And even if you do develop antibodies, the doctors have a multitude of ways of dealing with it. They can increase the Imuran, switch you to Metho, stop the Remi for a very short period of time and then restart slowly, so please try not to be too anxious about it. Sending best wishes for your health!