Share Facebook
Crohn's Disease Forum » General IBD Discussion » Overweight with Crohn's Support Group

09-02-2014, 09:04 PM   #31
Maxwelljax

My Support Groups:
I'm in. I've gained 40 lbs since starting Entocort and the Remi. On a low residue diet now and not sure how to lose it but I'm determined. Waiting to hear from GI office with a name for dietician consult.
09-02-2014, 09:22 PM   #32
Nancye50

My Support Groups:
What a great idea! I'm visiting friends in a few weeks and always feel better about myself if I've made something of an effort before seeing people I haven't in a while.
I'm using Bosley stuff on my hair where it got very thin when I was sick. I used the elliptical today which I love but am feeling kind of chills/achy tonight so maybe that was too much.
I've done really well with the beach body PiYo workouts. Great workouts, easily modified and no jumping.
09-03-2014, 07:39 PM   #33
lizbeth
Forum Monitor

My Support Groups:
I'd like to try and start some exercise again, plan to begin with 10 minute Pilates stretching, break myself back in gently. I also hope to go back to an art club to get me out of the house cos I never do except to the shop, fingers crossed I make it.
09-07-2014, 02:40 AM   #34
Saralr

My Support Groups:
Well I am starting out horribly, and I'm the one who suggested setting a goal. Lol. I can't remember the last time my daughter slept through the night and she is almost 10. She was on some anxiety meds and hasn't slept well since stopping them. I've been napping instead of taking a few extra minutes to dry my hair and pick out decent clothes ahead of time.

Sunday night I'm setting out clothes for Monday and I'm going to work with dry hair. Or dryish hair. Baby steps.
11-01-2014, 11:39 PM   #35
Ann Morgan
I've seen a lot of posts about juicing. I've tried but can't seem to stay with it. Trying to stay on a low residue diet now due to partial obstruction. May try again cuz I seem to only be eating carbs now. Not sure what to juice though.
Have you looked into buying a "NutriBullet" blender.I have one and I really like it. I gave up coffee and candy back in May and I started making a breakfast smoothie each morning. I saw a Nutritionist back in May and she gave me some smoothie recipe suggestions. I don't have any colon issues with the smoothie ingredients that I use. I use 1/2 or 1 ripe banana, one large red apple without the core/skin, 1/2 cup real carrot juice, 1/2 cup plain Greek yogurt, 1 cup 2% milk ( or some kind of soy milk ), 1 teaspoon real Vanilla Extract and 2 tablespoons of honey. It makes about 24 ounces. It does not bother my colon at all and I am getting some fruits, vegetables, dairy, and protein. Before I started with my breakfast smoothies I would drink coffee in the morning and then not eat all day until dinner time.

I have had problems with obesity for the past 35 years. I had some major changes in my Ulcerative Colitis symptoms this May 2014. I went from having diarrhea all of the time to being very constipated. In two months I had lost 20 pounds. Then within the next few months I lost ten more pounds. I went from 200 to 170. I am now maintaining at 170 ( but my Endocrinologist would like me to lose 20 more pounds ). The weird thing is this.....I don't feel any better after losing the weight. I am wearing the same clothes, but they are baggy now. I still have the hip, neck and shoulder arthritis pain. I still have fatigue and I don't sleep well. I just started to take Levothyroxine for my thyroid recently too. I keep telling all of my doctors that I was not trying to lose that weight and it must have happened because of the changes in my symptoms or maybe it was psychological. They don't care how I lost the weight, they are just happy that I lost it. Well, if a person is not trying to lose weight and they lose 20 pounds in 7 weeks then something must be wrong !

Sometimes I feel like we have to be our own doctor.

Thanks for listening.
11-02-2014, 09:47 AM   #36
Maxwelljax

My Support Groups:
So true Ann sometimes the docs are just interested in the number. Recently I saw a dietician and she helped a lot. I am drinking a plant protein shake twice a day. The brand is Vega. It's full of vitamins and each serving has 50% of recommended iron. I have added fruits that I can tolerate. I am also blending my own yogurt with Fage greek yogurt and fruit or honey and cinnimon. She also suggested I try grass fed beef which I did a couple of times with no problem. Haven't lost anything yet but I feel better! I think the weight loss will come as I eat less carbs and more protein.
11-02-2014, 06:05 PM   #37
Ann Morgan
My physical therapist recommended the Paleo diet to me. I think that they recommend grass fed beef.
11-06-2014, 06:14 PM   #38
CrohnsChicago
Super Moderator

My Support Groups:
Hi there! Started out my crohn's slightly overweight. Lost a good amount being sick. And yo-yoed on my weight between medication shifts.

I'm now in remission and back at close to the largest weight I have ever been. I'm actively trying to lose weight and get to a healthy size to better manage my condition and make sure I stay in remission.

I really do enjoy clean eating, though I'm guilty of not always sticking to it. And since this summer I have started becoming more physically active and feeling comfortable with the idea of working out. I've started a bootcamp recently and am doing a diet bet to help motivate better eating and safe weight loss.

It's not easy and I've had to learn to push through fatigue at times but it's better to keep trying than to give up on myself and risk the possibility of making myself sick again.
Past Meds:
Prednisone/ Entocort / Flagyl
Current Supplements:
B12 Shot (1cc/mo) / Multivitamin / Vitamin D (1000iu) / Calcium (1200mg) / Omega 3 Fish Oil (4800mg)
Additional Info:
Anemia/Borderline Anemia - whole life
Generalized Anxiety Disorder - 2009 (Cognitive Behavioral Therapy, mindfulness meditation)

11-06-2014, 06:27 PM   #39
Ann Morgan
I just started taking thyroid medication recently. I know that if a persons thyroid is messed up that it can affect their ability to lose weight. A person can get fatigued too if their thyroid is not working properly. Thanks for listening.
12-03-2014, 09:00 PM   #40
Ann Morgan
Ok. It is me again. I have a few minutes to write before "Jeopardy" begins on TV......Ha Ha : - 0.

Saw my Endocrinologist again today for a follow up appointment. I really like her. My blood test looks good, my thyroid ultrasound looks good, and my DEXA scan looks good ( she monitors my osteoporosis as well. ). Wow, I never get GOOD news from a doctor. And even better news......I don't have to go back for a follow up for 6 more months.....
hoorah. She still wants me to lose twenty more pounds, I am still maintaining my weight at around 170 pounds and a year ago I think I was arouND 200 pds.
I told her that I don't FEEL any better after the weight loss. I don't think she cares how I am feeling exactly, she just wants my weight down so I don't get diabetes. I don't eat real healthy because my Ulcerative Colitis does not like just about anything I eat. I don't have much of an appetite most of the time. I do not exercise at all. I can walk from my apartment to the big trash bin in the parking lot!
12-03-2014, 09:11 PM   #41
Nancye50

My Support Groups:
I think that sounds like good news, Ann!
I've been testing the waters of the AIP diet this week and doing okay with the fruits & veggies (so far). It's so hard to lose weight when you can't eat healthy foods. So hard.
01-11-2015, 10:02 PM   #42
funjunky

My Support Groups:
I started a diet with mild exercise. Low carb for me is using one slice of white bread for that toast or peanut butter craving. Also 30 squats when brushing, morning and night. I like to run especially in the cold but had a slight cold/drip so its been three days off. Tomorrow I will try again. Just keep trying giving up is going for ice cream or chocolate instead of a pre cut water Mellon cube. Trust me one is sufficient for me you feel less guilty and chewed on it satisfying the sweet and or cold craving throughout the day. 187 5' 5"
01-11-2015, 10:21 PM   #43
Lam123

I finally got a workout in today and it felt good for stress relief. One day at a time.
Humira weekly
- multi vitamin and vitamin D
- B12 shots monthly
Mother of one beautiful boy and a puppy! 👪🐶Happily married to an amazing and patient man, that I call my best friend❤️I'm just living life one day at a time and trying to figure out this crazy disease! 🍀🌞⭐️
01-13-2015, 03:08 PM   #44
DJBHeat

My Support Groups:
I too was in the same positive like many above have mentioned. When my Crohns hit me hard a couple years ago I lost a ton of weight. As soon as I started getting healthy again, I put all that weight back on and than some! I strongly suggest exercise if you can, in any way shape or form. Start by going for a walk for a few minutes a few days a week. Slowly increase depending on what you can do! Little by little I was able to get back to my good weight and feel great. Now I try to go for a run atleast 4 days a week. What you eat and when you eat play a part as well. Cut carbs if you can, and try not to eat too late. Not too long ago I started having a meal replacement shake with Shakeology and it's been great so far.

In short...exercise! As much or as little as you can, anything helps
01-13-2015, 03:39 PM   #45
Lam123

Anyone have healthy snacks that are low fat and also Crohn's friendly?
01-19-2015, 04:39 PM   #46
CrohnsChicago
Super Moderator

My Support Groups:
I eat celery sticks and PB2 which is a powdered peanut butter 80% less fat and 45 calories. I buy it on Amazon and i think Whole Foods has it too.

I also eat greek yogurt with berries

Blend frozen pineapple with almond milk for a sorbet

Blend frozen berries with greek yogurt and sweetener of choice for frozen yogurt.
01-19-2015, 04:59 PM   #47
Maxwelljax

My Support Groups:
I'm just jealous of someone who can eat celery sticks and pineapple lol! I'm trying my best to find some kind of balance between Crohn's friendly food and healthy food.
01-19-2015, 06:10 PM   #48
Ann Morgan
Max: I cannot eat any raw fruits or vegetables. I went to Subway one day and actually thought I would be "ok" with adding raw vegetables to my sandwich. 20 minutes later, while still in the restaurant, I had to use the restroom there because I ate raw vegetables. I can't even eat cooked vegetables. The only fruit I can eat are bananas. I think the only cooked vegetable I may be able to tolerate are cooked carrots ? I started making smoothies 6 months ago and I include an apple in there and I can eat an apple that is pulverized into a smoothie, but I cannot eat a raw apple on it's own. I add banana, apple, carrot juice, greek yogurt, milk, honey, vanilla and flax seed in my smoothies. I use plain greek yogurt for protein. I rarely ever eat meat. Disaster struck, when on vacation over Christmas-time when I thought I could eat bruschetta at an Italian restaurant ( it's basically bread and raw tomatoes.) Where was my brain ! I had an "accident" the next morning while walking to the restroom in my hotel room. I had to shower. I had to wash my pajamas by hand in my hotel room and then send them out to be laundered. I stayed in my hotel room all day long JUST IN CASE I had another accident ( I didn't). I missed out on going to see the movie "Annie" with my sister, niece, and 2 great nieces. I want so bad to eat food with FLAVOR, but that is usually not possible. So, here I am stuck eating smoothies, cereal and milk, and macaroni and cheese.

PS: I lost a lot of weight in 2006/2007. Gained it back eventually. Then had major changes in my Ulcerative Colitis in May/June 2014, etc, and altogether lost 30 pounds. I had a big change in my appetite and did not want to eat. All the time I have had the UC I have had diarrhea. In May of last year I started to have severe constipation. Well, now my constipation is gone and I am back to having diarrhea. I really have my appetite back and I have already gained at least 5 pounds back. And my Endocrinologist wants me to lose 20 more pounds !
01-19-2015, 07:15 PM   #49
Lam123

I have started really watching my portions of carbs and exercising and am finally starting to lose weight. So I am still eating crohns friendly foods, but smaller portions.
01-19-2015, 08:15 PM   #50
Maxwelljax

My Support Groups:
Ann...I've been there and it sucks! For me now though it's the opposite reaction but I still can't eat the same foods. Any raw veggie or fruit and most meat gives me severe abdominal pain and constipation. Same stuff that use to send me running. I think it's related to adhesions and obstruction risk. I saw a dietician recently and she talked to me about smoothies. I do eat a lot of greek yogurt and she had me start drinking Vega shakes, which is plant based protein but not soy. I make them with almond milk. Full of iron, which I'm always lacking in diet and can't take supplements. She also suggested grass fed organic beef. I have tried it a few times and done ok. The one thing I can eat with no trouble is simple carbs...the last thing I need. So I'm back on it. Gained 9 lbs over the holidays eating crap and it is not what in needed.
01-19-2015, 08:18 PM   #51
Maxwelljax

My Support Groups:
Lam123... That's what I am trying to do also. Really tough to cut the carbs but is the best way.
01-19-2015, 08:37 PM   #52
Lam123

What are some of the foods you eat?
01-19-2015, 08:52 PM   #53
Maxwelljax

My Support Groups:
Liam123 I eat mainly chicken and grilled fish for protein and greek yogurt. Dietician told me to put frozen blended fruit and small amount honey in plain low fat. I don't do well with frozen fruits so I usually get Fage greek with fruit. Although honey and cinnamon in plain is pretty good. I can eat most frozen veggies if cooked til mushy. The only fruits that I can eat are bananas and really ripe cantaloupe. Oh and applesauce I guess. What I really like are things like pasta, mashed potatoes, and Mac n cheese. But not so good when you want to lose weight. The biggest weight lose issue for me I guess is snack foods. I don't have the problems some have with sweets and I can eat most chips and pretzels. So ate lots of that over the holidays. Anyway, if I stick to eating what the dietician suggested, yogurt twice a day, grilled or backed protein (mainly chicken, fish, and sometimes grass fed organic beef, cooked to death veggies, Vega protein powder in almond milk 1-2 times a day, and small amounts of simple carbs I can keep the Crohn's in check and slowly lose. I try and exercise but have trouble with joint pain so sometimes that's difficult.
01-19-2015, 09:32 PM   #54
Lam123

Maxwelljax, I am eating similar aswell. With my meat I try and have 3/4'cup of steamed rice and I juice my veggies. Have you tried juicing?
01-19-2015, 09:35 PM   #55
Maxwelljax

My Support Groups:
I have some. Really need to do more. What do you use?
01-19-2015, 09:43 PM   #56
Lam123

Usually celery, cucumber, carrots, and some sort of fruit to add taste. Just a little fruit. It helps.
01-19-2015, 09:49 PM   #57
Maxwelljax

My Support Groups:
I've tried mainly spinach and carrots with some fruit or organic juice. But the spinach is hard to handle.
01-19-2015, 10:01 PM   #58
Lam123

Yeah, I can't handle spinach either.
01-25-2015, 11:09 PM   #59
Nancye50

My Support Groups:
I mentioned in the diet section the desire for pretty Crohn's friendly food. Is anyone else on IG? Should we start a hashtag of our very own?
01-25-2015, 11:32 PM   #60
Maxwelljax

My Support Groups:
Hi Nancy. Not sure what IG is but I can tell you some of the food I seem to tolerate, although from what I have seen here it can vary person to person. I eat mainly grilled chicken. Dietician suggested grass fed organic beef as I do not tolerate beef at all, causes quite a bit of pain. Have tried grass fed organic a couple of times and did ok. Also have had luck with chicken and beef in the crock pot. I can eat veggies cooked to death, nothing raw. Only fruits I eat are banana, cantolope, and applesauce. Also greek yogurt is probably my main protein source along with eggs. I can eat pasta, white bread, and junk all day long but trying to avoid. Interested in what IG is.

Crohn's Disease Forum » General IBD Discussion » Overweight with Crohn's Support Group