Share Facebook
Crohn's Disease Forum » General IBD Discussion » Overweight with Crohn's Support Group

01-25-2015, 11:54 PM   #61
Nancye50

My Support Groups:
I'm sorry! IG is Instagram
I've been reading so much on diet and Paleo and autoimmunity but am so discouraged when I see all the salad and stuff...and crossfitters
I know IBD is so individual but there are a few common threads, right?
01-26-2015, 12:00 AM   #62
Maxwelljax

My Support Groups:
Lol...I thought there was some IG diet I hadn't heard of. I have read about paleo too and I'm afraid of it. Raw fruit and veggies use to give me terrible diarrhea but now more like severe pain and I can't go at all. Apparently that's because of adhesions from previous surg. Had a partial obstruction over the summer and had been trying to eat more veggies, salad, etc. Thought the fiber was good idea, not so much! I think what seems to be common to all of us is the easier to digest the better.
01-26-2015, 12:04 AM   #63
Ann Morgan
It seems like there are a lot of similarities here. I can eat bananas, greek yogurt, rice, lean meat, my smoothies, no raw veggies, actually NO veggies, applesauce, breads, pastas. Ok, I can eat all the brownies I want, but if I eat raw veggies or greasy foods I might as well just lock myself in the bathroom ! I have UC/diarrhea. Oh, and Frosted Flakes treat me just fine. : - )
01-26-2015, 12:06 AM   #64
Nancye50

My Support Groups:
Yep, you're right.
I've had such a sucky time committing to losing weight or even modifying my diet without being able to revert to salads and raw produce. That seems to be a common theme around here.
I'd love to see or be a part of a Crohn's/IBD specific blog/forum/social media group!
01-26-2015, 12:10 AM   #65
Maxwelljax

My Support Groups:
Brownies, cookies, cake (no frosting though) could eat them day. I have read that some IBD patients don't tolerate sweets. Must be the really skinny ones huh? No me lol!
01-26-2015, 12:16 AM   #66
Nancye50

My Support Groups:
The only thing that's given me D more than once is apples. Salad is hit or miss. Greasy food? No problem. Sweets? You betcha! Even beer & wine are fine.
I'm fine avoiding high fiber meals. I'm fine not doing high-impact exercise. But I need to get on track, my own track!
01-26-2015, 12:22 AM   #67
Ann Morgan
I have Acid reflux.....I cannot drink alcohol any longer. I was never a big drinker, but I do miss it.
01-26-2015, 12:27 AM   #68
Nancye50

My Support Groups:
I was on Prevacid & Zantac forever before my first flare. I had terrible chest/rib/back pain. I don't think it was ever acid reflux. I think it was Crohn's all along. I haven't had it for a year!
01-26-2015, 12:29 AM   #69
Maxwelljax

My Support Groups:
I haven't had a drink in years either. Mainly because of meds. Don't remember not tolerating it. Headed to bed ladies... 12:30 in in Fla and morning comes way to early.
02-08-2015, 10:52 PM   #70
Jennifer625

My Support Groups:
I started in my worst flare to date in late December and am now finally feeling somewhat better. Still unable to really eat much (I seriously have no appetite and maybe eat a cup or so of food daily - I go drink ensure though). I've lost 14 pounds since January 9th. Not that I mind the weight loss (I'm 25 pounds overweight) but still...I'd rather lose it in a more healthy way
Internal Hemorrhoids: 9/15/14

Current Medications:
Bentyl - 80 mg
Entocort - 9mg
Protonix - 80mg
02-08-2015, 11:27 PM   #71
Ann Morgan
I started in my worst flare to date in late December and am now finally feeling somewhat better. Still unable to really eat much (I seriously have no appetite and maybe eat a cup or so of food daily - I go drink ensure though). I've lost 14 pounds since January 9th. Not that I mind the weight loss (I'm 25 pounds overweight) but still...I'd rather lose it in a more healthy way
I had a MAJOR change in my Ulcerative Colitis symptoms last May. I went from having diarrhea for years to severe constipation. I had never had such severe constipation. I lost my appetite and hardly ate anything.
I lost 20 pounds in 8 weeks. Then eventually 10 pounds more. I am obese, so all my doctors thought it was great that I lost the weight. I kept trying to explain to my doctors that I was NOT trying to lose weight. My Endocrinologist even said she would like to see me lose 20 pounds ! Anyhow, my symptoms are now back to diarrhea all of the time ( probably from antibiotics in November ). I now have a really big appetite ! Yikes ! I know I have already gained 5 pounds. I don't see a doctor again until June and I don't own a scale at home. PS: After I lost that 30 pounds I did not feel any better at all, I just felt the same. No major changes that I noticed, just my pants being baggier. Have a great week.
02-09-2015, 12:17 AM   #72
Jennifer625

My Support Groups:
It is a bit annoying to have people say "wow...I wish I could lose weight like that!". Or, worse, they think I'm purposely starving myself to lose weight.
02-25-2015, 02:02 PM   #73
SamanthaLynn

My Support Groups:
Hi everyone, I'm happy to see I'm not the only overweight one. I was curvy when I was diagnosed, and after the lovely prednisone I gained 40lbs in a month and a half. I've gained another 20 over the last 2 years. I've tried exercising but it seems to trigger worse bowel movements. And then of course so does healthy food like raw veggies and salad.

I got transferred for work and am now only a 10 minute walk away. However its been freezing here for the past month, mornings are between -30 and -40 degrees, so I haven't been able to walk. My husband and I have also started trying to conceive, it depresses me thinking that I will be a fat pregnant woman and not one of those cute ones.

I look forward to seeing what works for everyone.

DX: July 2012
Previous meds: Mezavant and Methotrexate
Current: Imuran (150mg/day), Folic Acid (5mg), Vitamin D, Raberazole
02-25-2015, 02:04 PM   #74
DJBHeat

My Support Groups:
Hi everyone, I'm happy to see I'm not the only overweight one. I was curvy when I was diagnosed, and after the lovely prednisone I gained 40lbs in a month and a half. I've gained another 20 over the last 2 years. I've tried exercising but it seems to trigger worse bowel movements. And then of course so does healthy food like raw veggies and salad.

I got transferred for work and am now only a 10 minute walk away. However its been freezing here for the past month, mornings are between -30 and -40 degrees, so I haven't been able to walk. My husband and I have also started trying to conceive, it depresses me thinking that I will be a fat pregnant woman and not one of those cute ones.

I look forward to seeing what works for everyone.
Shakeology!
02-25-2015, 08:15 PM   #75
Marlena

SamanthaLynn, you're not alone. I had just got back on track losing weight, got diagnosed, started on Prednisone and wham, there's 20 lbs. It's too cold here to walk outside as well,( the wind chill and have we got wind) is way into the minuses. I find tha juicing really helps keep me somewhat in check. It's a great way to get your veggies without killing your gut. Amazon has a bunch of books anfdthere's stuff here on the forums and lots of recipes on line. Best of luck, M
02-25-2015, 09:00 PM   #76
Lam123

I find juicing really helps and portion control. Even though I do eat a high carb diet, I try and measure portions as much as I can.
Humira weekly
- multi vitamin and vitamin D
- B12 shots monthly
Mother of one beautiful boy and a puppy! 👪🐶Happily married to an amazing and patient man, that I call my best friend❤️I'm just living life one day at a time and trying to figure out this crazy disease! 🍀🌞⭐️
02-26-2015, 09:22 AM   #77
SamanthaLynn

My Support Groups:
I did try the Body By Vi shakes and saw no difference. Is there a particular type you find better DJBHeat?
02-26-2015, 09:54 AM   #78
Nancye50

My Support Groups:
SamanthaLynn, Visalus shakes are so yummy but not very nutritional. I used them as an add-in for smoothies. Shakeology is sold by Beachbody. They claim islets very nutritious. When DJBHeat posted on another thread about the adaptogens in ShakeO, I checked it out. I've ordered a months supply (with a dvd set as a challenge set bc their bundling makes the shakeO cheap if you buy a workout). I'll report back when it gets here!
02-26-2015, 12:03 PM   #79
DJBHeat

My Support Groups:
I haven't tried the body by vi shakes so I really can't comment on it. Shakeology indeed is very nutritious, I drink it as a meal replacement. If you look around on the internet you can find lots of peoples testimonies about it. Works for my body so thats all matters for me. I'd suggest researching it. Still waiting for Nancye50's thoughts on it
02-26-2015, 12:41 PM   #80
SamanthaLynn

My Support Groups:
Any issues getting it in Canada though?
02-26-2015, 12:56 PM   #81
DJBHeat

My Support Groups:
Any issues getting it in Canada though?
Not that I know of
02-26-2015, 04:08 PM   #82
CrohnsChicago
Super Moderator

My Support Groups:
I haven't tried either of those but IdealShape chocolate shakes are not bad either.

I keep a jar of it at home for when I want to supplement a meal and in case I don't feel well digestively and want to avoid solid foods for a long period of time.

I haven't tried the body by vi shakes so I really can't comment on it. Shakeology indeed is very nutritious, I drink it as a meal replacement. If you look around on the internet you can find lots of peoples testimonies about it. Works for my body so thats all matters for me. I'd suggest researching it. Still waiting for Nancye50's thoughts on it
Past Meds:
Prednisone/ Entocort / Flagyl
Current Supplements:
B12 Shot (1cc/mo) / Multivitamin / Vitamin D (1000iu) / Calcium (1200mg) / Omega 3 Fish Oil (4800mg)
Additional Info:
Anemia/Borderline Anemia - whole life
Generalized Anxiety Disorder - 2009 (Cognitive Behavioral Therapy, mindfulness meditation)

03-08-2015, 05:35 PM   #83
Ann Morgan
I have had diarrhea for many years. Last year ( May 2014) I got severe constipation. I lost my appetite and lost 20 pounds in 8 weeks. Then 10 more pounds after that. My doctors were happy. I had to take antibiotics in November 2014. Diarrhea is back. Now I have my appetite back and can't stop eating ! I know I have gained weight because I was at the Emergency Room in the middle of February 2014. I have gained 7 pounds. I am bloated. I have diarrhea and have not been eating properly. My daily smoothies are probably the only healthy thing I eat each day. I am sabotaging my Ulcerative Colitis by eating junk food and then I pay the price for it afterward. My smoothies are great. If I could just drink two smoothies a day and then take vitamins I think my tummy would be happy ? Liquid food is so much better for my colon. I don't want to gain any more weight ! I have had issues with obesity for 30 years and losing those 30 pounds last year was great. I see my Endocrinologist in June 2015. In December 2014 she said she would like to see me lose 20 MORE pounds! Believe it or not, when I lost 30 pounds last year I did not feel better or healthier ... I just felt the same as I did before I lost the weight.

Signed, Bloated Today And Hating It

Thank you for listening.
03-08-2015, 09:25 PM   #84
Marlena

I hear you and send hugs and sympathy. Some days i mjust so ugly tempered.
03-10-2015, 07:40 PM   #85
adr810

My Support Groups:
So glad I found this thread! I've always been overweight or obese- I have about 80lbs to lose but this is not my heaviest weight. It took 7 years to get a diagnosis and I know that was because of my weight. I've started to count my calories while find in trigger foods so I hope this helps. I'm in a flare so I'm too tired and too much pain to workout. I've only met my new GI doc once but he seems determined to not only help me get into remission but to help me with my overall health.

It's nice to know I'm not alone- I hate the comments I get about my weight. Even my mom makes comments and doesn't take my symptoms seriously because my cousin has Crohn's and she struggles to gain weight. To them my weight causes me to be so sick. Ugh!
03-10-2015, 08:02 PM   #86
Lam123

Adr810, I hear ya, it can be very frustrating. Once you start feeling better or the flare calms a bit, try swimming. I find swimming helps me during flares with crohns symptoms and staying somewhat active.

Good Luck!
03-17-2015, 07:32 PM   #87
HangryGinger

My Support Groups:
On one hand I'm glad I'm not the only one struggling with both Crohn's and being overweight... but since I know it's so hard to deal with, im sorry so many others have to deal with it.

One of the most frustrating parts of it for me is that, for the most part if someone even knows what Crohn's is..they automatically assume it's a "skinny" disease. Even my bf has asked me if I'm sure I have Crohn's or not cos I'm a chunky monkey.

And personally I just don't get it. The only time I've ever lost weight with Crohn's was right before I was originally diagnosed - was put on prednisone temporarily and that fixed the weight loss in a hurry. And then again 10 years later when I was flaring so badly that I was close to dying. I can be flaring, with diarrhea and no appetite and not really lose anything more than 5 lbs which I'll gain right back as soon as the flares over and I'm eating relatively normally again.
03-17-2015, 08:17 PM   #88
Ann Morgan
So glad I found this thread! I've always been overweight or obese- I have about 80lbs to lose but this is not my heaviest weight. It took 7 years to get a diagnosis and I know that was because of my weight. I've started to count my calories while find in trigger foods so I hope this helps. I'm in a flare so I'm too tired and too much pain to workout. I've only met my new GI doc once but he seems determined to not only help me get into remission but to help me with my overall health.

It's nice to know I'm not alone- I hate the comments I get about my weight. Even my mom makes comments and doesn't take my symptoms seriously because my cousin has Crohn's and she struggles to gain weight. To them my weight causes me to be so sick. Ugh!
I have been sick since 1997 and was not properly diagnosed until 2006.

Today I ate a sandwich for lunch ( I was not at home ). Not too long after that I had to run to the bathroom to have diarrhea. And my sister wonders why I can't do all of the things she invites me to do ! I have to be near a bathroom !

Glad you found us here. We look forward to chatting with you.
04-01-2015, 02:23 AM   #89
Ann Morgan
When I was a kid I was a normal weight, actually thin in grade school. A normal size in middle school and high school. I first gained weight when I was 19 years old, 20 or 30 pounds as far as I can remember. This is when my roller coaster ride started with weight gain and weight loss. I was 20 years old and had just completed Weight Watchers when I was a healthy and wonderful 129 pounds ! Wow. Two years later I was a hefty 200 pounds ! I have been up and down with my weight the past 30 years. My highest was 232 pounds.

Last year I lost 30 pounds due to severe changes in my Ulcerative Colitis. I was not trying to lose weight at all. I guess I just lost my appetite due to the symptom changes ? Anyhow, my doctors were all happy about the weight loss because I started out at about 200 pounds and ended up at 170 pounds. My sister asked me if I felt better after the weight loss, and I said NO. I still felt the same physically but my clothes were just fit bigger on me. I still feel tired every day. I still have arthritis pain. You would think I would feel better losing the weight, but I did not.

My symptoms changed again later in the year of 2014. ( I was prescribed antibiotics for something ). I started to have an appetite again and now I cannot stop eating ! I am now 188 pounds ! I have gained 18 pounds ! My endocrinologist is not going to be happy in June when I have my bi-yearly visit with her......she wanted me to lose 20 MORE pounds ( she does not want me to get diabetes ). My BMI is 33 which is crazy. I eat a lot of sugar, but my glucose is always under 100 when I have a blood test. I went online and looked at a BMI scale. I would have to get down to 130 pounds to have an acceptable BMI for my height ! I have not weighed 130 pounds since I was 20 years old. I WAS 154 in 2010 and that felt like a good weight for me. 154 pounds for my height is still too high of a BMI according to what I read on the Internet.

Have a good week. Everyone stay healthy !
04-09-2015, 06:16 PM   #90
funjunky

My Support Groups:
Depressed & Stress eating! I am overweight need to know how to find motivation!

Crohn's Disease Forum » General IBD Discussion » Overweight with Crohn's Support Group