Share Facebook
Crohn's Disease Forum » General IBD Discussion » Overweight with Crohn's Support Group

08-01-2016, 02:15 PM   #151
MissLeopard83

My Support Groups:
I am currently undiagnosed after undergoing a battery of tests to find the reason for my GI symptoms, but I am also overweight (right on the borderline of overweight and obese according to my BMI). I lost a lot of weight, intentionally, while following a modified Paleo/Primal diet, but I've been eating a lot of carbs (especially GF white bread which I didn't eat on my diet) which have not helped in maintaining my weight. The carbs help with the GI symptoms - white potatoes, white bread, white rice, etc. It sucks when you have to chose between the two - feeling sick or gaining weight.

The worst thing is that my mom keeps telling me that I'll feel better if I just exercise because lack of exercise is probably making my hips hurt and I need to stop laying around so much. When my gut is sore, bloated, and yucky and my hips are aching, the last thing I want to do is exercise. But, then I also know that it helps keep my weight down. UGH! Vicious cycle...

Last edited by MissLeopard83; 08-01-2016 at 02:39 PM.
01-29-2017, 06:41 PM   #152
Malice67

My Support Groups:
Did my weight loss screw me up? I've been really reducing what I eat and starting some simple exercise -- ie walking!! Have lost 10 pounds in 6 weeks, but have been lightheaded and dizzy three times this past week. Calling my GP tomorrow to make sure I haven't become anemic again or some other random problem. Just pissed because my iron has been behaving since my last infusing in September and now I'm scared I turned things around. Not fair that moving in the right direction with my weight can screw up other things.

fingers crossed my iron is ok.

as needed to control anemia: iron infusions (using Venafer since I had allergic reaction to Injectafer)
01-29-2017, 08:31 PM   #153
rrhood1

My Support Groups:
I doubt that a small weight loss like 10 lbs would put you in a flare unless you're not eating at all. I think you're smart to check it with your doctor. Getting dizzy & light headed is very disconcerting - I have vertigo and hate when I het dizzy. Here's hoping your iron levels continue to be good.

Dx: Crohns - 2010
Dx: Severe cervical spondylosis/foraminal stenosis, ruptured discs
Dx: Severe lumbar ruptured discs
Dx: thyroid cancer - 2 surgeries - done with
Rx: Remicade, Methotrexate, Lyrica, Butrans patch
Vitamin D, C, B, calcium
01-29-2017, 09:55 PM   #154
Malice67

My Support Groups:
thanks
02-02-2017, 07:26 AM   #155
Medwards30

My Support Groups:
I have always been heavy but 3 years of high doses prednisone has increased my weight by 70 pounds
02-02-2017, 09:45 AM   #156
crohner000

My Support Groups:
I have always been slightly overweight, I think it's pretty much just my body type and something I am completely fine with about myself. One thing I have struggled with though is that when I am sick with Crohn's, I do tend to lose some weight and then people compliment my appearance when really it's because I'm having a bad time or in a flare up. So then it kind of creates this backwards relationship in my mind when I am getting better health wise but sometimes putting weight back on. This is just one reason I think that people shouldn't comment on a person's weight unless you know them really well and know their relationship to it. Losing weight is not always a compliment!
02-10-2017, 03:34 AM   #157
mere282

My Support Groups:
Yes it's not uncommon for IBD'ers to be overweight... everyone is different

02-10-2017, 10:24 AM   #158
dejavucandace

My Support Groups:
All this talk of prednisone causing ridiculous weight gains is freaking me out when Im pretty sure im going to be prescribed this after I do the pill camera test. I have already gained close to 30 pounds in the last year without any medication at all. But because I cannot tolerate my previous food choices of lots of raw veggies and fruit I have had to resort to bananas, fish, eggs, potatoes and avocados. And when im not at work im either laying on my couch or in bed sleeping. I literally have no energy at all! Sigh I finally cancelled my gym membership after one year that I could not attend. I also have Hashimotos so although im treated and my levels are good I know that doesn't help. Im pretty sure that my low thyroid which causes constipation has been masking the crohns related diarrhea that most get. Not that I don't get any but not much. I have much softer stools than before but they seem to get stuck at some point and then things become quite painful and its a long process to eliminate. I guess ill just pray that whatever prescribed, the result will be to prevent the inflammation and bleeding in my bowels and hopefully my energy will return so I can have more of a life.
02-10-2017, 11:17 AM   #159
rrhood1

My Support Groups:
You've described the problems that most of us have dealt with. Crohns isn't just diarrhea - it can effect multiple systems in your body all at once. The dreaded prednisone - we almost all recognize that it helps with the symptoms and seems to get the gut inflammation under control but it carries a lot of side effects that we all hate. Effects like huge mood swings ( my husband calls them my " bitch" pills), weight gain, sometimes joint pain, constipation, insomnia. Not nice but if you have to go on it, try to get your GI to limit the duration. At my worst, my GI only has me on them a month - she then gets me to try another Crohns medication.

Crohn's Disease Forum » General IBD Discussion » Overweight with Crohn's Support Group