• Welcome to Crohn's Forum, a support group for people with all forms of IBD. While this community is not a substitute for doctor's advice and we cannot treat or diagnose, we find being able to communicate with others who have IBD is invaluable as we navigate our struggles and celebrate our successes. We invite you to join us.

Six Years Going Strong

G

greenlake

I thought I'd share my experience, as a 25 year-old male living with Crohn's.

I was diagnosed six years ago, when I was 19 - a freshman in college. I had surgery to removed the four fistulas that had infected my insides. Talk about having your life flipped upside-down! The recovery was somewhat slow, but eventually I healed and began taking Pentasa. Life was good and I felt great, for a while.

I stayed on the meds for about 3 years. I started to develop digestive issues (bloating, multiple trips to the bathroom, etc.) and figured it was just a part of living with the disease. I also developed some discomfort/pain in the rectal region, which prompted me to get a colonoscopy. Thankfully, it turned up clean. My doctor prescribed Canasa (mesalamine), a suppository to deal with the localized rectal discomfort, which has helped.

I also discovered Culturelle (an over the counter probiotic) and take it on a daily basis. It has made a huge difference. I now can eat foods that normally would give me issues and my trips to the bathroom are far fewer. Coffee and Alcohol are two things that I enjoy but try to avoid, as they seem to make things worse.

What I have found is that maintaining an active lifestyle helps my symptoms. I ride my bike to work nearly every day, go hiking on the weekend, and do my best to eat healthy and stay in shape.

In closing, living with this disease is challenging. Many people don't understand it and it's symptoms are embarrassing. It's comforting to know that there are others out who are dealing with it -- I guess you have to "play the hand you're dealt"!

Patrick
Seattle, WA

Thanks for sharing your story, Greenlake. I'm glad to hear that you have had some success in managing your symptoms and keeping a positive attitude. I, too, believe that maintaining an active and healthy lifestyle is key. I have founds that exercise and eating right are half the battle. Unfortunately, the other half is out of my control and when those "why me?" days rear their ugly head I just try to remind myself of exactly what you said...You've got to "play the hand your dealt."

Thanks for the encouragement and good luck keeping things in control!

J

JillianB82

Patrick,

Thanks for sharing your story with us! Welcome to CF :)