• Welcome to Crohn's Forum, a support group for people with all forms of IBD. While this community is not a substitute for doctor's advice and we cannot treat or diagnose, we find being able to communicate with others who have IBD is invaluable as we navigate our struggles and celebrate our successes. We invite you to join us.

Ten year old daughter struggling with Crohn's

My daughter was diagnosed with Crohn's. She started having symptoms at six years of age. She has been on numerous medications over the last four years, none of which have worked. She is ten now and steroid dependent. Our next move is to try Remicade. I'm scared. I feel like we're running out of options and she is just a baby. That's the short of it. I'm here looking for support, advice, answers, anything. Thank you.

DJW

Forum Monitor
Hi and welcome. I'm so sorry your daughter's sick.

We have a great group of knowledgeable parents here. They'll be along soon.

Sending you both my support.

my little penguin

Staff member
Please check out the parents forum
http://www.crohnsforum.com/forumdisplay.php?f=49

Lots of parents of little ones on there.
DS was dx at age 7.
He was placed on remicade by age 8- miracle drug.
He is an allergic kiddo all around so no one was surprised when his body started to fight remicade after 8 months .
He started humira last April 2013 and has been on it ever since .

By far biologics have had the least side effects of all the drugs DS has tried and the best at treating the disease so he doesn't feel sick.

He has tried 5-ASA, 6-mp in various combinations and Mtx.

Feel free to vent in the parents group
We all do .

Ibridge,
My daughter was just diagnosied in March 2014 at age seven. Our GI thought starting Emily with Remicade would be the best treatment option. It has great success. My husband and I were both afraid of possible side effects, but we went with the Remicade. Emily after just the third infusion had her colonoscopy last Friday and the healing was amazing. She is considered to be in remission.

I wish your daughter the best.

~julia

my little penguin

Staff member
EEN ( enteral nutrition - formula only) can be used instead of prednisolone but is not a maintence med
En ( formula plus food) can be used a adjunct therapy.
DS used peptamen jr as EEN for 9 weeks at dx and continued with en in addition to his other meds . He currently drinks 2-3 shakes a day.
This helps with grow and nutrition.
Most kids with Ibd are below the 25%
Because of en and biologics he is back to the 70% for both.

Welcome to the forum. My daughter has been on remicade for almost two years and so far no side effects and she is in remission. Sending Hugs and Support.

lbridge welcome. Remicade can be a great medication and works for many kids. Even if you have been through the immunosupressants or other meds there are combo solutions if for some reason you don't get the biologic to do all it should.

Steroid dependency stinks. My kid can't step below 15 mg & currently I think she may have to step up to 20. Venting is encouraged here! We all need to do it with parents that get it & the people here definitely understand!

My son was diagnosed at 10 now he is 15, we have been through so many of the meds, Imuran, methotrexate, LDN, Pentasa, Apriso, EEN. He did really well on them but wasn't ever quite to total remission still lacked an appetite and had very little growth and weight gain was almost non existent. It was not until remicade which we started in January that we have finally seen a solid remission. He is still behind his peers in terms of growth but he is finally growing.
We were reluctant to move to remicade as we always felt that we needed something in our back pocket so to speak we finally were at the point we had tried everything so we needed to give it a shot and if it worked it would hopefully work through his growth years (hopefully longer) and new meds are being studied all the time so if and when it quits working there are or may be other options.