• Welcome to Crohn's Forum, a support group for people with all forms of IBD. While this community is not a substitute for doctor's advice and we cannot treat or diagnose, we find being able to communicate with others who have IBD is invaluable as we navigate our struggles and celebrate our successes. We invite you to join us.

Ulcers on the back of throat

My son is having another round of mouth ulcers. He gets them on his gums and lips, but has anyone ever had them on that uvula thing that dangles in the back ot the throat? Or on the sides of the back of his throat? You can't really threat those with any med... we have started Chlorhexadine mouth wash. So frustrating

DJW

Forum Monitor
That's awful.

I've had them in the back of my throat and down my esophagus. Painful to swallow.
I don't recall what the doctor gave me.

my little penguin

Staff member
Have they biopsied any of the ulcers?
When DS had recurring ulcers that was going to be our next step .

Have they looked at bechets ?
That mimics crohn's as well as causing severe ulcers .

He has signs of oral crohns. Dermatologist did all kinds of tests. No biopsies tho. I was just wondering if anyone had any tricks to treat the uvula or back of throat. The chorhexadine has helped. They are starting to go away.

my little penguin

Staff member
The chorohexadine doesn't stop them from cropping up but it can help heal them faster at least for DS .
DS also uses the oral b version ( OTC) when he has milder crops since it doesn't stain the teeth like chorohexadine does.

I have had them under my tongue and between the teeth & inner cheek. My dentist told me to use a very mild toothpaste. Gargles with only warm salt water.
He gave me prescription called vicious lidocaine. I also. had dry mouth at the same time
He gave some bioten. It had 3 components. A type of cream
That soothes the ulcers a rinse thhat helps and a toothpaste that seemed not to burn them. The Lidocaine will numb completely use care to only swish and spit. I hope this helps. I really can empathize. Cause. This hurts
Bethy

We use an rx of Magic Mouth wash. grace gets open ulcer type sores. Very painful and can take up a large portion. This helps a lot.

Warm salt gargle, ice cubes and ice chips, cold drinks (though I know for some people, it upsets their GIs), and avoiding spice and too much salt is how I deal with mouth ulcers, deep cracks in the corners of my mouth, and roof of mouth and side of tongue 'burning'.

Ibuprofen to help the pain, topical lidocaine if it's really bad (sometimes it is).

Extra B vitamins, extra calcium and magnesium (citrate, 2:1 variety) helps, too, for some reason.

I've heard that mouth ulcers can occur as a response to lowered immune and as a response to lack of certain nutrients, so I guess in my case, the extra B, calcium, and magnesium help for that reason.

But another thing to watch out for, though, is a cold sore infection (herpes simplex of the mouth; it's really common just not everyone shows outbreaks) and coxsackie virus infection.

Adults usually don't get coxsackie, but after a series of flares - each coming with a different mouth-related issue - I got a flare that led to a small blistered rash along the side of my mouth and ulcers inside my lips and in my throat and my doctor swabbed me just in case like he always does... and it turned out I had -somehow- gotten the coxsackie virus that had been going around though previously, all the other ulcerations were of the non-infectious variety.

I blamed working during holidays.

Hugs to everyone!

He was tested at Mayo for all the viruses, yeast infections, etc. They are getting better now again. So I think staying on his supplements, the chlorhexadine mouth wash, and treating the ulcers as he first feels them seems to work best. I think getting his crohn's under control will be what he really needs... that's the hard part!!