Share Facebook

08-16-2014, 04:18 PM   #1
positivemum

My Support Groups:
Imodium query

Hi my son has started with more urgency and stress has had a huge impact in the last few months. He has started to use imodium for major events. Is this ok?

Also, how do your kids handle exam and teenage stress?

Thanks in advance
08-16-2014, 04:45 PM   #2
Maya142
Forum Monitor

My Support Groups:
I'm also interested in knowing about Imodium - my daughter also has issues with urgency.

Her GI prescribed hydrocortisone enemas but so far M has completely refused to even try them. She also suggested canasa suppositories, but according to M those are even worse.

In terms of stress, my daughter sees a psychologist who works in the IBD clinic where her GI is. It has been SO very helpful.
Juvenile Ankylosing Spondylitis at 16

Mom of S (23)
dx with JIA at 14
Ankylosing Spondylitis at 18
08-16-2014, 04:54 PM   #3
DustyKat
Super Moderator

Matt uses Imodium on occasions when psyllium isn’t suitable. The only issue he has with them is they can cause him some cramping.

There shouldn’t be any issue using them if there are no strictures present.

Dusty. xxx
08-16-2014, 05:45 PM   #4
Daisy123
This is the patient information leaflet from my hospital. Hope it helps.

http://www.stmarkshospital.org.uk/up...Loperamide.pdf
08-17-2014, 12:02 AM   #5
FrozenGirl

My Support Groups:
I used lomatil ( similar to prescription strength Imodium) as directed by my gi for a while to decrease night waking. As long ad you arent at risk of obstruction and only using it on as needed basis. As for stress, the eaisiest for me is just taking 10 minutea for a breather break. Not thinking about anything, might do aome light reading, flip through a magazine, eat a light snack etc.
Vitamin D 1000iu
Calcium
Tecta 40mg
Remicade: 600mg, every 4 weeks
Methotrexate: 15 mg (injection)
08-17-2014, 06:16 AM   #6
Mehita
Forum Monitor

My Support Groups:
Our GI said to only use Imodium as a last resort... he'd prefer we try Cipro or Flagyl first (i.e. when traveling). If there's been a change in bowel habits he wants to know right away so DS can be monitored more closely in case its the start of a flare. So, in a nutshell, I'd suggest talking with your GI first.

For teenage stress DS sees a therapist. I think it helps? It just gives him an opportunity to talk to someone besides mom and dad. For tests, we take the practical approach - no procrastinating, plan ahead, etc. Good life habits to have anyway. It doesn't alway work and he's had to experience the consequences more than once before catching on, but... it does help cut down on test stress.
- Multivitamins, Probiotics, Vit D
- Small bowel resection, Jan 2013
08-17-2014, 10:06 AM   #7
Jmrogers4

My Support Groups:
emergency use has been okay'd like if we were traveling to get home but only to get home and get in to see the GI

Mom to Jack (18) dx Crohn's 2/2010
Vitamin D -2000mg
Remicade - started 1/9/14; 7.5ml/kg every 6 weeks
Centrum for Him teen multivitamin
Past meds: Imuran/Azathioprine; allopurinol; methotrexate; LDN; Prednisone; Apriso; Pentasa; EEN

Husband dx Crohn's 3/1993
currently none due to liver issues
08-17-2014, 12:06 PM   #8
Maya142
Forum Monitor

My Support Groups:
That's what M's GI says too, but my stubborn teenager won't even consider trying the things her GI suggested (enemas/suppositories) so not sure what'll happen when school starts!
08-17-2014, 10:06 PM   #9
SupportiveMom
Forum Monitor

My Support Groups:
· Stoma
For a while D used immodium regularly. Now she uses it when she has to travel on public transit and there aren't many bathrooms on the way. Her doc said it was fine to take no more than the daily allowance. I limit it as I don't want her to build up a tollerance to it. We are now on Costco brand of immodium. It seems to work better and definitely better on the pocket book!

Ileostomy surgery July 2015

Current Meds: None!
Previous Meds: Humira, Remicade, Methotrexate, Cipro, Flagyl, Zofran, Cortifoam, 5-ASA suppository, Questran, Mezavant, EEN (Peptamen Jr. 1.5) by NG tube, Antibiotic Cocktail (Vancomycin, Metronidazole & Doxycycline), Simponi, Prevacid, Imuran, prednisone
ibdsupportivmom.wordpress.com ☆