• Welcome to Crohn's Forum, a support group for people with all forms of IBD. While this community is not a substitute for doctor's advice and we cannot treat or diagnose, we find being able to communicate with others who have IBD is invaluable as we navigate our struggles and celebrate our successes. We invite you to join us.

Imodium query

Hi my son has started with more urgency and stress has had a huge impact in the last few months. He has started to use imodium for major events. Is this ok?

Also, how do your kids handle exam and teenage stress?

Thanks in advance

Maya142

Staff member
I'm also interested in knowing about Imodium - my daughter also has issues with urgency.

Her GI prescribed hydrocortisone enemas but so far M has completely refused to even try them. She also suggested canasa suppositories, but according to M those are even worse.

In terms of stress, my daughter sees a psychologist who works in the IBD clinic where her GI is. It has been SO very helpful.

DustyKat

Super Moderator
Matt uses Imodium on occasions when psyllium isn’t suitable. The only issue he has with them is they can cause him some cramping.

There shouldn’t be any issue using them if there are no strictures present.

Dusty. xxx

I used lomatil ( similar to prescription strength Imodium) as directed by my gi for a while to decrease night waking. As long ad you arent at risk of obstruction and only using it on as needed basis. As for stress, the eaisiest for me is just taking 10 minutea for a breather break. Not thinking about anything, might do aome light reading, flip through a magazine, eat a light snack etc.

Our GI said to only use Imodium as a last resort... he'd prefer we try Cipro or Flagyl first (i.e. when traveling). If there's been a change in bowel habits he wants to know right away so DS can be monitored more closely in case its the start of a flare. So, in a nutshell, I'd suggest talking with your GI first.

For teenage stress DS sees a therapist. I think it helps? It just gives him an opportunity to talk to someone besides mom and dad. For tests, we take the practical approach - no procrastinating, plan ahead, etc. Good life habits to have anyway. It doesn't alway work and he's had to experience the consequences more than once before catching on, but... it does help cut down on test stress.

Maya142

Staff member
That's what M's GI says too, but my stubborn teenager won't even consider trying the things her GI suggested (enemas/suppositories) so not sure what'll happen when school starts!

For a while D used immodium regularly. Now she uses it when she has to travel on public transit and there aren't many bathrooms on the way. Her doc said it was fine to take no more than the daily allowance. I limit it as I don't want her to build up a tollerance to it. We are now on Costco brand of immodium. It seems to work better and definitely better on the pocket book!