• Welcome to Crohn's Forum, a support group for people with all forms of IBD. While this community is not a substitute for doctor's advice and we cannot treat or diagnose, we find being able to communicate with others who have IBD is invaluable as we navigate our struggles and celebrate our successes. We invite you to join us.

New to disease

Just been diagnosed with Crohn's and am totally lost. Had no obvious symptoms of the disease. Was not able to walk for a while because of swelling and pain in ankles and knees and had broke out in a lot of ugly sores on my legs. Am here to ask questions and maybe find a few answers. thanks for allowing me to join group. Am totally confused.

Welcome to the forum. Feel free to ask questions. I know everyone has their own individual experiences but I have found most are friendly and have been in the same place I am and others are at all times. We are all here to support you.

Was disappointed with my first rheumatologist appointment. He took the information I had carried from the health clinic and the CNP I was going and went from there. No tests. Prescribed steroids and told me to come back in 2 months. The gastro doctor that said it looked like Crohns put me on Pentasa for 3 months and said he was anxious to see what rheumatologist said. Had a colonoscopy done because I now have insurance and it is a preventative procedure for age 50 and over. I am 54 and never had any intestinal problems to know of. Still very confused

Hi, I'm not sure I've quite understood from your post which doctors you are seeing - were you diagnosed with Crohn's by the colonoscopy? A rheumatologist wouldn't normally be the one in charge of managing Crohn's, so I wouldn't be too disheartened if he didn't help with it, it's the gastroenterologist's area of expertise. Sometimes Crohn's can cause damage over the long-term even without causing digestive symptoms, which is why your doctors feel you need medication even if you don't feel unwell from it. But at the same time, if you've had a recent colonoscopy and no significant symptoms, they may feel a lot of invasive testing is unnecessary. They may want to wait and do more testing after the medication's had a chance to kick in, to see how well it's working. Do they think the leg pains and swelling are to do with the Crohn's?

Sorry if I've misunderstood your posts - do you have any specific questions?

No cramping, no diarrhea, no weight loss. Colonoscopy because of age (54). Ulcerative coilitis diagnosed with all signs pointing to crohns. 2 months prior to colonoscopy, ankles and knees were extremely swollen and painful, along with ugly sore on legs, and ulcers in throat and mouth. Waited 4 months to see rheumatologist and by then had started on mobic for joints and pentasa for coilitis. He did no tests but put me on steroids for joint pain!!! Maybe there could be something else going on. I don't understand what I have or what is going on with my body. Patiently waiting to see gasto doctor and rheumatologist again in October. I know this all sounds confusing. I am confused.