Share Facebook
Crohn's Disease Forum » Diet, Fitness, and Supplements » Nothing tastes good, don't want to end up back in hospital

08-23-2014, 12:36 PM   #1
UnXmas
Banned

My Support Groups:
∑ Stoma
Nothing tastes good, don't want to end up back in hospital

I'm sure many of you have read by now my very longstanding problems with being severely underweight. I just spent five weeks in hospital. They confirmed that my problem is not just that I feel too ill to eat enough, and that I worry about eating because I know it is not good for my digestive system, but that I also need more calories than I should (i.e. I need to eat more than someone of my height, weight, activity level, etc. should need in order to gain), but they are not sure why.

I've basically maintained weight in the couple of weeks I've been home, but I am still so dangerously underweight, I'll be back in hospital sooner or later if I can't gain and my doctor keeps monitoring me. But I am so full all the time, and nothing tastes good. Eating is just miserable.

I'm having all the supplements, but they just seem sickly sweet and fill me up also. My digestive system couldn't tolerate NG feed. I have to eat low-fibre and avoid things that will block my stoma.

I just don't know what to eat?! I know I've asked before, I know no one here can probably help much with the medical side, but I'd just like some more suggestions of meals/foods - things that are easy to prepare, and not filling! I'm just hoping that if I try enough new things I'll find something that goes down ok. I tend to find particular foods/meals that I really like, eat them frequently for a time, but then suddenly find I can't face them. But at the moment, I can't face anything, I'm trying to find new foods to be my regulars, trying both things I liked in the past and new things as well, but I just can't seem to find anything I can stand right now.
08-23-2014, 12:46 PM   #2
BlackButterflies

My Support Groups:
Can you eat any veg at all depending on how it's prepped?
08-23-2014, 12:46 PM   #3
FrozenGirl

My Support Groups:
What a crappy situation. Personally I like soup, chicken noodle/potato are my faves. The downside is that while they aren't very filling they aren't packed with calories either. (Though the potato soup has more). I guess something with call you can eat is better than nothing. I will try and think of other things.

Hugs
Vitamin D 1000iu
Calcium
Tecta 40mg
Remicade: 600mg, every 4 weeks
Methotrexate: 15 mg (injection)
08-23-2014, 12:49 PM   #4
SarahD

Do you have a slow cooker by any chance? I make a nice mild curry in mine, using coconut milk and curry powder for the base and then I use potatoes, chicken and mushrooms in it, although you could use pretty much any meat or veg that you like and which agrees with you. If you use full fat coconut milk then it's quite calorific, and I don't find it overly filling.

Current meds:
Azathioprine, Allopurinol, Calcichew D3-Forte, Fortijuice, Alendronic acid, Ranitidine

Previous meds:
Augmentin, Doxycycline, Lansoprazole, Asacol, Pentasa, Prednisolone, Entocort, Cipro, Flagyl, Elemental Extra 028
08-23-2014, 12:52 PM   #5
BlackButterflies

My Support Groups:
I don't know if you like purťed foods or not but I have really started to enjoy soups made from yam, squash, pumpkin or potato or any other smashed and super cooked veg for different flavors, with garlic, ginger and other spices. Also, blending up banana or plantain and frying it with honey and cinammon is amazing. If you can handle any oils add it in to increase calories as well.
08-23-2014, 01:09 PM   #6
FrozenGirl

My Support Groups:
I second yam soup as well, super tasty, more cals but not too filling.
08-23-2014, 02:08 PM   #7
Cosmojo

My Support Groups:
When I go through times I can't eat I get whatever I want, be it orange chicken with steamed rice, or nachos (nothing spicy, and no raw veggies) and I eat it VERY slow. if it tastes good sometimes you can trick youreself into taking a bit every once in awhile without noticing and suddenly a few hours later you ate a whole meal and never felt full!

I don't often to the super bland stuff like baby food or other blended things, I find it reinforces the whole "all food is nasty" feeling. I got advice from a GI awhile ago that told me if it sounds good I should eat it- eating something is better than nothing. What sounds good? If veggies sound good maybe do a veggie stir fry to get it all easier to digest?

In the past:
Humira weekly- didn't work
Remicade every 6 weeks- had lots of side effects after being on it for 4 years
Prednisone & all steroids- I get manic episodes so I can't take
Pentasa- didn't work
Imuran- not currently using but did seem to work
MTX- stopped, my kidneys were getting lots of infections

Just trying my best to get through graduate school
08-23-2014, 03:00 PM   #8
my little penguin
Forum Monitor

My Support Groups:
A while ago for DS we used my fitness pal -
Obviously you need the extra calories but it can help you see what your getting for the day.
We hid extra full fat things in other foods to up his calories .
Not familiar with stoma issues -
Lots of mini meals every two hours while awake

Peanut butter toast with butter underneath .
High protein/high fat ( avacados , olive oil ( on cooked veggies. Vs plain).
Buy whey protein powder to mix in mashed potatoes or baked potatoes .
Mix eggs with oatmeal cinnamon small amount of sugar - baked
Or eggie covered toast .
Nut butters with puffed rice cereal eggs honey - bake - freeze - homemade granola.
Unflavored peptamen or other supplement used instead of water for cooking with things .
Almond milk banana nut butter smoothie ( or coconut also high fat )
Nutrionally dense food is your friend right now .
08-23-2014, 07:10 PM   #9
If*

Hi there, so sorry you are having a yuck time. You have to eat, you have to nourish your body. I know you already know this. So ~ you have to start someplace
I have severe weight issues too. I am sappose to eat, consume, ingest a ridiculous number of calories a day. Honestly, i just can't do it. So, I just keep trying different things. I know a lot of people don't like the thought of supplement drinks, and i am sure you have tried them all. BUT, i just started a new combo this week and so far so good. I had been using the Boost in powder form and adding to organic milk (kinda a 50/50 organic no organic split) it was not doing much. Then I added Nutiva Organic Hemp Protein 15g with amino acids plus. It is true to form and easy to digest just like it says. Seriously one of the best protein supplements I have ever tried. It is not gooey, or thick and really does not taste bad. You can mix a small glass, or whatever size you can handle with the measured amount. I mix a smaller glass so I don't have to drink so much. also you can put it in smoothies, shakes, etc. Shop around for best price.
I am always on the hunt for adding something to my daily intake for better health. I make a huge effort. I totally understand what it is like to not be hungry, but the longer you go the harder it gets. I have to try and find what taste right, what digest right and what won't haunt me the rest of the day/night.
I know you have heard everything else, hope my above tip, try, might help you too. For now it is helping me.

Ask your Dr. about adding extra fat, since we can get gallstones fairly easily.
Take care.
08-24-2014, 04:30 AM   #10
UnXmas
Banned

My Support Groups:
∑ Stoma
Thank you everyone for your suggestions!

Can you eat any veg at all depending on how it's prepped?
Yes, I can eat well-cooked root veg like carrots and swede.

I don't often to the super bland stuff like baby food or other blended things, I find it reinforces the whole "all food is nasty" feeling. I got advice from a GI awhile ago that told me if it sounds good I should eat it- eating something is better than nothing.
I eat baby food fruit pots sometimes - I can't stand baby food veg though! I think you're right, that baby food can sometimes feel the way drinking Ensures feels - like you're not eating real food, it's just a medicine you're taking, so you almost expect it to be not great.

It's funny that I've been advised sometimes to just eat whatever sounds good - so if you feel like ice cream for breakfast or whatever, you just have it. But then others have said that you shouldn't even try to find something you fancy, because if you're not feeling like eating anything at all, you'll end up having nothing, and so recommend that you do just have to treat food like medicine, and have set meals planned out, so you don't have to think about it - you just eat what you've planned. I think I prefer the first option, your GI's recommendation. If only I can find enough things I feel like!
08-24-2014, 07:45 AM   #11
UnXmas
Banned

My Support Groups:
∑ Stoma
I'm just going to ramble for a bit. I don't expect everyone to read it all, I'm just getting my thoughts out.

I'm kind of torn between whether I should be trying to come up with nice, supposedly tasty, things to eat, or eat whatever's in the house that needs using up. I feel kind of resentful - though resentful towards whom, I'm not sure - that I spend money on food that I'm not going to enjoy. Not that money is a massive deal right now, it's just that I've bought some fairly nice chocolate and puddings and things, and then just end up feeling ill half-way through eating them, and it seems like a waste when I could give them to someone who'd enjoy them. But then when I stick to the basic stuff, bread, cereal - and lots of the Tesco Everyday Value range (cheap supermarket range in the UK) - then I wonder that it's not surprising I don't like it.

I've also started worrying about the overall healthiness of my diet. As I said, (a million times probably ) I can't eat fibre, and I also can't be filling myself up on low-calorie foods, so my fruit and vegetable intake is poor, I eat refined foods instead of wholegrains. I wanted to get some cereal bars to give myself a break from chocolate bars sometimes, but they're all full of nuts and seeds and dried fruit and crunchy grains, and would just make me very sick. I've been wondering if Nutrigrain bars would be ok? They're kind of a soft texture, more like cake texture. Or maybe some of the kids cereal bars that are made from Rice Krispies and things. The two standard healthy yet low fibre and high calorie foods seem to be peanut butter and avocados - which I used to really like but now I don't want them.

I'm doing my online supermarket shopping order today, and have no idea what I want to get. The family meals are planned for the week, but I need to get things for my snacks - snacks that I suppose have to be quite substantial, as I can't manage big meals, and eat around five small meals/large snacks a day instead.

I don't understand why this is becoming such a big problem for me now. When I was in hospital, I was putting it down to the disgusting hospital food (it really was disgusting). But now I'm home and can have what I want, when I want, and I don't want anything. I've been reading while I eat, to distract myself, but it's not helping much. I've long had problems with feeling too full or worrying food's going to make me ill, but behind that I have always still recognised that I like the tastes of many foods, and the positive feeling of comfort-eating. I don't understand what changed when I was admitted to hospital. Is this a psychological thing? Or did they do something to me when I was in hospital that changed things physically - I reacted very badly to the NG feed, or maybe I just ate so much I did some damage?

And I keep thinking that I could keep making myself eat, and it still might not do enough good to keep me out of hospital.
08-24-2014, 10:26 AM   #12
If*

Ramble on, food can be incredibly difficult. I do our family grocery shopping and buy incredibly good looking, tasting, healthy items. I find that no matter how good it may be, my hungry can be squashed by nausea or i just don't know what at times. Something i thought i could or would like becomes totally gross. Also, i have found things i really liked, ate far too many of and can't face them anymore ~classic law of diminishing returns~ Possibly, what happens in the hospital could be a combination of things, odors, bland food, medicine mouth, lack of sleep, etc. It can effect hunger, at least it did mine. The weakness felt when you finally get out is incredible sometimes.
I don't know UnXmas, it is so much more then 'just eat'. So much can be affected, from the psyche, the way it smells, texture, how it sits once within, and on... At my lowest weight i was desperately trying, did the ice cream, high fats, sweets, etc. My opposite of my norm and nothing was helping, until i really went balls out, against my norm gave in and ate what i never thought i would. It sat well, so each day i had 1, then 2 a day. With time, I finally started gaining and went from a bmi of 14 up to a 16. I look back and now & think a part of the confusion of what to eat or do was the low body weight itself. In lacking so much in nutrition it had a similar effect of dehydration. It is such a hard place to be in with this illness ~ somehow, someway, something will finally click into place and things will get better.I still struggle with weight. The efforts behind it are huge and no one understands unless it is happening to them. It is difficult but you are amazingly strong and i just know you will triumph!
08-24-2014, 10:55 AM   #13
UnXmas
Banned

My Support Groups:
∑ Stoma
I do our family grocery shopping and buy incredibly good looking, tasting, healthy items. I find that no matter how good it may be, my hungry can be squashed by nausea or i just don't know what at times. Something i thought i could or would like becomes totally gross. Also, i have found things i really liked, ate far too many of and can't face them anymore ~classic law of diminishing returns~ !
This describes me exactly. Suddenly I just can't stand something anymore, and I can't even say why, I just can't. Or I start eating something and it just feels all wrong.

until i really went balls out, against my norm gave in and ate what i never thought i would. It sat well, so each day i had 1, then 2 a day.
What were the things you'd never thought you'd eat? I have tried that approach, kind of, but I worry about wasting food, I don't want to buy things that I then can't bring myself to eat, or try eating and then can't finish.

Thank you so much for replying. It's rare to find people who struggle to gain weight, when so many people have the opposite problem. My house is full of healthy people - no weight worries either way. I couldn't ask for better company in that respect - no one's on diets, they're all healthy weights, and eat healthy, home-cooked food as well as enjoying desserts and treats, and all get plenty of exercise. So I feel bad when I'm struggling so much to eat - I think it comes across as fussiness or faddy eating, and I have such a hard time trying to put into words how every message my body is sending me is that it doesn't want food.
08-24-2014, 11:17 AM   #14
If*

Hi UnXmas, the balance/weight gain can be risky. What i did to gain came with (what i feel) to be a host of additional problems. I ate high fats ~ I feel so guilty even now eating the 'red meat' ~ I ate double cheeseburgers ~ daily ~ started with 1, then 2 even 3 sometimes. (I can't even look at them now/ lol) I also added small portions of rich foods, with butter or high fats. With the high fats i feel it directly effected my gallbladder and developed stones. Passing a stone is worse the labor. I ended up having my gallbladder removed which made eating or digesting fats even harder now. I try desperately to figure out 'now what' and feel so lost at times.

I totally know what you mean about 'people who struggle with weight gain'

I have actually heard a number of times how lucky I am to be thin. The dirty looks heavier people give, the judgement from those who have no idea whats going on. If they only knew the suffering.
08-24-2014, 11:22 AM   #15
If*

As for fats ` non meat ~ is a huge reason I look for easy to digest - clean protein ~ organic plant based sources.
08-24-2014, 01:47 PM   #16
afidz
Super Moderator

My Support Groups:
I've just spent the weekend feeding a 5 year old through a port in her stomach, I forget the name of it, but would something like that work for you? That way you can ensure that you are getting the calories you need and you can still eat orally as well
Ankilosing Spondylitis
Inflammatory Arthritis

Failed meds:
Humira
Remicade
Asacol HD
Cimzia
Methotrexate
08-24-2014, 04:30 PM   #17
Jennifer
Adminstrator

My Support Groups:
What happened exactly with the NG feed?

Not sure if this pertains to you or not but I watched Hitler's GI Death Camp on Netflix recently and one of the survivors mentioned that their body was rejecting food after not being fed for so long (it caused him to vomit). They had to slowly dribble food down with a straw. When your body is so used to not having much food, it reacts differently when you finally try to get some down. People who are trying to recover from anorexia deal with the same problems like abdominal pain, diarrhea, nausea etc. With the GI's who were brought back from the camp, the nurses helped them gain weight back by making them whatever sounded good. One guy wanted eggs, the nurse asked how he wanted them and he said, every way possible. So the nurse came back with 12 eggs made 12 different ways. Not everyone is able to just go all out and start eating loads of food right away though.

I agree with blending foods to help break down the fiber. It won't taste as bad as baby food either (I only eat fruit flavored baby food). Pea soup is awesome and smooth, there are also a lot of other soups that have a wonderful texture when blended. I got one of those hand held blenders you can use in the pot (an immersion blender) rather than using a table top blender. Best thing about making a large amount of soup is that you can portion it out and freeze it for later so that's less waste.

Blending up smoothies is good too and you can also freeze them. It helps break down the fiber and you can add Greek yogurt/frozen Greek yogurt, sherbet/sorbet and frozen fruits that don't have seeds like peaches, mangoes, bananas etc. They're really good too. Have a little bit at a time and put it back in the freezer.

This is going to be a slow process but eventually you will be able to train your body to accept food again, then you can switch to solid foods and larger meals. Keep doing your best and keep us posted.

Chances are you're seeing one already but are you currently seeing a dietitian? Also I wouldn't worry about the healthy factor of the food at this point. You can always go healthy once you're out of this danger zone.
Things I take: Tenormin 25mg (PVCs and Tachycardia), Junel, Tylenol 3, Omeprazole 20mg 2/day, Klonopin 1mg 2/day (anxiety), Restoril 15mg (insomnia), Claritin 20mg
Currently in: REMISSION Thought it was a flare but it's just scar tissue from my resection. Dealing with a stricture. Remission from my resection, 17 years and counting.
08-25-2014, 05:04 AM   #18
UnXmas
Banned

My Support Groups:
∑ Stoma
I've just spent the weekend feeding a 5 year old through a port in her stomach, I forget the name of it, but would something like that work for you? That way you can ensure that you are getting the calories you need and you can still eat orally as well
There was talk about putting in a port, but the gastroenterologist said I was too sick to undergo the surgery needed to put it in. I'm not sure she was right on this, since I've had two surgeries in the last year, one of them major, whilst being pretty much this weight.

Not sure if this pertains to you or not but I watched Hitler's GI Death Camp on Netflix recently and one of the survivors mentioned that their body was rejecting food after not being fed for so long (it caused him to vomit). They had to slowly dribble food down with a straw. When your body is so used to not having much food, it reacts differently when you finally try to get some down. People who are trying to recover from anorexia deal with the same problems like abdominal pain, diarrhea, nausea etc. With the GI's who were brought back from the camp, the nurses helped them gain weight back by making them whatever sounded good. One guy wanted eggs, the nurse asked how he wanted them and he said, every way possible. So the nurse came back with 12 eggs made 12 different ways. Not everyone is able to just go all out and start eating loads of food right away though.
That's the thing though, the doctors, and the nurses on the ward, were amazed at how much I could eat. Basing their original assumptions on my weight, they assumed I'd been near starving, eating tiny portions or practically nothing. But I had always been eating regular meals. Not huge, but consistently - four or five small meals a day - I was certainly not to the point where my system wasn't used to food.

And I've gained and lost weight so many times in the past - I know from experience that my stomach doesn't get used to larger portions. I've tried increasing the amount I eat gradually, and stuck with it for a long time (months) trying to get my body used to more food, but it never does get used to it. My symptoms just get worse and worse, and the longer the period of time in which I keep forcing down more food, the faster my symptoms deteriorate.

What happened exactly with the NG feed?
My stoma was filling up with water-consistency output, many, many times a day, and my weight dropped. I had terrible stomach cramps too.

When I had the tube, then my system wasn't tolerating it, and my stoma output reflected that. But once they took the tube out, and I was just eating proper food, my output returned to normal. They were weighing all the stoma output, measuring my urine, recording everything I ate and drank. And that's why it's so hard to understand - apart from when I had the tube, my output was pretty normal. I never vomit. So it wasn't clear where the calories were going to, although stool tests did show some fat malabsorbtion apparently, though the doctors didn't tell me how much exactly.

This is why my surgeon thinks some of the weight loss may be from muscle wasting, as my body doesn't act like it's starving - my system does tolerate food.
08-25-2014, 05:09 AM   #19
UnXmas
Banned

My Support Groups:
∑ Stoma
Chances are you're seeing one already but are you currently seeing a dietitian?
Yes, I saw one in the hospital, who specialised in weight gain - she works with people with anorexia a lot, as well as with people with IBD. One of my gastroenterologists also specialises in nutrition. I didn't find the dietician that helpful. She didn't know much about stomas, which I thought was odd considering her area of expertise. I went into hospital with the assumption that she would be able to tell me how much I needed to eat to gain weight, but she couldn't - which I don't think is her fault, I don't think anyone can understand my weight, but it meant that she didn't really have anything useful to add. I already know the basics of calorie-condense foods, avoiding fibre, etc. All the dietician did was order the NG feed, and then stop it again when I reacted to it, and then prescribe more and more supplements, until I was finally having so many, along with real food, that I gained a couple of kilos.

She didn't think it was worth carrying on seeing me as an outpatient, because she really didn't have anything more to add.
08-25-2014, 05:43 AM   #20
UnXmas
Banned

My Support Groups:
∑ Stoma
The other thing they did while I was in hospital, was have me monitored by a nurse, one to one, twenty four hours a day. I think this was a good thing. You may have read in my posts that I've been accused of having anorexia or other eating disorders in the past. These doctors didn't bother getting into arguments about it with me, or suspecting me of hiding something from them - they had someone watch me all the time, even in the bathroom, so they knew they could trust me, and were certain I wasn't making myself sick, secretly exercising or hiding food. And I cooperated, because I knew I had nothing to hide (and all the nurses looking after me were so lovely - it made the time in hospital pass much more quickly always having someone to talk to!). So for the first time, I guess, I had "proof" that I wasn't deliberately trying to lose weight, and that I could eat what should have made me gain weight, and still lose.
08-25-2014, 02:55 PM   #21
If*

Hi UnXmas, i was going to ask about muscle wasting but didn't want to pry. I was wondering how or why the current weight issues you mention would, or could be affected by muscle wasting? How would that effect gaining weight?

Please share if you have info, much appreciated.
Hope today finds you doing better.
08-25-2014, 07:37 PM   #22
SmellyMelly

Once when I could not eat either, I did a liquid diet for 15 days. Things like vegetable juices, water and broth. No solid food.

After that I felt well enough to slowly start introducing blended fruits in form of smoothies, and stewed fruit, and then onto steamed and roasted vegetables.

Then added a protein / food supplement powder to the smoothies.......then by day 30 returned to normal diet.

Although maybe if you are loosing weight that may not be the best action. This is because you may lose a bit of weight on a liquid diet. I did not; but you may do.
08-26-2014, 04:42 AM   #23
UnXmas
Banned

My Support Groups:
∑ Stoma
Hi UnXmas, i was going to ask about muscle wasting but didn't want to pry. I was wondering how or why the current weight issues you mention would, or could be affected by muscle wasting? How would that effect gaining weight?

Please share if you have info, much appreciated.
Hope today finds you doing better.
My surgeon said it sounded like motor neurone disease, except he hadn't that I definitely don't have motor neurone disease as I don't have the other symptoms. What happens is that your muscles waste away, regardless of calories consumed. Losing the muscle, which is heavier than fat or whatever else people are made up of, so weight drops. I think that's right anyway. He said I'd need a muscle biopsy to test for it. I don't know - it's the best theory any of the doctors have come up with so far, though I don't know if it fits me all that well. Then again, nothing fits me well - no one knows what's going on.
08-26-2014, 04:46 AM   #24
UnXmas
Banned

My Support Groups:
∑ Stoma
Once when I could not eat either, I did a liquid diet for 15 days. Things like vegetable juices, water and broth. No solid food.

After that I felt well enough to slowly start introducing blended fruits in form of smoothies, and stewed fruit, and then onto steamed and roasted vegetables.

Then added a protein / food supplement powder to the smoothies.......then by day 30 returned to normal diet.

Although maybe if you are loosing weight that may not be the best action. This is because you may lose a bit of weight on a liquid diet. I did not; but you may do.
Thank you for the suggestion. I think that would be out of the question right now for me though. My BMI was 10 when I went into hospital, and I've only gained a couple of kilos since then. I really can't afford to risk losing any more.

I haven't tried a liquid diet before, however, so it's definitely something I'll keep in mind if I'm able to get to a point where it's safe enough to try it (though of course, when I can do that, it may not be necessary ). The closest I did was when I had post-surgical ileus, and couldn't eat for a couple of weeks, but I couldn't swallow liquids for some of that time either, and was having IV fluids and TPN. So that break from food didn't help my digestive system, but then I was so sick I couldn't have expected it to.
08-26-2014, 07:09 AM   #25
UnXmas
Banned

My Support Groups:
∑ Stoma
Again I'm just rambling to myself really, but if anyone has anything to add, I'm open to hearing anything, especially to my last question at the bottom of the post.

Well at my GP appointment today I was prescribed some Forticreme Complete supplements. http://manage.nutricia.com/uploads/d...ndium_Page.pdf They're basically like puddings that you put in the fridge - they remind me of Soya puddings in texture, they're more solid than yoghurt, maybe more like French Set yoghurts. They're 200 calories each and contain all the vitamins, etc.

So perhaps that will take care of some of my snacks at least. Has anyone had these before, and have you tried mixing them with anything to make them more interesting? I know I read of people doing all sorts of things with Ensures - mixing them with ice cream, making them into smoothies, using them on cereal instead of milk and things like that. The Forticreme Complete didn't taste bad, but if anyone has some simple ideas of things to mix it up a bit, I'd like to hear them.

I'm finding plain biscuits are going down ok. I'm not sure if it's the plainness of them that's making them acceptable, as I've been trying to eat plain bread and butter, and bowls of cereal, and they've not been going down so well at all. Also I'm always thirsty, and drink a lot of full sugar coke - that should help put weight on, shouldn't it?

I've just started on prednisone. Last time I was on it, I didn't get the weight-gain side effect that many people report. I'm wondering if I might this time.

Another thing I've noticed, which I brought up, I think, on the stoma forum, but I'll put it here again in case anyone on this forum can help: I've noticed that when I get really full, is not when my stomach's full of food after I've eaten, necessarily, but it's when my stoma needs to empty some output. My stoma has always had a weird pattern of going long periods without anything coming out, this will go on maybe all day, and I'll be getting fuller and fuller and more and more uncomforable, then the bag will fill up very rapidly, maybe a couple of times in a row, and then I feel so much better. I'm not sure I quite fancy the idea of try laxatives with a stoma, but does anyone know if there are some foods that could help get things moving, so I can get it empty and get rid of the fullness feeling more quickly? I know hot drinks can stimulate the bowel, and when I've had stoma blockages I've used them to help get things moving. Any other ideas?
08-26-2014, 10:52 AM   #26
If*

Also I'm always thirsty, and drink a lot of full sugar coke - that should help put weight on, shouldn't it?
Have you found this to 'feel' bothersome? It is such a nightmare trying to find something that sits well. Complex carbs can be occasionally difficult to digest for some.

UnXmas, we have shared similar situations, I had seen you mentioned ileus, sends shivers up my spine. I totally understand this and what a frustrating complication. I wonder if that has also effected long term weight gain?

For some to understand a bit better they might want to take a peek at a bmi chart and see what their weight would be at the bmi mentioned. It is so unreal what a body can go through. The efforts made to survive spoken and unspoken are a huge milestone in this illness. I think it could be why I have a tendency to try and motivate others for nutrition even before they fall into a situation. Once in it, this feels like clawing your way slowly back up with obstacles along the way.The right combination is out there, we are just so individual. Input is valuable even though it may not apply to everyone but it might help just 1.

A side note: the hemp protein i mentioned if tried, is often best with a slow build up or it might cause discomfort. I found from experience.

You are doing amazing UnXmas ~ my best to you always.
08-26-2014, 01:00 PM   #27
UnXmas
Banned

My Support Groups:
∑ Stoma
I don't even know what the "feeling" is anymore. I think I mentioned, I've always been able to find some foods that feel right, beyond the fullness, sickness, etc., I'd have foods that tasted good and were comforting to eat. Not in the excruciating pain and sickness of ileus, but that was a short term thing. Then I was admitted to hospital and something changed. I'd assumed when I was home and eating what I want, when I want, I'd gravitate towards foods that felt ok again, but I just can't find any and everything sits wrong. I'm now even kind of suspecting my body is subconsciously trying to sabotage me or something - when I went into hospital I was so determined to keep my weight up regardless of my digestive problems, and now it's like a whole new level of difficulty (impossibility?) has come out of nowhere.

I think you're right that most people don't realise there's a difference between being underweight and really being underweight. If you google the Internet, all the advice for weigh gain seems to be aimed at people with maybe a bmi of 14, 15 or so, and a lot of it centres on elderly patients. My bmi was 10, I guess it's around 12 now I've gained a little. I guess one thing is that my body does seem to tolerate low weights awfully well. My doctors were not only shocked at how underweight I am, but at how healthy I am despite my weight. They were ok with discharging me, as I am medically fit. My heart rate's fast, due to medication, but they did all sorts of tests on it just in case, and it's healthy. My blood pressure's always ok, my blood sugar's always ok. I often have a temperature, but then there's inflammation in my digestive tract, so it may be related to that. They find it really hard to understand how I feel so hot all the time. Underweight people are supposed to feel cold.

I don't understand it, and I'm rambling again. I'm looking up the hemp protein now. Btw - some other supplements that were recommended to me were bee pollen and aloe vera, the former for providing energy and the latter for helping with digestion. I'm not generally one for supplements, I tend to just view a calorie as a calorie and if I can get them in the weight will go on. But that's not working anymore; I'm going to have to do some reevaluating.

Last edited by UnXmas; 08-26-2014 at 01:33 PM.
08-27-2014, 08:02 AM   #28
UnXmas
Banned

My Support Groups:
∑ Stoma
I'm trying to pinpoint the foods that I'm able to palate.

Coke (full sugar, so I think itís doing more good than harm, drinking about half a litre a day, so about 100 calories, if I remember correctly.)
I get so thirsty, partly from a dry mouth, partly from adding salt to food (need extra salt with an ileostomy), and partly just because Iím always thirsty! Sometimes this also translates into wanting ice cream after meals, just for the nice clean coolness of it, so certain flavours are going down ok Ė has to be strawberry or vanilla or something light, nothing choclately.

Sweets Ė I'm grazing on fruity sugary sweets all day, though only a few at a time.

Doughnut Ė really liked one, thought Iíd get some more, then didnít like the others much at all.

Plain biscuits and crackers Ė digestives, short bread, rich tea, theyíre all going down ok.

I had a peach the other day, as one of my fibre allowances. It tasted good, perhaps because itís been so long since Iíve had one. Iím almost tempted to try some high-fibre foods, as if the forbiddenness of them might make me want them. I still have one piece of fibrous food a day, so my craving (should I ever get one, I haven't had one lately) is satisfied for most things. But there are some things I never risk: Do you think if I ate sweetcorn, mushrooms, branflakes, nuts, and museli bars, Iíd enjoy them?!

And this thought also led me to the idea that I could try things simply on the basis that they are foods I never normally eat - the most obvious category being rich or stodgy stuff. It seems counterintuitive to go for something filling when Iím worried about being full, but Iím getting desperate! So maybe puff pastries, dumplings, rich cakes, rich chocolates. The doughnut would come in this category, which was a small success but short lived, since by the time I had another one the following day, it didn't feel right. I had a small beef burger which was at least ok, I canít say I enjoyed it much, but I wasnít repulsed. Red meat is something I hardly ever eat, and I also don't eat spicy food. I think I probably like the taste of rich foods, I've just for a very long time always avoided anything likely to fill me up. Trying these kinds of foods would not carry the risk that fibrous foods do. So I guess I could try a bit of a rich meaty pie, a Mars Bar, or a rich creamy slice of cake? It would have the calories at leastÖ but Iím not sure.
08-27-2014, 03:59 PM   #29
If*

Hi, i would say no to mushrooms, they can cause a blockage and are not worth the pain.

you have to get your appetite stimulated somehow. Usually it has to taste good, really good. What are your favorite foods? If not now from before. I know when i am in the spot of desperate weight gain the gloves have to come off and i go to what is going to help get my taste buds going first. CHOCOLATE can clean the palate and help stimulate the appetite to start. It helped me in the past then try the next thing that taste good. It may not be highly nutritious at first but it could get the ball rolling. Start small and build so it will most likely cause less pain/discomfort. Chew everything super well and be sure to get enough fluids.

i gain a little loose a little back and forth ~ it's like a crazy game!

keep trying ~ i will too
08-27-2014, 05:35 PM   #30
SmellyMelly

Coke full sugar, so I think itís doing more good than harm, drinking about half a litre a day, so about 100 calories, if I remember correctly.
Ohh at your peril!

There is nothing good about Coke - it will be harming you in many ways.

Coke will help you to:

1) Become more malnourished

2) Interfering with the absorption of nutrients

3) Causes vitamin and mineral depletion - which leads to many more health issues

4) Increase your insulin levels which can lead to diabetics.

5) Interfere with calcium absorption and help leech calcium from your bones - which can lead to osteoporosis down the track

6) Accelerates aging

The sugar-free versions are worse due to the chemical aspartame.

There is quite a few more negatives; would you like me to continue?

I will post back later with nutritious ideas about safely putting on weight.

Have you tried drinking any sort of protein shake? These can be used to build you back up nutritionally and weight wise.

Crohn's Disease Forum » Diet, Fitness, and Supplements » Nothing tastes good, don't want to end up back in hospital