• Welcome to Crohn's Forum, a support group for people with all forms of IBD. While this community is not a substitute for doctor's advice and we cannot treat or diagnose, we find being able to communicate with others who have IBD is invaluable as we navigate our struggles and celebrate our successes. We invite you to join us.

Hi, please help me as I'm a teen who needs help!

Hello my name is Rami from Lebanon . I'm 15 years old and I suffer from crohn's disease from 6 years and wouldn't see this forum as I feeling regretting what I did . In these 6 years , my disease stopped for 3 years than It came back . I was so happy in these 3 years gained my normal life again but it came back . So now I'm having steroids but doesn't have effect like prednizone did. But the thing that I regret is me starting smoking a month ago :( because of my friends encouraging me . Before I smoke I think the medications worked well because my poop was not liquid like now but the think is cigarettes got me have my appetite bigger but my poop is bad these days and I think of cigarettes but I really like them and I can't stop. Plus I'm taking pentasa additional for my poop plus I wanted to know are flare ups pain in the stomach? I need help from you guys on what to do plus I workout every day and I'm eating well but i'm loosing weight because of this disease . Please read my story :( and help what to do . Is someone here in this forum smoking while he has this disease? If yes please tell me how is it affecting . Thanks
P.S : I started smoking as well because of my aunt smoking while she has crohn's disease for 10 years and her case is worse than me she poops like 10 times a day , me it's 2-3 times.

Last edited:
Smoking can interact with your meds and reduce there effectiveness so you need to stop at the same time bland your diet out for a few weeks chicken,white rice,fish the boring but good stuff it can help.when I was diagnosed with crohns I was told that I wouldn't,t get any medication until I stopped smoking which was lucky for me as I don,t smoke.try pro-bionics some people say it helps didn't,t make any difference to me but there cheap and easy to get.

We were told by several doctors when my husband was diagnosed that smoking was one of the worst things he could do for his intestines that it would make the Crohn's worse. It took a while but he finally quit and there was improvement after quitting. We have no way of knowing if this helped but it certainly appeared to.

From: http://www.mayoclinic.org/diseases-conditions/crohns-disease/basics/risk-factors/con-20032061
Cigarette smoking. Cigarette smoking is the most important controllable risk factor for developing Crohn's disease. Smoking also leads to more severe disease and a greater risk of having surgery. If you smoke, it's important to stop.
The effects of smoking on the localisation and clinical course of Crohn's disease is evaluated in 231 patients. Heavy smokers (greater than 10 cigarettes/day) had an increased risk of operation at least once--odds ratios for heavy smokers compared with never smokers after five and 10 years were 1.14 and 1.24 respectively (p = 0.03 and p = 0.017). The risk of further operations was even higher and after 10 years the odds ratio was 1.79 (p = 0.015). The accumulated number of fistulae and/or abscesses was higher for smokers than for never smokers (p = 0.046). Patients with a high life time tobacco exposure (greater than 150 cigarette years) and heavy smokers (greater than 10 cigarettes/day) had small bowel disease more often than patients with lower life time exposure (less than or equal to 150 cigarette years) and patients smoking less than or equal to 10 cigarettes/day (p = 0.002 and p = 0.045 respectively). The course of Crohn's disease analysed in different ways was unfavourable for smokers, especially heavy smokers. Patients with Crohn's disease should be dissuaded from smoking.

Hi I am the same age as you and I also have Crohns. I really think that if you want to get better, you need to do everything you possibly can since you can't just cure Crohns. (I wish) Smoking is bad for the healthiest person out there so we can conclude that it's bad for us Crohnie's too. Also I am not trying to judge but if they were really your friends they wouldn't make you smoke. So all I can say is if you really want to do everything you possibly can, quitting smoking would be a good start. And a flare up is when you're having the symptoms of the condition. Stomach pain, bloody stools, vomiting, weight loss, inflammation of course, ulcers, etc. are all symptoms. Hang in there and remember your health is your #1 priority. Also feel free to talk to me anytime. Since we are the same age, we can relate to things I'm sure. You're not alone and things will get better eventually.

Thank you so much for the help but to reply to jmrogerrs i'm not a heavy smoker , it's just 2-3 cig/ day . And thank you Merinach for giving advice and to offer me help , but before I knew the danger of smoking on crohn's disease , my aunt was smoking so I thaught it has no magor danger on intestines , after I started I started researches on the internet for help . Thanks.