• Welcome to Crohn's Forum, a support group for people with all forms of IBD. While this community is not a substitute for doctor's advice and we cannot treat or diagnose, we find being able to communicate with others who have IBD is invaluable as we navigate our struggles and celebrate our successes. We invite you to join us.

New here, diagnosed with Crohn's 8 years ago.

Hello, I am 25, married and a stay at home mother if two. I'm also a college student currently an undergrad studying psychology.

I was diagnosed with Crohn's disease that effects my illium just before I turned 17. I would say overall my disease is mild. I do have multiple flares a year but have never required surgery or biologics. Typically a bad episode with vomiting and terrible pain will land me in the ER twice a year. They give me morphine and phenergan and send me on my way.

From about the age if 14 I have had a terrible burning nearly crippling pain in my stomach. Back then I was diagnosed with GERD and I have been on omperazole on and off ever since. It used to help but not anymore. Unfortunately, the drugs my GIs have always put me on, like Pentasa, make the burning much worse. I finally had an EGD recently and I was told I had very mild gastritis. Very mild doesn't even begin to describe the pain I have. I've given birth to two babies and labored for 16 hours with no epidural, induction both times, and was unfazed. I have a very high pain tolerance, as I'm sure the rest of you do, so if I complain, it's not mild. I changed GIs very recently because the last one ignored my complaints and insisted I keep taking Pentasa. My new GI has yet to see me and I've seen his assistant both times. She put me on lialda which has had the same effect on my gastric pain and hasn't even kept my Crohn's inflamation at bay.

Other medications I've been on are imuran, flagyl, entocort, and of course, prednisone. I've never really known what helped and what didn't because every GI just puts me on all of them at once. Prednisone is the worst, I can't handle to mood swings. I've been guilty of weaning myself of meds once I'm feeling well and just not taking them for long periods of time. As far as I know, my disease hasn't progressed since I was diagnosed so I guess I am very lucky.

On that note, I got very depressed last year from this burning pain and stopped taking all my meds. I went on a vegan diet and put myself into remission without them and stopped the burning gastric pain. I got pregnant a few months later with my second baby and went off the diet because i was so hungry!

I just had that baby in June and I had a mild flare within days of giving birth. I've been flaring once or twice every few weeks ever since and passed blood for the first time a couple days ago.

Hello Fefe. First of all.. Congratulations for your baby. If the medicines they are giving you are not working keep pressing the Doctor for something else. Maybe the disease has progressed from the last time you had your EGD. I hope you feel better soon.

hello there
crohns does usually strike in your late teens ( I was 19 ) but that was 38 years ago in my case I went through the usual problems , abdominal pain, surgery for serious bleeding ( almost snuffed it on a few occasions but thankfully if you lose a lot of blood your blood pressure drops and the leak gets a chance to seal though it is scarey when it happens) the only thing that has worked for me is Questran but that is due to Crohn's affecting the bile re-absorbtion part part of my digestive tract so it may not work for you

re GERD I have suffered from that for about the last 8 years, I dont know if this is crohns related or just old age, the best pallitive seems to be to eat slowly and drink tea between the first few mouthfulls of solid food, I do notice that meat, pork or beef causes the worst reaction and so have adopted a more vegetarian diet ( but not completely )

hope this is of some interest

regards Stevie

I changed GIs very recently because the last one ignored my complaints and insisted I keep taking Pentasa. My new GI has yet to see me and I've seen his assistant both times. She put me on lialda which has had the same effect on my gastric pain and hasn't even kept my Crohn's inflamation at bay.

Other medications I've been on are imuran, flagyl, entocort, and of course, prednisone. o.
Hi fefe. First, congratulations to your baby.

You did the right think changing your GIs. Your old one is decades behind modern medicine if he put you on Pentasa when you have Crohn's. For Crohn's Pentasa is not doing much better than a placebo.

Entocort and pred are short term inflammation treating cortisone drugs. They are used to help you immediately, but are not there to actually manage your crohn.

Imuran on the other hand, in the right dosage and taken over a long time, can help. Do you know how much mg per lb you were prescribed? It usually is 1-1.25mg per lb. Dosages below that are usually ineffective (azathioprine - imuran is the brand name - only works with an exact dosage). It is also important to take the drug regularly about the same time in the same manner.

What other ways do you manage your Crohn's? Do you do any sport? Have you got any vitamin or mineral deficiencies? Do you eat well and avoid foods that trigger problems?