Share Facebook
Crohn's Disease Forum » Books, Multimedia, Research & News » The Anti-inflammatory Effect of Vagus Nerve Stimulation (VNS): a New Approach in the Treatment of Crohn's Disease

09-01-2014, 12:26 PM   #1
Crohn2357

My Support Groups:
The Anti-inflammatory Effect of Vagus Nerve Stimulation (VNS): a New Approach in the Treatment of Crohn's Disease

The Anti-inflammatory Effect of Vagus Nerve Stimulation (VNS): a New Approach in the Treatment of Crohn's Disease

https://clinicaltrials.gov/ct2/show/...sease&rank=189
09-04-2014, 04:19 PM   #2
Crohn2357

My Support Groups:
Vagus nerve stimulation in Crohn's disease
https://www.ecco-ibd.eu/index.php/pu...s-disease.html
05-08-2015, 10:31 PM   #3
AJC - Australia

My Support Groups:
very interesting.
so many things happening out there in the science world - with crohns.
exciting!
02-20-2016, 08:37 AM   #4
xeridea

Okay, so this company, Nervana, has come out with headphones that send mild electrical pulses through their buds in your ear canal that stimulates your vagus nerve. Their intent is to induce euphoric feelings for the listener, sort of like a feeling of getting high. But if there is actually some anti-inflammatory effects, it might be something to try. Who doesn't like to listen to music?
02-20-2016, 09:54 AM   #5
my little penguin
Forum Monitor

My Support Groups:
The vagus nerve controls stomach emptying as well
When it gets damaged from duodenitis as part of crohns - Gastroparesis is the result
Hmmmmm
Might need to look into this more
Tagging maya142 as well
02-20-2016, 11:30 AM   #6
Maya142
Forum Monitor

Very cool! There was actually an article in the NY Times about this - they're using a small implant on people with RA as a treatment (since it has anti-inflammatory effects). Trials are very small right now but I think it's doing well.
Juvenile Ankylosing Spondylitis at 16

Mom of S (23)
dx with JIA at 14
Ankylosing Spondylitis at 18
02-22-2016, 03:41 PM   #7
Lady Organic
Forum Monitor

very interesting indeed. I had seen this trial before. I'd definately enroll in such a trial, I wouldnt mind having an implant. I have been doing meditation and relaxation in hope to have an impact on my vagus nerve.

Diet: ''IBD-AID'' : http://www.nutritionj.com/content/13/1/5+ organic food only
suppl Curcuminoid extract, Inulin,psyllium, apple pectin, Vitamin D

past meds:
pred 50mg, 5-ASA, cortifoam, Imuran (failed) Purinethol (success) methotrexate (failed CD and arthritis).
02-23-2016, 10:00 PM   #8
xeridea

Just a different narrative of the material already covered in the other articles in this thread.

http://mosaicscience.com/story/hacking-nervous-system
02-29-2016, 09:25 AM   #9
NiKo_V
Banned

Vegus Nerve Entrainment through brainwave meditation entrainment techniques and audio would perhaps be the most effective, natural and non-invasive delivery...

tribeed.academy may be of intrigue in this respect.

03-01-2016, 01:19 PM   #10
wildbill_52280

Just a excerpt from the study.
Recent data have shown that the anti-inflammatory properties of the vagus nerve also involve peripheral efferents via an interaction of acetylcholine with nicotinic receptors leading to an inhibition of TNF release by macrophages
I recall nicotine from tobacco interacts with these pathways, and I found a study of nicotine patches used to treat U.C. and it seemed to helped more patients reach remission.
03-02-2016, 09:41 AM   #11
xeridea

This company's vBlock product is an FDA approved Vagus Nerve stimulator, but for controlling obesity and other metabolic disorders. Having already approved devices on market will surely accelerate approval for new indications, such as RA or IBD, once those studies prove out.

Last edited by xeridea; 03-02-2016 at 10:14 AM.
03-04-2016, 12:39 AM   #12
Lady Organic
Forum Monitor

This company's vBlock product is an FDA approved Vagus Nerve stimulator, but for controlling obesity and other metabolic disorders. Having already approved devices on market will surely accelerate approval for new indications, such as RA or IBD, once those studies prove out.
wow, super interesting! thanks! Its coming for us I am positive!!!

Crohn's Disease Forum » Books, Multimedia, Research & News » The Anti-inflammatory Effect of Vagus Nerve Stimulation (VNS): a New Approach in the Treatment of Crohn's Disease