• Welcome to Crohn's Forum, a support group for people with all forms of IBD. While this community is not a substitute for doctor's advice and we cannot treat or diagnose, we find being able to communicate with others who have IBD is invaluable as we navigate our struggles and celebrate our successes. We invite you to join us.

Boost and Flare

Hey guys. I have been going through a medium flare for a while now, with pain in my lower right quadrant (the terminal ileum) and fatigue. So I was thinking of going liquid for a while and see if things calm down.

I found Boost in my supermarket and was wondering if it anyone has tried while flaring and if you can tolerate it well? The one I found was chocolate flavor.

I tolerate both Boost and Ensure when flaring. My GI said to have 3 per day to keep my nutrients up. Ensure is a little thicker than Boost. I like chocolate and vanilla in both brands. Both are better cold and shake them well before drinking.

Ive had both. I have had Carnation instant breakfast. You are probably better off with Ensure or Boost. I recommend Ensure. I havent had any problems with toleration, but my dr said if any problems try drinking it in thirds.

hope that helps.

Ensure is the main calorie source for me for the past two weeks. I have wildberry, vanilla, butter pecan, and chocolate.

I was being given 4-5 Ensure Plus a day for three days before release as I had lost 20 pounds this past month or two. That a lot for guy who only weights 160 lbs at the best of times. It really helps get my calorie count up above 2000 which is hard when all you can take is Pudding, jello and strained soups.

My wife found an in-store sale at Walmart this week and picked up several sixpacks of the stuff. I hope it works for you as well as it's been working for me. And yea I have to sip at it. if I chug it it gets backed up a bit. But 300 calories a bottle plus all those vitamins and minerals is irreplaceable when you cant eat much actual food.

I have been drinking unsure for the past couple weeks, loads of good stuff in there. I tolerate it well. I also bought some from walmart (good prices).

Hi guys. My doctor said that I can have the below drink in addition to my food so I can get more calories. She says it is better than Ensure as it has been developed for diseases like Crohn's. anyone tried this; It is called Fresubin:

http://www.fresenius-kabi.com/inter...tent/Product+Features+Fresubin+original+Drink

Fresubin® original Drink is ACBS approved and prescribable on FP10/GP10 for the following indications: short bowel syndrome, intractable malabsorption, pre-operative preparation of patients who are undernourished, patients with proven inflammatory bowel disease, following total gastrectomy, bowel fistulae, dysphagia, disease related malnutrition.