• Welcome to Crohn's Forum, a support group for people with all forms of IBD. While this community is not a substitute for doctor's advice and we cannot treat or diagnose, we find being able to communicate with others who have IBD is invaluable as we navigate our struggles and celebrate our successes. We invite you to join us.

Anyone else have issues (pre eclampsia ect)

I was seeing maternal fetal medicine in the hospital during my pregnancy, everything was going well until my last growth scan.

Turns out I became pre eclamptic (the placenta became toxic it came on so fast and became so bad that I had to be induced asap). It was also determined that my baby suffered in uterine growth restriction. She was 4 weeks early and weighed 3 lbs 7 ozs. Labor was a mess requiring an amnio infusion, a shot to stop contractions (her heart rate dropped every contraction) and so on. When she was born we found her cord was wrapped around her neck twice and her placenta had sectioned off making a satillite placenta. She was alsoIin the nicu for 9 days due to her size.

she's close to 5 weeks old now and is doing great but I was curious of those who have been pregnant with crohns or ibd if you've had any issues during pregnancy? What meds were you on and what issues did you have?

Lisa

Adminstrator
Staff member
Glad to hear you and she are doing better - I didn't have complications during my pregnancy, but did have a scheduled c-section due to active fistulas...

And now for the IMPORTANT STUFF - where are the pictures???

I'm not sure how to post pictures...

it was a messy labor and delivery. Not something I ever expected I'd have to go through. The worst was having her wheeled off to the nicu and not being allowed to see her for 24 hrs due to having to be on magnesium. All is well though. I'm amazed how much she's grown in the past 5 weeks. I'm just the one having issues lol

Lookame,
I am so sorry you had such a rough time. Preeclampsia happens and no one knows why. Though it is being studied. Chances are it had nothing to do with your Crohn's disease though that being said there are some theories that preeclampsia may develop due to a lack of certain nutrients in the body and it makes sense that people,with IBD may have absorption issues with absorbing certain nutrients. As far as I know though there are no studies which show a higher incidence of preeclampsia in people with IBD.
I am glad your baby made it here safely. Enjoy your little one and may you both have good health now and in the future!