Share Facebook
Crohn's Disease Forum » Treatment » Remicade/Infliximab » Will Remicade help with

09-05-2014, 04:47 PM   #1
WebJunk

Will Remicade help with

Going to start Remicade in the next few weeks. My medicine of last resort now.
Does anyone know if it will help not only with my Crohn's inflammation but my other issues?
My worst is Chronic Pleurisy & extreme Fatigue.

Thanks!
09-05-2014, 07:11 PM   #2
DJW
Forum Monitor

My Support Groups:
I'm also starting in a week or so. I really hope it helps with my fatigue.

Visit Crohn's and Colitis Canada:
http://www.crohnsandcolitis.ca/site/...tis_Canada.htm

Living in Ontario with no drug benefits?

Trillium Drug Program:
http://www.health.gov.on.ca/en/publi..._trillium.aspx

Dave
09-05-2014, 08:08 PM   #3
nogutsnoglory

My Support Groups:
It can help with fatigue if the reason is due to your body fighting and due to malabsorption. It can also make you feel weaker or have zero effect on fatigue positive or negative.
09-05-2014, 08:50 PM   #4
DJW
Forum Monitor

My Support Groups:
I'll let you know which category I fall into once I know lol
09-09-2014, 12:36 PM   #5
WebJunk

Anyone have any real experience?

My last med, Humira just added on to my list of side-issues so had to stop it. Cannot explain how that worsened my life as a whole, even if it somewhat reduced my inflammation. The side-effects were worse than my Crohn's disease.
Trying to debate whether to even begin Remicade.

Thanks for any input you can provide.
09-15-2014, 03:30 PM   #6
Melissadempsey728

My Support Groups:
Going to start Remicade in the next few weeks. My medicine of last resort now.
Does anyone know if it will help not only with my Crohn's inflammation but my other issues?
My worst is Chronic Pleurisy & extreme Fatigue.

Thanks!
Do you have a date for your first appointment, or are you still debating? I'm starting my first remicade infusion next Tuesday the 23rd, my dr is very optimistic, so I'm really excited to be honest lol, almost like a kid before christmas.

I don't have pleurisy, but I do get fatigue, and I do have fatigue, but I wouldn't say it is chronic. I will let you know if the remicade helps me with that.

Last edited by Melissadempsey728; 09-15-2014 at 03:47 PM. Reason: forgot to add something
09-15-2014, 03:53 PM   #7
WebJunk

My infusion start is on hold. That is why I was asking the question.
Since I have had different opinions on what is going on with my other symptoms (Pleurisy and fatigue) they want me to wait until that is figured out in case it is an infection or something that could become worse from the Remicade. I have doubts they will figure it out anytime soon. If the Remicade would help with these issues then I would just start it. Then again, if it will make these worse like the Humira did, then I would see if the witch doctors can figure it out or just stop the treatments totally.
My quality of life has been pretty much non-existent for many months.
09-23-2014, 04:21 PM   #8
Melissadempsey728

My Support Groups:
Hi bloke, I just posted this in another thread but I'm going to post it here and add in some info relating to your situation.... Okay so I just got done with my first infusion, they premedicated me with Benadryl, decadron, and Tylenol, which all made me sleepy and kind of slump, but I didn't fall asleep. I probably could have if I didn't have such a chatty guy next to me. Anyways, when they started the remicade I didn't feel anything, so they increased the speed of the drip. Once it got up to 150 they checked my vitals, and my blood pressure had dropped slightly from when I first got there (they said from benadryl most likely) but everything was good, so then they bumped me to the maximum speed of 250, and things were still fine. At the very end when there was only a few drips left I got a sudden sharp burning pain on the side of my arm where the iv was, there was no visible hematoma, redness, or excessive swelling, so she ended up disconnecting it after and skipping the flushing of the tube and I was fine after that. When it was time to leave I noticed my legs felt a little weak, I don't think it was from sitting because I have to do that at my job for hours frequently. I was there from 11-4, so 5 hours altogether. Right now I feel tired and achy, but my symptoms don't feel any different. The nurse said most notice a difference right around their next infusion at two weeks.

So bloke I feel very tired and fatigued right now but I'll post back and update you as I notice changes, whether things are better or worse fatigue wise. Have you made any decisions yet?
09-23-2014, 11:25 PM   #9
Justanothercp

My Support Groups:
I've heard many people mention being fatigued due to pre-medicating with Benadryl. I had this issue, but they ok'ed me to take 10mg of Loratadine instead, which doesn't make you sleepy.
Just a thought....
09-24-2014, 07:51 AM   #10
Melissadempsey728

My Support Groups:
I've heard many people mention being fatigued due to pre-medicating with Benadryl. I had this issue, but they ok'ed me to take 10mg of Loratadine instead, which doesn't make you sleepy.
Just a thought....
Good to know, thanks! Weirdly even though I was drowsy during the day, I couldn't sleep when. I got home because I have a three year old, but then I wasn't tires and had trouble falling asleep, I finally passed out around 2 am, woke up at 8 am and normally I would be exhausted but. Full of energy, weird, must be the remicade
11-11-2014, 09:57 PM   #11
Suby55

WebJunk, I too had pleurisy issues and some odd chest and back pain episodes when I was on Humira. I am now on Remicade. While I still suffer from some recurring side effects or afflictions from my lowered immunity, I have not had the pleurisy and chest pain attacks. I have not had any problems in 10 months of Remicade from the treatments themselves but I have recurring upper respiratory infections (tonsillitis, ear infection, sinusitis). Then the antibiotics my Docs put me on cause other issues. Hopefully the Remicade is keeping the active ulcerations and inflammation in check so I won't need surgery.

Crohn's Disease Forum » Treatment » Remicade/Infliximab » Will Remicade help with