Share Facebook
Crohn's Disease Forum » Parents of Kids with IBD » My girl...not yet dx

09-05-2014, 07:14 PM   #1
tlabruyere

My girl...not yet dx

My daughter is 14. We just had a ER visit that was thought to be appendix but ended with two drs telling us that her ileum was patulous ( not sure what this meant...they also said inflamed and called it ileitis)which was usually associated with Crohns and we needed a referral to GI for a colonoscopy.Sent us home with paperwork about crohns and meds for crohns. Now this was never what I thought was even close to being the problem. Then I started thinking of last year when I took her to dr because she was bleeding from rectum. Dr said she probably irritated and torn her intestines lining. No test was done. Was told to take miralax. Then about 6 months later she was hurting in lower right side of belly. CT showed severely constipated. 2enemas and lots of miralax. She also recently has a hurting throat and had four ulcers in mouth during this time.

Besides all this her blood work showed a few things

MCV low
MCH low
Rdw high
Segs. High
Lymph. L o w
Monos high
Albumin. High
KETONES. A....NOT SURE

RbC high

Anyone have similar findings with their child? I been very worried.
09-05-2014, 07:19 PM   #2
Catherine

My Support Groups:
Welcome to the parents forum.

There are parents here that will relate to the constipation issues.

I'm off for day but expect more parents to be long shortly.

You may want to ask what to expect from the GI appointment on Wednesday.

This is the most difficult time. Eg not knowing.
Small bowel to small bowel fistula

Meds: ), azathioprine 200mg, Mesalazine 1.2g x 2, seretide 250 x 2 (asthma), ventolin (as needed)

Currently no supplements.

Has previously taken Multi B, Caltrate, B12 & Iron

Prednisolone (from 30 mg 01/02/2012 to 17/06/2012, 30mg 24/10/12-28/12/12, 50mg 24/1/13-27/4/13)
09-06-2014, 01:43 PM   #3
CrohnsKidMom

My Support Groups:
Welcome to the forum, but sorry to hear about your daughter's dx. My 9yo son was dx'd in Mar '13. He had abdominal pain (worsening after eating), fatigue, daily fevers, mouth ulcers, was starting to lose weight, was anemic, and chronically constipated (although that was "normal" for him). It's a shock to hear of the dx, but a dx is good so that treatment can get started and your daughter can start feeling better. My son's Crohn's is in his small intestine, which was causing malabsorption issues and constipation. He had some bleeding when he would have a BM, but that was because of an anal fissure that developed due to straining. Ask lots of questions of the GI, do lots of reading (but don't overwhelm yourself), and visit this forum often for support and info. It's been a great help to me. I hope your daughter feels better soon!
09-06-2014, 09:41 PM   #4
kimmidwife
Forum Monitor

Welcome to the forum! Sorry you had to find us but glad you did! Keep us posted and let us know how things go.

Crohn's Dx'ed Sept 08
Allerg Imuran Sept 08
Fail Remicade Jan 09
Methotrex Oct 09-Aug 11
Pentasa stopped - nosebleeds
EENOct 31 - Nov 28th. Too hard!
Retried Remicade Dec 11
Stopped due 2 Anaphylactic Reaction
LDN Jan 2012-June 2014 Got My daughter back!
New secondary diagnosis: Gastroporesis Dec 2013
Lost remission June 2014
Started Entyvio April 2015. Decreased to every 4 weeks October 2015. Praying for remission.

Crohn's Disease Forum » Parents of Kids with IBD » My girl...not yet dx