• Welcome to Crohn's Forum, a support group for people with all forms of IBD. While this community is not a substitute for doctor's advice and we cannot treat or diagnose, we find being able to communicate with others who have IBD is invaluable as we navigate our struggles and celebrate our successes. We invite you to join us.

Sharing some of my recipes :)

I like to cook, and of course, like to eat. After developing Crohn's, I also developed lactose intolerance (boo hoo!). It was really difficult giving up dairy (being a huge fan of ice-cream), although I can, on occasion, stomach a little of it here and there (a sliced of aged cheese, for example), but I try to stick to a dairy-free and otherwise low-residue diet, although I'm still learning.

I just thought I'd share a few recipes that I've concocted that seem pretty safe for us to eat, although everyone is different. These things don't seem to bother me, so perhaps they'd work for others as well ;) Keep in mind I am not following the SCD, and I'm not super informed about it to begin with, so these recipes probaby don't apply to that.

Baked Salmon

You'll need:

- Salmon fillet (no bones, but skin on is fine, if you like)
- Pepper (freshly cracked is always more potent, but use whichever you have)
- Seasoning salt (also called seasoned salt)
- Extra virgin olive oil

Directions: Thaw and clean fish, if needed. Pat off extra moisture from fish with a paper towel. Drizzle with oil, and rub to coat the surface of the fish. Then sprinkle with seasoning salt and pepper to taste. Seal in a foil pouch, place on a cookie sheet, and bake at 375 until cooked through- will flake easily with fork. Cooking times depend on the size/thickness of your fish.

Serving suggestions: I like to eat this with seasoned potatoes, or white rice with soy sauce :)

Chicken Soup

Who doesn't love soup?? It's usually easy to digest, very nourishing, and not only comforts the body, but the soul as well! I made this soup last night while playing around in the kitchen, and I really like it ;)

You'll need:

- 4 chicken thighs
- 2 tsps poultry seasoning
- 1 tsp celery salt
- 2 tsps italian seasoning
- 2 whole carrots, diced
- 3 whole celery stalks, diced
- 1/2 large onion, diced
- 1 tsp freshly cracked black pepper
- 2 tsp dried parsley flakes
- 2 14 oz cans chicken broth
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 2 chicken bouillon cubes

Directions: Place chicken in large pot with just enough water to cover. Add the poultry seasoning, salt, and half of the other seasonings (half of the amount of parsley, half the amount of italian seasoning, etc), reserving the other half of the seasonings to be added later. Bring to boil (don't cover with lid), then reduce heat and simmer for 30-45 minutes, or until the chicken is cooked through.

Remove chicken from pot when done, and set aside to cool. Skim fat from the broth. Add the veggies and canned chicken broth and remainder of the seasonings, plus the chicken bouillon. Bring to boil again, then reduce heat (again, don't cover with lid) and simmer for 20-30 minutes, or until all veggies are tender. Meanwhile, remove bones and skin and any remaining fat from the chicken, and dice or tear into small pieces. Add chicken back to soup and heat through.

I found this to be very yummy! I wanted to also add in parsnips and leeks, but they were out at the grocery store. You can also add potatoes, rice, or noodles, if you like. :)

Zesty Pork Chops with carrots

You'll need:

- Boneless chops
- carrots, diced, or baby/small carrots
- 3/4 cup bbq sauce
- 3/4 cups italian dressing
- 2 tbs honey mustard

Directions: Combine bbq sauce, dressing, and mustard to form a marinade. Coat chops with some of the marinade and allow to marinate for 15-20 minutes. In a pan on stove top, over low heat, brown chops on each side. Add remaining marinade and carrots (add a little water if the sauce is too thick). Bring to a bubble, then reduce heat, cover, and allow to cook until carrots are tender and chops are cooked through.

Even my picky 14 year old nephew liked this, carrots and all!

Simple seasoned potatoes

You'll need:

- 1 large all-purpose potato, washed and pricked
- freshly cracked black pepper (or whatever you have)
- seasoning salt
- Parkay Squeezable (for those that done know, this is with the butter, and tastes a lot like butter, but does not contain dairy)

Directions: Microwave potato until done (time will depend on size of potato). Allow to cool, then remove peel. Dice potato into chunks, drizzle on parkay, and sprinkle with pepper and seasoning salt to taste. Reheat if needed.

Chicken and Rice

This is my ultra-safety food for when I'm really having trouble.

You'll need:

- cups white rice
- enough chicken stock or broth to make the rice (amount will vary a bit, depending on how you cook your rice)
- minced onion, to taste
- minced garlic, to taste
- sprinkle of basil, thyme, salt, and black pepper to taste
- 1 cup cooked, diced chicken

Directions: Cook rice according to package, using broth or stock in place of water, and adding in seasonings, garlic, onion, and chicken. Pretty easy, especially with a rice cooker!

I have quite a few more, but don't have the recipes handy right now. I hope to share more in the near future! Sorry I don't always give exacts with cooking time and such, but I try. Feel free to ask questions, though :)

Hi Rose.
I don't eat meat, but I eat fish now, and we do salmon exactly the way you describe. Very nice. We also have it with hollandaise sauce, goes really well (sauce out of a packet is good enough for us, we don't make it fresh)

I prepare my salmon in exactly the same way as above, but prefer to grill (broil) the fish. Also serve it with rice or potatoes and salad - but most of the time make my own fish sauce and serve with noodles. Yummmmmy! :)

MMO services industry

aiongoldsale.com is the professional store for Aion Kina, Aion Power Leveling, and Aion Accounts that you'll ever need to bookmark. Aion is still upcoming, so now is the time to choose the correct Aion Store for you and make sure you get the best deals and service. We have been in the MMO services industry professionally for years and pride ourselves in the number 1 priority - high quality service. Our definitions of high quality service are:
  • Fast, but professional and no-hassle delivery
  • Fully trained staff
  • Accessible and professional website
  • No small-print

Rose- I can't wait to try all of these recipes! They all sound so good and Crohns friendly! I have been looking for a good easy chicken soup recipe. Thank you for posting!