Share Facebook
Crohn's Disease Forum » General IBD Discussion » What is a stool culture/analysis test?

09-17-2014, 04:34 PM   #1
RickUK

My Support Groups:
What is a stool culture/analysis test?

Had a letter today off my GP confirming my upcoming tests. In the letter he says about my faecal calprotectin being raised at 742. But also says my stool culture and stool analysis were normal?

So I am now wondering whether the calprotectin was a false reading, or whether the culture and analysis test being normal just rules out bacteria and/or infection being the reason for calpro being raised?

(I did give in 2 stool samples, 1 for inflammation check, and 1 for infection check)

Thanks in advance
09-17-2014, 05:04 PM   #2
valleysangel92

My Support Groups:
I would guess that they mean the bacteria/ infection check was normal rather than the fecal cal being a false reading. It could also mean they didn't find any blood. If you're unsure can you call and speak to your GP or a nurse and ask for more of an explanation? I know at my GP I can call the treatment suite side where they do all the blood tests etc and ask them to explain test results over the phone.

Nicola
coeliac disease/Osteopenia /Crohns/Arthritis/
laperoscopic hemicolectomy 25/06/ 2013

Meds- Vedolizumab, sulfasalazine, Lansoprazole, Vitamin D, prochlorperazine, Oramorph, MST, B12 shots My journey with crohns: http://glutenfreecookiemonster.wordpress.com/

Allergic to - inflectra, aza

Non CD meds - Gabapentin, paracetamol, ventolin
09-17-2014, 05:07 PM   #3
RickUK

My Support Groups:
I would guess that they mean the bacteria/ infection check was normal rather than the fecal cal being a false reading. It could also mean they didn't find any blood. If you're unsure can you call and speak to your GP or a nurse and ask for more of an explanation? I know at my GP I can call the treatment suite side where they do all the blood tests etc and ask them to explain test results over the phone.
Thanks, Yeh may give my GP a ring. I asked about the Fecal occult blood test when I gave stool sample in and they said they don't do it now... puzzled me.
09-17-2014, 05:10 PM   #4
valleysangel92

My Support Groups:
Hm. That's strange, I'm sure I've heard my GI mention it recently. Maybe only hospitals can order it now or something.

If your GP is no good maybe try your IBD nurse, I've only recently had access to mine and she's been a real asset!
09-17-2014, 05:17 PM   #5
RickUK

My Support Groups:
Hm. That's strange, I'm sure I've heard my GI mention it recently. Maybe only hospitals can order it now or something.

If your GP is no good maybe try your IBD nurse, I've only recently had access to mine and she's been a real asset!
Thanks ill definitely try. It is strange I agree.
09-18-2014, 02:01 PM   #6
littlemissh

My Support Groups:
Culture and analysis is for infection and quite different to the calprotectin test.

Occult blood tests are really a screening tool (done when you have no symptoms) and not generally done for investigation of possible IBD. Investigation for IBD are the ones you have had and bloods, scopes and various imaging studies e.g. MRI, barium studies, pill cam etc

On Humira every 7 days, intermittent iv iron, regular blood transfusions :faint:
On TPN since March 2016.

Crohn's Disease Forum » General IBD Discussion » What is a stool culture/analysis test?