• Welcome to Crohn's Forum, a support group for people with all forms of IBD. While this community is not a substitute for doctor's advice and we cannot treat or diagnose, we find being able to communicate with others who have IBD is invaluable as we navigate our struggles and celebrate our successes. We invite you to join us.

MRE update

Hi all...first things first. THANK YOU (as always) for all your replies/answers/suggestions. I don't know what I'd do without this support!

Grayson went for his MRE yesterday. He was only able to drink one of the three bottles of barium because he felt so bloated. We had his GI paged and his GI spoke with the radiologist and they did the MRE anyway. Hopefully we'll know soon if his abscess has gone down from the antibiotics at all. I guess he's also looking at the other 20 or so feet of intestine that can't be seen with endoscopy/colonoscopy so that Grayson can start Remicade soon. Fingers crossed! Lastly, I wanted to ask about diarrhea/constipation after barium. Most of you said that your kids had diarrhea but Grayson hasn't been able to go to the bathroom. He's not constipated, just gassy he says. Of course, my thoughts go right to my sister when she drank the barium for the upper GI and it hardened in her stomach! The radiologist assured me that it's a different barium and I also have to remember he only drank one bottle. I was telling my neighbor, I feel like I'm held together with tape and string and I just don't know when I'll unravel! Does this roller coaster EVER get easier?!

That's a good question. If the disease wasn't so shifty, maybe you could get used to it, but it is ever changing.

May the imaging results be better than you hope!

Maya142

Staff member
Just make sure he drinks a lot of water! My daughter was on Miralax then and we were told to increase the dose for a few days (but this was with the barium for a small bowel follow through).

Hope the MRE is helpful. Hang in there!

Yes, lots of water. My son was only able to get one bottle down for his MRE and it was enough to get clear pictures. Hope it's the same for you.