Share Facebook
Crohn's Disease Forum » Parents of Kids with IBD » Lab Results - MCHC & Albumin

09-19-2014, 02:18 PM   #1
Mehita
Forum Monitor

My Support Groups:
Lab Results - MCHC & Albumin

Sitting at DS's Remicade infusion right now. They run labs every time we're here. Today's blips are albumin and MCHC. His MCHC was 36.5 which is the top of the normal range (31.5-36.5) and Albumin was low at 3.6, bottom of normal range is 3.9. Everything else looked good.

From what I can tell, the common denominator between albumin and MCHC is the liver. Any thoughts?

I'm not freaking out or anything. He's been doing great. My only concern is he hasn't grown since July and his alkaline phosphatase reflects this. With school in session now he's eating a lot less so I'm not surprised things have slowed down (wish they wouldn't though!).

I so regret not going to medical school. Wish I had so I can understand basic lab reports!
- Multivitamins, Probiotics, Vit D
- Small bowel resection, Jan 2013
09-19-2014, 02:40 PM   #2
Jmrogers4

Sorry no advice, hope it's nothing. Agree on the medical school, they have a medical terminology class here at the high school, I almost wish I could take it.

Mom to Jack (18) dx Crohn's 2/2010
Vitamin D -2000mg
Remicade - started 1/9/14; 7.5ml/kg every 6 weeks
Centrum for Him teen multivitamin
Past meds: Imuran/Azathioprine; allopurinol; methotrexate; LDN; Prednisone; Apriso; Pentasa; EEN

Husband dx Crohn's 3/1993
currently none due to liver issues
09-19-2014, 02:48 PM   #3
baistuff

My Support Groups:
MCHC stands for mean corpuscular hemoglobin concentration. In a nutshell it's hemoglobin divided by hematrocrit. Most of the times it is elevated it's due to hemolysis (destruction of red blood cells)- Sickle cell disease, spherocytosis etc...

If the hemoglobin is normal I would ignore it. It's pretty meaningless. It also has nothing to do albumin or synthetic function of the liver.
09-19-2014, 03:03 PM   #4
Mehita
Forum Monitor

My Support Groups:
Thanks, baistuff! Hemoglobin is smack dab in the middle of normal.

Crohn's Disease Forum » Parents of Kids with IBD » Lab Results - MCHC & Albumin