• Welcome to Crohn's Forum, a support group for people with all forms of IBD. While this community is not a substitute for doctor's advice and we cannot treat or diagnose, we find being able to communicate with others who have IBD is invaluable as we navigate our struggles and celebrate our successes. We invite you to join us.

Allergic reaction to Remicade.

I started Remicade in the hospital wtwo months after my diagnosis of Crohns. It made me feel better but my Colon was toxic and I couldn't save it. But the second dose of Remicade i got i had a mild reaction. My face looked like I ate a poison ivy salad, I got itchy everywhere, and i had some insanely crazy back pain. But i told my doctor and he had me stay on it. Then my next infusion went smooth as can be. But last week i got another dose, or part of it, and i had a horrible reaction. My throat was closing my face turned red as a tomatoe and i had the back pain again. Im not going to take anymore but i dont even think i need a biological medication. I figured if i dont have a Colon why would i need Remicade?

Something similar just started happening to me. I got my infusion several days ago and yesterday I woke up and my entire arm was rashed out. I'm not sure if it's possible to develop an allergy later on because I've been on Remicade for a little over a year and a half but my past few have resulted in this crazy itching.

If this is anything like my reaction, you will have a rash that pops up allover and disapears. For the following two weeks. I constantly had an itch allover my body. I had to use superhuman willpower to not scratch. Sometimes at night i would scratch without thinking and kept getting blood everywhere.

Kev

If you have been diagnosed with Crohns disease, and not just Crohns colitis, you still need a medication to keep the disease in check. They took out your colon not to try to cure you of Crohns, but because it was toxic. Leaky gut syndrome. The bacteria inside it was leaking through it... poisoning you. I came very close to the exact same scenario just this past June.

Now, your doctors ARE aware (correct?) that you are having reactions to the Remicade? Yet they are keeping you on it. I'm guessing the reason for that is they believe the risk is outweighed by the benefits. One of the known issues with Remicade is that, if you come off it for any length of time, you will probably develop anti-bodies that make going back on it not practical. So, turning your back on Remicade unless you absolutely have to is usually a once only decision. It would be unlikely that you could ever change your mind.

Seems to me you need to discuss with your doctor what your options are... what other meds you might turn to... if your reaction to the Remicade worsens, or it stops working.