Share Facebook
Crohn's Disease Forum » Tests for IBD » Blood Tests » Blood test after injection

10-01-2014, 09:38 AM   #1
nogutsnoglory

My Support Groups:
Blood test after injection

I always wondered if a blood test after an injection is ok or are they potentially taking out your blood with whatever vaccine or injection you took?
10-02-2014, 04:29 PM   #2
DustyKat
Super Moderator

Vaccines and most injections are given IMI (intramuscularly) or SC (subcutaneously), so into muscle or into the layer under the skin. Doing so provides a particular method of release for the substance injected. SC is slower release compared to IMI which is in turn slower than than IV. In the case of a vaccine it designed to provoke a localised response which then stimulates the immune system.

There would be no issue with having blood drawn following a vaccine or injection ngng.

If on the other hand you were having say a Remicade infusion, you would insert the cannula and take blood first then proceed with the infusion. You wouldn’t draw blood from the vein/cannula in which you are infusing a medication.

Dusty.
10-02-2014, 05:10 PM   #3
nogutsnoglory

My Support Groups:
Thanks Dusty. I had a vaccine and bloods taken soon after and got a little paranoid. Glad that there isn't anything to worry about.

Crohn's Disease Forum » Tests for IBD » Blood Tests » Blood test after injection