Share Facebook
Crohn's Disease Forum » Surgery » Fistulas, Fissures and Abscesses » Could an anoscopy miss an abscess?

10-01-2014, 06:35 PM   #1
volans

Could an anoscopy miss an abscess?

I'll give you some quick backstory.

Last Christmas I had some lower back pain and my doctor prescribed me a weeks worth of 1000mg Cipro. My digestive tract went nuts from it (huge stools + diarrhea) and my bowel movements felt like burning. Shortly after the rectal area felt sore/swollen, sitting down became extremely uncomfortable.

In April I got a colonoscopy done and the only thing the doctor found was a minor fissure. I thought for sure that's what was causing the rectal pain. Well last week I finally saw a surgeon and she used an anoscope to diagnose the area and to my surprise she said everything was fine. A minor hemmorhoid that she didn't seem worried about and NO fissure.

So now i'm left thinking, where is this soreness coming from? I haven't been able to sit down for the past 10 months! I start poking the surroundings of the anus in a circular motion and i come across a very small area right next to the anus which is very sore. If I even slightly poke/put pressure on it the pain is much worse.

What do I do about this? Should I pursue it further even though the doctor got an up close look from an anoscopy? I've even had a CT scan with nothing showing up. But this feels so much like an abscess I can't let it go.

(I should also mention I had a burst abscess about 7 years ago that I never saw a doctor for. The puss came flowing out of my anus for 24 hours and since the pain disappeared I was ecstatic and just left it at that. I'm wondering if leaving it untreated meant bad news for the future)
10-09-2014, 01:56 PM   #2
matty

Hi, myself I also am feeling some pain by anal opening but can not feel any lump. Was given Cipro but scared to take it. How is your pain now.
10-20-2014, 12:00 AM   #3
Pyemae

Hi Volans,
Yes, an abscess can be missed by both a scope and CT scan. I have experience of this.
Antibiotics can/should help.
If you are experiencing pain that is untreated, and you suspect something is not quite right, I strongly suggest you get a 2nd or 3rd opinion until you are satisfied that the pain is being dealt with.
hope this helps...
10-20-2014, 10:37 AM   #4
Sailorluna
Forum Monitor

My Support Groups:
When was your CT? Maybe a repeat of it or an MRI is in order? I have a lot of faith in my surgeon, but if you are not confident in what you are having a second opinion is the way to go.

Symptoms since 98
Resection and diagnosis June 2010
3 fistulas
abscess drained 6 times (so far...)
currently 2 seton in place 1 since 9/11 the other 4/14
1 strange small air pocket with an 8 cm sinus track leading into the great unknown
methotrexate weekly
folic acid
2 lomotil
2 Welchol
B12 injections (monthly)
Remicade

_____
Goodbye Humira
Goodbye Cimzia
Goodbye Azathiprine
10-20-2014, 11:22 AM   #5
nogutsnoglory

My Support Groups:
I think it can miss an abscess if it's deep or in the butt cheek. MRI & CT is best for this but it's a pain to do those.

Crohn's Disease Forum » Surgery » Fistulas, Fissures and Abscesses » Could an anoscopy miss an abscess?