• Welcome to Crohn's Forum, a support group for people with all forms of IBD. While this community is not a substitute for doctor's advice and we cannot treat or diagnose, we find being able to communicate with others who have IBD is invaluable as we navigate our struggles and celebrate our successes. We invite you to join us.

Could this be a fistula/abscess?

Ok, I'm three days before surgery (resection) now and I notice that I've developed what looks like a little red pimple right next to my belly button, I think exactly where the incision has to be made. I've never had a pimple in that spot before and I don't really get pimples on my abdomen. I've been trying to keep it clean and I swab it with tea tree oil, but now it feels itchy and the area around it looks a little pink and it feels itchy. Could this be the start of an abscess or fistula? I'm worried that even if it's an infected pimple that it could complicate my surgery since it is right along where the insicion should be. Thoughts?

Last edited:

DJW

Forum Monitor
From my personal experience, they are usually quite painful regardless of how small they are.

I hope yours is nothing serious.

This thing is just itchy and it's getting quite pink. I also have a fever of 101! I talked with the oncall surgeon and he said that if I have an infection right next to my belly button they might have to move the surgery. I hope this isn't the case because my stricture makes life unbearable on a daily basis and I want it removed as soon as possible :(

DustyKat

Super Moderator
Could it be an insect bite?

But I see you now have a fever and that does complicate things. :(

Have you had issues with fistula’s and abscesses before?

I don't think it's a bite. It's more like an infected pimple. It's right where the surgeon has to cut.... So weird! I do have fistulas but they are internal, connecting the intestines together. I've never had one form on the outside of my skin before. Whatever it is, I just hope it goes away and the fever breaks for the surgery!

DustyKat

Super Moderator
Okay, I was wondering if you have fistulising disease. Since you already have intra abdominal fistula’s then it is possible you may have developed an enterocutaneous fistula or perhaps a stand alone abscess. :(

I surely hope this isn’t the case tzvia :ghug: and whatever it is soon passes and your surgery goes ahead. Good Luck! :heart:

Dusty. xxx

So I went in for a quick visit with the surgeon to show her the infection. She gave me antibiotics and said we should still do the surgery tommorrow. She said it could be just some sort of dermatitis or it could be fistula forming and she'll be able to tell more when she cuts. I'm scared about how the wound will heal if it's already infected, but I don't want to wait any longer for the surgery either. I'm gonna try to attach a photo of this belly button thing .... It looks more red today

Attachments

It turned out (so far) to be just a dermatitis. I did have the surgery and she ended up cutting on the opposite side if my belly button then from the skin infection