Share Facebook
Crohn's Disease Forum » Treatment » Remicade/Infliximab » NHS Infliximab use for Colitis under threat (NICE)

10-05-2014, 04:08 PM   #1
Grant

My Support Groups:
NHS Infliximab use for Colitis under threat (NICE)

I've had an email through from NACC today.
"In the draft guidance, NICE does not consider these treatments to be a cost-effective use of NHS resources. - See more at:
http://www.crohnsandcolitis.org.uk/w...5I87GJ,ACBNK,1

think its well worth anyone whose had some degree of success with Infliximab to let NICE know here.
http://www.nice.org.uk/guidance/inde...7/consultation.

Although it doesn't necessarily mention CD I would suggest if they stop using it for Colitis then the next stop will be probably be a stoppage on using it for CD.
Rgds
Grant
2002 Laperotomy & Resection
2010 Laproscopic Ileocolic Resection
2012 Laproscopic Laperotomy & Resection
2013 diagnosed with a Fistula
Been on Azathioprine Pred & Methotrexate
Currently on:
Inflectra
Questran
Loperamide
Calcichew
Pentasa 4gm daily
Daily Multi Vitamins
3mthly B12 Jabs
10-05-2014, 05:02 PM   #2
rygon

My Support Groups:
Sounds rubbish if they do stop it.

Both links do not work for me though

looks like this is the 1st link you wanted http://www.crohnsandcolitis.org.uk/w...-and-golimumab
10-05-2014, 05:35 PM   #3
valleysangel92

My Support Groups:
I've heard about this. It's terrible. There is a petition to try and stop it.

If it does happen then it'll be a real blow to people with UC, but I'm not sure that they would then extend it to crohns..

I say that because the government is really money driven at the moment. So to them, using a treatment that costs anywhere from 1000+ per dose for a condition that could be dealt with in surgery doesn't add up. With UC, surgery can be used to remove the entire colon, and therefor remove the need for expensive medications and recurring hospitalisations.

On a moral and personal level, I completely disagree with that way of thinking. Infliximab can really improve the quality of life of patients and can even address the joint pain for some UC sufferers, whereas some people still get joint problems and severe fatigue even after surgery. If the rectum is removed then surgery is permanent, which is a huge thing. I am fully aware that many people who have stomas are living full, happy lives and wouldn't go back, but I don't think that people should be denied the option of medication just because the surgical option is there.

The reason I don't think they'd do the same with crohns is that it doesn't work out as the same cost effectiveness. With crohns, it doesn't matter how many surgeries you have, you will still have crohns that needs monitoring with expensive tests, treatment with expensive medications and possibly recurrent hospitalisations and surgeries. In terms of crohns, it actually makes more monetary sense to use Infliximab because it's shown to reduce the risk of relapsing after surgery, and when used in young patients it's been shown that it can change the course of the disease somewhat and therefore reduce the risk of future surgery.

Either way, it's a horrible thing to see, it's sad that we have these treatments available but that they can only be accessed in exceptional circumstances.

Nicola
coeliac disease/Osteopenia /Crohns/Arthritis/
laperoscopic hemicolectomy 25/06/ 2013

Meds- Vedolizumab, sulfasalazine, Lansoprazole, Vitamin D, prochlorperazine, Oramorph, MST, B12 shots My journey with crohns: http://glutenfreecookiemonster.wordpress.com/

Allergic to - inflectra, aza

Non CD meds - Gabapentin, paracetamol, ventolin
10-06-2014, 03:16 AM   #4
Grant

My Support Groups:
Hi valleysange 192, I dont trust this Govt @ all whatsoever.They're privatizing parts of the NHS & we all know that privatization puts profit before anything. For Cameron to stand there last week going on about how the Conservatives are the party for the NHS is like some sick joke to me.
I'm convinced that if they knock it on the head for Colitis then eventually they'll do the same for Crohns.
You raise a very good point ref the cost of keeping Crohns @ bay against the costs of multiple surgeries but since when have they listened to experts. They just plough on regardless & this worries me greatly.
Rgds
Grant

Crohn's Disease Forum » Treatment » Remicade/Infliximab » NHS Infliximab use for Colitis under threat (NICE)