• Welcome to Crohn's Forum, a support group for people with all forms of IBD. While this community is not a substitute for doctor's advice and we cannot treat or diagnose, we find being able to communicate with others who have IBD is invaluable as we navigate our struggles and celebrate our successes. We invite you to join us.

Colonoscopy and gastroscopy

Well the fasting began at midnight and at 3pm I have to take 4 dulcolax pills and at 6 pm a glass of Pico salax ...Than at 7 30 am tomorrow another glass of Pico salax and be at the hospital at 10 30 am for my colonoscopy/endoscopy. I'm really hoping for answers as I've been suffering for years and had a major episode summer 2013 and than this august 11 2014 and it hasn't let up at all. Diahhrea, terrible abdominal pain, skin and mouth ulcers, joint pain ... have a very low b12 count as well right now. This is my first colonoscopy and endoscopy and I'm horrified to take the sedative and have a reaction and I'm horrified of both procedures as well. I hope they are not too bad and nothing terrible happens to me...well we shall see tomorrow.
Sam.

scottsma

I can only speak for myself and say the prep (2ltrs + 1ltre of water) was FAR worse than the colonoscopy.It's really important to have this done so you can get on the road to feeling better.You'll be fine.Please don't worry about the sedative.I had a light dose and talked all the way through,but you may have a higher dose.Before you know it,you'll be waking up wondering what you were worried about.Best wishes.Please let us know how it went.

Once you get past the prep, the worst part is over!

It's not a nice thought having those tests but honestly the prep is the worst part.

Focus on having a special meal once you are out of the Hospital, make it something good :)

Does anyone know how bad this dulcolax and Pico salax prep is going to be? I just took the 20mg of dulcolax (4pills) @ 3pm and have to drink the Pico salax at 6 pm. .. I already have a wicked headache all day from.no food I think...

I didn't have Ducolax but I found the Pico Salax very mild (compared to what I had before which was Klean Prep). They are not going to make you feel great due to their design, the best thing you can do is to keep your fluids up.

Hopefully by the time I post this you're over the worst already :)

I didn't find the prep too bad to be honest; just the not eating part. I felt so weak. I did the whole thing without sedative, but that's not for everyone.

You might not feel like eating much after a gastroscopy. I didn't, and I threw up some blood as well, probably due to biopsies, which was a bit alarming. You're also going to have a sore throat for a week.

I would disagree on the sore throat for a week following the upper scope.

My second scope where I had sedation it only hit that evening and went overnight. I was happy to eat toast straight away.

My first was done only with the throat numbing spray and my sore throat went after 48 hours. I was hungry but only ate after because I needed to not because I particularly wanted too.

Everyone reacts differently :)

Have never had endoscopy but those who I know have had one have not had any complaints. I agree with everyone about the prep for colonoscopy. Each GI preps patients differently. I had to drink gallon of what smelled like sewer water. The procedure was a breeze. Knocked out and just walked out and slept off the groginess.