• Welcome to Crohn's Forum, a support group for people with all forms of IBD. While this community is not a substitute for doctor's advice and we cannot treat or diagnose, we find being able to communicate with others who have IBD is invaluable as we navigate our struggles and celebrate our successes. We invite you to join us.

Camera Pill Test!

Follow up appointment with my GI doctor for the first time since being diagnosed...

When I went to the hospital with a flare up, they did a small bowel follow through test, and he said that it didn't show Crohn's in my small bowel (only where it connects to my colon), and he now wants me to do a camera pill test to see all of my small bowel to make sure there's no problems there.

he said regardless if there is or isn't, it won't affect how he chooses to treat my disease.

My biggest concern is if it gets stuck! We are already susceptible to obstructions, it just seems like a bad idea....

Has anyone done this test?
Why did you do it?
Did your results differ from a small bowel follow through results?

We are facing this test Thursday. I have requested a "dummy cam" to test if it will go through. If the dummy doesn't the pill dissolves. Check to see if that is right for you.

Ir may not matter much in the treatment but it really matters if you face surgery so it is good to have it done if you can. Good luck!

Oh a dummy pill! That's interesting, I'll have to ask about that.

Pardon my ignorance, but how does this help regarding surgery?

Hope everything goes well Thursday!!

Oh I should say we are doing the pill cam because my daughter is having surgery to remove her colon. There are conflicting MREs from the past that show & down show inflammation in the small bowel and they want to be sure the one with inflammation isn't a false positive before they operate and if they need to remove more than the colon.

This helps regarding surgery to ensure you are removing only what u need to. The goal is to hold onto the most of what you can. The pill cam let's you see the insides, most times a better view of everything. When you are cutting things away this can be very helpful.