• Welcome to Crohn's Forum, a support group for people with all forms of IBD. While this community is not a substitute for doctor's advice and we cannot treat or diagnose, we find being able to communicate with others who have IBD is invaluable as we navigate our struggles and celebrate our successes. We invite you to join us.

Starting Remicade soon - Hopefully

I am scheduled to receive my first infusion of Remicade on Tuesday. I have been on antibiotics since Monday and had another abscess drained on Wednesday. My abscess is still leaking, will this prevent me from receiving my infusion?

Just about all of my symptoms have already subsided except for the crime scene of an anus I am dealing with. Hemmies, fissures, abscesses... it's an absolute nightmare down there.

Anyway, like I said, hoping to get the infusion because I have heard the Remi can potentially help with the butt pain I am dealing with. Does anyone have any first hand experience of Remicade helping with their butt pain?

Unfortunately I will not be starting the Remicade tomorrow. Had an appt with the surgeon who drained my abscess today and he recommended I wait until the infection is completely cleared. GI Dr. agreed and tentatively delayed my first treatment until next week.

I can't foresee this fistula/abscess healing on its own within the next week so I have no idea when I'll start the Remi.

On a brighter note, my fissures seem to be healing. I am taking near painless BMs the past couple of days again. :D

I've cut most gluten and dairy from my diet and am taking the healthiest BMs I have seen in a very long time. Combination of quitting tobacco after 12yrs (month clean) and not having any alcohol in over a month is really helping too, I think. Also been eating a ton of garlic and just started taking Tummeric capsules. Not sure if those are helping, but certainly aren't hurting.

Just gonna keep an eye on the diet and try to keep this abscess/fistula clean. Hoping for the best.

Site where the abscess was cut is still draining, so I'm assuming there's still active infection. Today is my last day of antibiotics but I unfortunately saw no improvement. Doubtful that I will be starting Remicade this week either.

Also unfortunate to note that those couple of healthy BM days were short lived. Back to loose and somewhat painful BMs...

@Domesticated...I'm also due to start Remicade very soon with a new draining fistula. I am currently mid way through a 14 day 500 mg. twice a day Cipro-Flagyl antibiotic combo & will just start this week, a first-time, additional Rx of Methotrexate 12.5, once weekly. Prior to this juncture I have been both Methotrexate & Remicade naive. My GI has recommended I proceed with the Remicade...Perhaps the distinction is an abscess versus a fistula formation? Perhaps the distinction is other independent variables? I'm finding standardized treatment protocol are not that easy to identify & overlay as a template approach for each of our individualized Crohn's circumstances....

GI Dr. gave the green light for the Remicade. I just got done with my first infusion. I slept through most of it and so far haven't noticed a single side effect. I am still experiencing drainage where the incision was made, but it definitely seems to be doing better. Tapering off of the Prednisone as well. Started at 40, week at 35, now down to 30mg/daily, and finished my Cipro/Flagyl 2wk scripts yesterday. Looking forward to being pill/pain free and not having to wear my "man-pons" as I like to call 'em.

Wishing you the best of luck, Jay. I'm still not sure if I made the right decision following through with the Remicade, but I reckon time will tell.

I started with Remicade last May, after trying everything else to heal my fistulas. Improvement started from the first infusion. I hope it works as well for you. I had an infusion today too, and it made me extremely tired. I've not had any bad side effects so far. Good luck :ghug: