Share Facebook
Crohn's Disease Forum » Parents of Kids with IBD » Fissure vs bleeding from inside?

10-26-2014, 01:57 PM   #1
Mehita
Forum Monitor

My Support Groups:
Fissure vs bleeding from inside?

How can we tell the difference between blood from a fissure and blood coming from inside?

No pain w BM, no itching or burning. He says it feels moist or like he's leaking from his bum. Normal BM's twice a day.

Today he was at tennis and had to leave for a BM. He came back and said there was blood on the toilet paper but not in the bowl. He continued playing tennis but complained of stomach cramps when he was running around. We left and about 20 min later when we got home, he went to the bathroom to wipe again and the tp was a very light pink.

I'm thinking fissure (but he won't let me look)... any thoughts?

Remicade is due November 14.
- Multivitamins, Probiotics, Vit D
- Small bowel resection, Jan 2013
10-26-2014, 02:23 PM   #2
DustyKat
Super Moderator

We havenít dealt with anal fissures at our end so canít speak from that side of experience.

However, with the patients I have nursed I have never had one with anal fissure that doesnít complain of pain when using their bowels and some have severe pain. Based on that I would say it isnít a fissure but I may well be wrong.

No itching, pain or tenderness I would have a tendency to say no to haemorrhoids but it is possible to have haemorrhoids with no other symptoms aside from bleeding. If this is the case he may have an internal haemorrhoid??

I hope you soon find the cause and it is nothing of concern Mehita.

Dusty. xxx
10-26-2014, 02:45 PM   #3
Farmwife
Forum Monitor

My Support Groups:
∑ NG Tube
Yes my dd always has some level of pain with fissures.
Would he let his doc look down there?
dx Juvenile Arthritis
(12/13/13)
dx Erthema Nodosum
(8/13/14)
Bladder and Bowel Dysfunction
(10/14/13)
Ehlers-Danlos Syndrome dx (1/26/17)
Remicade started on (9/8/14)Every 4 wks
Azathroprine started on 10/9/15
EN/EEN- since (1/12/13)
Past Meds- LDN, Humira, Pred, MTX, Sulfasalazine
10-26-2014, 02:52 PM   #4
Maya142
Forum Monitor

My Support Groups:
It does sound like a fissure. My daughter has had one or two and she describes exactly what you said - light pink blood on TP, as they get worse it becomes red and she sometimes sees some in the toilet bowl. She also complained of pain with BMs.

She certainly would never let me look but did let her GI look!
Juvenile Ankylosing Spondylitis at 16

Mom of S (23)
dx with JIA at 14
Ankylosing Spondylitis at 18
10-26-2014, 03:45 PM   #5
my little penguin
Forum Monitor

My Support Groups:
For DS it wasn't a fissure but he has prolapse/proctitis so blood in the tp is just that flaring up .

Hope it resolves soon
10-26-2014, 04:21 PM   #6
Mehita
Forum Monitor

My Support Groups:
I asked again. He won't let me look. I asked if he'd let his dr look and got a no there too. He's at that age. He has agreed to poop reports for the next week though. Pick your battles, right? *sigh*

On a positive note, if he can hold off until next Saturday, he will have stayed out of the hospital for an entire year. November 1st is also his one year Remicade anniversary and he's been doing spectacular on it. Not even a stomach ache (until the cramping today). We also just passed diagnosis day last week. It's been six crazy years!
10-26-2014, 05:02 PM   #7
my little penguin
Forum Monitor

My Support Groups:
Will he let your DH look?
10-26-2014, 05:23 PM   #8
Brian'sMom

My Support Groups:
My son has a fissure that would open when he was flaring. He would complain that it would sting. And hurt a lot when wiping or having a BM.

Praying for Remission
Vedolizumab 8-8-14
Ileostomy 3/22/14
Multivitamin,Iron,Vit D

Total EEN 12-10-13 to:TPN 1-29-14 - 4-2-14
Tried:Azathioprine,Pred,Pentasa,Cimzia Bi weekly & MTX 9/2013 to 8/2014, Humira 1/2011-9/2013, w/oral mtx 5 mos in 2013. Remicade: Had allergic reaction Jan 2011 Built up antibodies by 3rd infusion.
Has done round of Flagyl due to abcess 12/10 and 10-21-13 which helped both heal quickly.
10-26-2014, 07:44 PM   #9
CrohnsKidMom

My Support Groups:
My son has an always suffered from constipation, and before diagnosis developed an anal fissure and resulting skin tag. I would sometimes notice a little wet spot on his undies when doing laundry, which was a bit of weeping from the fissure. He would have a lot of pain when having a BM, and there would be blood when he wiped. We now make every attempt to keep his stools soft, and he no longer has bleeding or weeping, but it still does cause some pain. A swipe of zinc oxide cream helps.
Would your son be willing to do a bit of a self exam to see if he can see a skin tag? He might also have an uncomfortable feeling, as though there is something there. My son says it often feels like his undies have crept up on him! If it is a fissure, keeping the stools soft wil help it to heal.
10-28-2014, 08:12 PM   #10
Mehita
Forum Monitor

My Support Groups:
Blip. I'm calling it a blip. No blood since the episode on Sunday, so we're just going to move on.

Based on what you guys all said, I think internal hemorrhoid makes the most sense. Thanks for all the input!
10-28-2014, 08:49 PM   #11
my little penguin
Forum Monitor

My Support Groups:
We have lots of blips with DS .
Now we wait for 3-4 days worth since two days is his std blip .
Than nothing for months .
Glad it resolved .

Crohn's Disease Forum » Parents of Kids with IBD » Fissure vs bleeding from inside?