• Welcome to Crohn's Forum, a support group for people with all forms of IBD. While this community is not a substitute for doctor's advice and we cannot treat or diagnose, we find being able to communicate with others who have IBD is invaluable as we navigate our struggles and celebrate our successes. We invite you to join us.

Bad Hangovers on Remicade?

Hey everyone,

I started Remicade about 3 months ago and I love it, cured my severe Crohns relapse in just about a week and a half, and I dont have to worry about taking it everyday, just every 2 months, 1 hour infusion, and I'm good.

Nevertheless, before Remicade, I would have no problem (most of the time) with hangovers. However, the last time I drank, I only had 3 drinks (vodka), and a couple of shots, and the next day I was in bed all day with a horrible headache. Vomiting vile 3-4 times and no appetite. Seriously wasted my whole day in bed, then on the couch. Nauseous. Felt horrible.
No problems with my crohns though. Either way I have already tested alcohol with my crohns and there is no problem, I can drink how I want with no abdominal pain or stool change. It was mostly headache and nausea, classic hangover problems.

I'm assuming it's the Remicade because I know it lowers your immune system, making it harder for the body to recover from even a common cold.

I was wondering if anyone else had the same problem or anything similar.

Hangovers don't have anything to do with your immune system. You don't mention previous history with crohn's or your age. You don't mention how much was in each of the vodkas and how soon you consumed this, along with anything to eat. Lots of variables. Could have been a stomach virus or food poisoning.

Hangovers are due to the processing of alcohol in our body. It breaks down to form aldehydes in the body. The article didn't look like a peer-reviewed journal to me. I'll stick with the chemistry sources that some of the respondents mentioned.

Regardless, if bad hangovers are a problem, eliminate the KNOWN cause. Let the remicade do its thing.

I'm 23 and there was quite a bit of vodka my drinks, but still, I've had days where I had much more to drink, and never had a hangover like that before.

anyways it was probably just a weird day, a one time thing, nothing to do with remicade i guess form the responses you guys have written.

I'm still new to this so any feed back is much appreciated..

Thanks everyone!!

Jennifer

Adminstrator
Staff member
I wasn't drinking while on Remicade so I don't have any personal experience to share but other medications I've taken like 6MP and Allopurinol made me have worse hangovers that lasted longer than normal. Are you currently on any other medications? Remicade is not metabolized in the liver and from what I've read, does not interact with alcohol.

If you haven't drank in a while then it's possible that you're body isn't able to handle that amount yet so you may be dealing with a simple hangover. In that case be sure to drink lots of water while you're drinking alcohol and after you've finished drinking as this will help to reduce your hangover symptoms.

Be sure to contact your doctor if you have these symptoms without drinking as it is possible for Remicade to cause different forms of liver damage but people generally notice symptoms early on (around 2-5 infusions). http://livertox.nih.gov/Infliximab.htm

I'll second the advice to eliminate the KNOWN cause of the hangover vs speculating about Remicade. That's easy for me to say, though, because alcohol sets my Crohn's off so I can't/don't desire to drink in excess.

It's funny how everyone's trigger foods are different, isn't it? I can't drink too much alcohol or pop, but I can eat terrible greasy McDonalds and fast food all month long. Figure that out!

It's funny how everyone's trigger foods are different, isn't it? I can't drink too much alcohol or pop, but I can eat terrible greasy McDonalds and fast food all month long. Figure that out!
so weird, I eat salades every day, drink coffee twice a day minimum, eat all kinds of fruits, nuts, dairy, CORN!! everything, and I have no reaction (crohns wise)

I think it was just a bad day, like sometimes you can have 1 drink and feel horrible next day, while other times you can have 5 drinks and be top shape the next day.. anyway thanks :)

p.s. i love bacon <3