• Welcome to Crohn's Forum, a support group for people with all forms of IBD. While this community is not a substitute for doctor's advice and we cannot treat or diagnose, we find being able to communicate with others who have IBD is invaluable as we navigate our struggles and celebrate our successes. We invite you to join us.

New to forum, need advice about stricture

I was diagnosed with Crohn's about a year ago after I had my gall bladder removed and the surgeon said he could see the what looked like Crohn's. This made sense to me because I always had abdominal pain but thought that was just how I was. I am now 36 but can remember symptoms back to 23. My main symptom has always been abdominal pain and occasional diarrhea. So for the last year I have been on budesonide but it seems to have stopped working. I had bloody stools for a few days so the GI switched me to Pentasa and Prednisone. I also had a CT that showed a narrowing or stricture in the terminal ileum. Not sure if they are the same thing? Not sure how bad it is I don't have my appointment with him until November 13th. Ever since I started the Prednisone I have been so bloated that I feel like my stomach is going to pop. A couple of nights ago I felt like the food was just sitting in my stomach not going anywhere and I finally had to vomit to get relief. Was that a blockage? or does prednisone cause that? Since then I have been worried to eat. Should I keep eating or switch to liquids? This is the first time I have actually vomited from this disease. Any advice would be appreciated.

Hello! Yes, a narrowing and a stricture are the same thing. Prednisone should not typically cause vomiting, although it can cause bloating. But if you have a stricture or a blockage, that can also cause bloating because it prevents food from moving through as it should.

If you have a blockage or stricture, predinose should help to take some of the inflammation away (how many mg of pred are you taking?) But if the stricture is due to scar tissue, and not just inflammation, then the pred might not do very much.

Are you passing gas and stool? Vomiting, painful cramping, and not passing gas or stool are symptoms of a blockage or obstruction, which is a medical emergency. If you have an obstruction, eating can be dangerous.

If you think you have a bad stricture or a partial blockage, i think switching to clear liquids for a couple days, and the working in some smoothies and other very soft foods may be good. But if you start vomiting or stop passing gas or stool, you should go to the ER.

Do you think you can wait until the 13th to see the Dr? If, not give a call and see if they can squeeze you in sooner. You might need a stronger medicine at this point, more radiology images, or a surgical consult.

Good luck!

I am on 20mg per day of prednisone. The nurse said the narrowing was both active inflammation and scar tissue. I am passing small amounts of stool (mine are always very thin). I do have abdominal pain/cramping but I almost always have that and it's not much worse than normal. So if I continue to have the bloating problem what will they do? Just switch my meds? I had a bunch of blood tests to see about going on Imuran but don't have the results yet? I don't really want to have to feel like this for months. Would they recommend surgery for this?

Did you start on a higher dose of pred and thean wen down? Typically, for a bad flare, I start at 40mg and then wean from there. That's great that you are still passing stool. I was in the same boat as you for the better part of the year. I kept my food very simple and very soft (smoothie, yogurt, soup, avocado).

I don't know for sure what the Doc's will do, but most likely, they will try to find a medication that will reduce to inflammation for you like Imuran, Humira, or Remicade. Remicade kicks in a little faster than Humira, I believe, just FYI.
But sometimes these meds just don't work, especially in the case that there is lots of scar tissue, and then surgery would be the next step. In my case, I had to have the surgery, but I've been feeling GREAT ever since the surgery.

I hope you feel better soon.

I started on 20mg and have not tapered yet. I am anxious to get off the prednisone though I am nervous about the Imuran too. I appreciate your comments. Although today was my first post, I have been coming to the forum on a regular basis for the past year. It has really calmed my fears and makes me feel not so alone. Thanks for replying.