Share Facebook

08-26-2009, 07:50 PM   #1
littleone

metamucil

does anyone take a glass or 2 of metamucil a day to help manage symptoms? my grandma's a nurse and has divuriculitis that really bothers her and started taking citrucel everyday to help her symptoms and to day a dr told me a glass or so a day may help me until i get home to see my dr.

so i'm wondering if enyone else takes metamucil, citrucel, benefiber etc. daily and if it helps. if you can't heat a lot of whole grain, does it bother you?
08-26-2009, 08:24 PM   #2
GoJohnnyGo
One Badass Dude

I tried Metamucil as recommended by my Gastroenterologist. It sorta worked, but I still had frequency issues. I was subsequently prescribed Questran. Not 100 percent yet.

I still nibble on Metamucil cookies, and mix up a bit of Benefiber into liquid every once in a while.
08-26-2009, 08:55 PM   #3
Lisa5326

I do when I am not regular or if it is difficult to go, I have constipation not diarrhea. I also definitely do if I take pain meds cause it stops me up big time, super scary.

Right now I go once a day or once every other day and would if it became less than that.

I get increased pain though when I drink any sort of this type of fiber help. I haven't cut down on whole grains either, they don't seem to affect me to adversely.
08-26-2009, 09:07 PM   #4
littleone

go johnny was the frequensy cut down at all? and what is questran?

lisai have more constipation too. like i was constipated for a few days (maybe a few bunny turds) but when i finally went yesterday, i went 3 or 4 times and was in pain. it all sucks. but i almost always feel like i have to go. whe n you take it, does it help you go more often? well. like. ok so wehn you take it, can you almst guarentee that you'll go every morning/night? or does it just help you to not be constipated... if that made any sense. haha the pain is what i'm primarily concerned about. i don't take any kinds of pain meds for anything. even when i got my wisdom teeth out. so i'm afriad i'l be in a lot of pain from it.
08-26-2009, 10:19 PM   #5
GoJohnnyGo
One Badass Dude

Questran (also known as Cholestyramine) is a prescription drug. It's a powder you mix with liquid and drink. Tastes like really bad orange koolaid mixed with cornstarch. Yum!

I typically "go" about 9-12 times a day. All diarrhea. Questran cuts it down to about seven, and my stool is loosely formed
08-26-2009, 10:29 PM   #6
imisspopcorn
Punctuation Impaired

My Support Groups:
GoJohnnyGo said:
Questran (also known as Cholestyramine) is a prescription drug. It's a powder you mix with liquid and drink. Tastes like really bad orange koolaid mixed with cornstarch. Yum!

I typically "go" about 9-12 times a day. All diarrhea. Questran cuts it down to about seven, and my stool is loosely formed
Did you have your gallbladder out? My doc prescribed the Questran for me because of the acidic D I was having post op. The stuff is awful. It feels like plaster sittting in my stomach after I drink it. Why can't they make it in pill form
08-26-2009, 10:55 PM   #7
GoJohnnyGo
One Badass Dude

imisspopcorn said:
Did you have your gallbladder out? My doc prescribed the Questran for me because of the acidic D I was having post op. The stuff is awful. It feels like plaster sittting in my stomach after I drink it. Why can't they make it in pill form
Yep. My gallbladder was removed at the same time as my bowel resection twenty years ago. So it's short bowel syndrome on top of the bile issues. Naturally, when my Crohn's is flaring, the situation even gets worse.
08-27-2009, 12:17 AM   #8
shazamataz

I haven;t tried Metamucil as have been recommended low fibre due to a stricture.

I. too, seem to not have many D problems and tend to get bunged up. I find Lactulose works really well. I don;t know what it is called other than in New Zealand, but it is a synthetic sugar-based syrup, that tastes not too bad and you don;t need too much. Apparantly it cuts down on over reabsorbtion of fluids in the large bowel.

I also like it because it seems to work 'gently' - no sudden explosions, just encourages a normal poo.
08-27-2009, 12:50 AM   #9
GoJohnnyGo
One Badass Dude

I like Benefiber actually. It's made from something called inulin, as opposed to psyllium (main ingredient of Metamucil).

I can mix it right into my water bottle at work, and with it's flavourless and non-gritty qualities you can't even tell it was added. It dissolves really well. It's mildly effective and a good addition to the three packets of Questran I take daily.

LOL. Metamucil, Questran, Imodium, Benefiber, Probiotics. I take all of 'em and still get the runs.
08-30-2009, 05:15 PM   #10
Lisa5326

littleone said:
go johnny was the frequensy cut down at all? and what is questran?

lisai have more constipation too. like i was constipated for a few days (maybe a few bunny turds) but when i finally went yesterday, i went 3 or 4 times and was in pain. it all sucks. but i almost always feel like i have to go. whe n you take it, does it help you go more often? well. like. ok so wehn you take it, can you almst guarentee that you'll go every morning/night? or does it just help you to not be constipated... if that made any sense. haha the pain is what i'm primarily concerned about. i don't take any kinds of pain meds for anything. even when i got my wisdom teeth out. so i'm afriad i'l be in a lot of pain from it.
So...I was taking Miralax every morning when I was taking pain meds everyday, and it helped me to go almost everyday. If I didn't go with that after a few days of nothing I would do a serving of Milk of Magnesia at night, still with Miralax in the morning. This combo definitely made me go and pushed me more towards diarrhea, which imo is better than NOTHING coming out! But I would say that miralax is a 'softener' and also a 'push-me-alonger' which i think come hand in hand. Milk of Mag is more...abrupt, works better i think. I used miralax to keep me going everyday, and milk of mag to jumpstart me if there wasn't anything in a day or so. Right now I use coffee and flax seed cereal, but definitely gives me some pain before I go each day, but that may just be normal for me no matter what I use to go. Am I confusing? I feel like it
08-31-2009, 07:20 AM   #11
kenny

I have to stick to mostly liquids with puddings, apple sauce and such. That keeps me very runny which takes some of the strain off the inflamed sections. I use liquid meal replacements to keep up the calorie count and essential nutrients. If I were to take a fiber supplement like metamucial I am afraid I would thicken up and blow another hole in my intestinal wall. One is enough thanks!

Diagnosed July of 2009 / Surgery Oct 2009 / 175mg Imuran since Jan 2010
08-31-2009, 10:08 AM   #12
crohnsproof

GoJohnnyGo.
I read your post with interest. I also have major diarrhea after gall bladder, bowel resection. I've taken Questran for years, or Welchol (the questran type pills). They work fairly well to reduce the bile acids. However recently I read an article about Calcium Carbonates helping diarrhea. I take 3 pills a day and it has 'stopped', mind you, 'stopped' the diarrhea. There are two types of Calcium out there, Citrates and carbonates. The citrates absorb almost 100% in your stomach. The stomach only absorbs 40% on the carbonates and the remainder is absorbed in your bile acid. This reduces the diarrhea. Since taking the carbonates I also keep an eye out for anything with 'magnesium' added.
It's been a miracle change for me, that's for sure.

Crohnsproof
09-01-2009, 09:15 AM   #13
Lisa5326

So! You'll see this in another thread probably also but, I was put on a two-day colonoscopy prep and the first day (yesterday) is just drinking a TON of liquids. I drank a liter of tea and a liter of apple juice and this REALLY started me up! So if you didn't want to drink that stuff you could try tea or juice, and a lot of it, ha! I noticed movement about midway through the first liter just so you know...
09-01-2009, 11:46 PM   #14
littleone

Lisa5326 said:
So...I was taking Miralax every morning when I was taking pain meds everyday, and it helped me to go almost everyday. If I didn't go with that after a few days of nothing I would do a serving of Milk of Magnesia at night, still with Miralax in the morning. This combo definitely made me go and pushed me more towards diarrhea, which imo is better than NOTHING coming out! But I would say that miralax is a 'softener' and also a 'push-me-alonger' which i think come hand in hand. Milk of Mag is more...abrupt, works better i think. I used miralax to keep me going everyday, and milk of mag to jumpstart me if there wasn't anything in a day or so. Right now I use coffee and flax seed cereal, but definitely gives me some pain before I go each day, but that may just be normal for me no matter what I use to go. Am I confusing? I feel like it
you know, i totally forgot about miralax until i read your thread about the prep. my junior year of school, maybe sophomore too..., i was taking a little capfull about the size of a pepto measuring thing, in a glass of gingerale every night after dinner. and i'm pretty sure it really helped. they dr had me stop taking it after 6 mos or so b/c it's aparently not the best thing to take day in and day out.

coffe was in my daily routine. i had a half cup to a cup in the morning and would sit on the couch for awhile watching the news and would either go right befoer or right after my shower and that was usually it. then in nov it stopped working so well b/c coffee really started makeing me feel gross and all i can drink is the simply smooth anyway.

if it's like ripping out your insides pain, then that may not be fore me. haha. your not confussing. i type like i'm actually talking tho which is really bad. b/c when i talk, i still don't always make sense.. hahaha
09-01-2009, 11:58 PM   #15
imisspopcorn
Punctuation Impaired

My Support Groups:
crohnsproof said:
GoJohnnyGo.
I read your post with interest. I also have major diarrhea after gall bladder, bowel resection. I've taken Questran for years, or Welchol (the questran type pills). They work fairly well to reduce the bile acids. However recently I read an article about Calcium Carbonates helping diarrhea. I take 3 pills a day and it has 'stopped', mind you, 'stopped' the diarrhea. There are two types of Calcium out there, Citrates and carbonates. The citrates absorb almost 100% in your stomach. The stomach only absorbs 40% on the carbonates and the remainder is absorbed in your bile acid. This reduces the diarrhea. Since taking the carbonates I also keep an eye out for anything with 'magnesium' added.

Crohnsproof
Thanks for the Calicium info. I hate the Questran and save it for when I know I'm gonna really need it. Like a after eating a really fatty meal...Calcium will be a plus as well.
09-02-2009, 03:08 AM   #16
GoJohnnyGo
One Badass Dude

crohnsproof said:
GoJohnnyGo.

Crohnsproof
Strangely enough, I've been taking 2 500 mgs a day of Calcium Carbonate for quite a while (for bones and joints). I was not aware of its stool-binding properties. Alas, it seems to be of minimal effect. Adding one more pill is not going to make a huge difference.

I have one really good poop first thing in the morning. Followed by 6-8 incrementally worsening diarrhea episodes a day. This is with a daily regimen of Questran (full dosage), Imodium, Inulin and sufficient dietary fiber. Very puzzling.

Thanks for the tip, though.