• Welcome to Crohn's Forum, a support group for people with all forms of IBD. While this community is not a substitute for doctor's advice and we cannot treat or diagnose, we find being able to communicate with others who have IBD is invaluable as we navigate our struggles and celebrate our successes. We invite you to join us.

My Crohns Story

OK, this isn't going to be anything new I imagine but I'm new around these parts so I'll introduce myself with a fun story about my experience of this horrible disease.

I was diagnosed in December 2007 after I was rushed into hospital pretty much on deaths door. I'd been ill for weeks, couldn't eat, in total agony and just had no idea what it was. I was at the doctors every week with it getting worse and never once did they suggest it was CD. I was just being told to take Immodium Plus to stop the diarrhoea which didn't work in the slightest. The gave me tramadol for the pain which caused my heart rate to go crazy. When I went into A&E i was put on morphine and a heart monitor and all that jazz for about two weeks while they ran tests and figured out i had Crohns.

Since then I've discovered I'm alergic to codine, azothioprine and I'm anaemic and b-12 deficient. I had pancreatitis from the azothioprine which nearly killed me and many cancelled hospital appointments later I managed to flare up again on my summer holiday this year. I had to fly back a couple of weeks cos I thought I was dying, hadn't eaten much of anything for about two weeks, on the toilet 25+ times a day and just felt like I my body was giving up. I was in hospital pretty much as soon as I landed and was sectioned off with suspected swine flu. That meant I was being treated for something I turned out not to have, while the actual problem of my crohns flaring was left relatively untouched apart from some paracetamol (NHS - Good Times!!).

I was told yesterday that in order to avoid having to have an operation I'm going to have to participate in aggressive treatment of my Crohns, which is how they've come to the decision that I'm to start on Remicade in a couple of weeks. I don't know much about it or what I'm supposed to expect but I'm pretty scared of the talk surrounding side effects.

No specific foods seem to trigger it for me, I'm a big eater and eat mostly anything. I've heard rumours about tomatoes but it seems different for everyone. Much to the doctors' dismay, I'm a smoker with no real hope of being able to quit, which is one of my major downfalls...or soon to be.

All your stories and experiences have helped me a great deal and I'm still learning loads from the forum, so thanks guys.

Hope you're all doing as well as can be expected. Love xx

Thanks Shantel,

I agree with you, I think smoking is a major part of my problem with CD so I need to get my butt in gear with quitting. I'm going to ask my doctor about hypnotherapy as that can apparently make you hate even the thought of smoking.

So many people sound confident about Remicade so I'm nervous but in a kinda good way cos I want to be well and if Remicade is the answer then I'm all for it. I have to just be a soldier and get over the needles thing haha.

Trysha

Staff member
Hello Serafina,
It was very hard for me to quit smoking, but I had to do it.
I tried hypnotherapy, and it does work but I just had to try a social cigarette and blew the whole thing.
Finally, I settled for acupuncture by a fully qualified MD in general practice who was dedicated to his patients to stop them smoking.
He was Chinese Canadian and well qualified in acupuncture techniques.
I had a last cigarette before I went in and had the acupuncture and have never smoked since, that is now 20 years ago.
He advised to keep away from smoke altogether.
I feel for you and do hope you are feeling better.
By the way, there are 4000 by products in cigarette smoke and,one of them is cyanide,
and any of them could cause us harm.
good wishes
annsplash

Hello and welcome! All I have to say is that I have enough x-rays to make a skeleton of myself and I don't think my lungs are connected to my colon:shifty-t: Good luck with the smoking! I'm in the military and it seems like everyone but me smokes. There is hope, I have seen many people quit and not light up another smoke! It seems like you have a good doc too. Good luck to you and we're here for you!